Aloha Shirts for Casual Dining...in Alaska?

califgary

Hey Gang: I just had an interesting thought, almost always I wear Aloha (not loud ones) shirts to dinner in the MDR during casual evenings (yes I wear a tux on formal nites ok?). Usually we do the warm weather tropical cruises.

We are doing 14 day Alaska next year and I thought it would be fun to wear some nice aloha shirts then - going on the Amsterdam which I hear is one of the more classier vessels out there.

Is this totally inappropriate should I stick with single color polo shirts?

There are enough fasion police out there so let me know if I will warrant a citation by wearing the beautiful Aloha shirt to casual dinner.

I would think that Hawaiian shirts, especially the ones made of rayon or silk, are a perfectly tasteful choice for gentleman diners. They look rather sharp with a nice pair of slacks. So say I anyway.:D

Would you believe on our May 2008 Alaska cruise to Alaska, our first HAL cruise by the way, there was one man hubby and I loved to watch as he came into the MDR every night?

He would have on a different SILK Tux every night. Our last Formal night he came in dressed in a Silk FORMAL ALOHA TUX!! That thing was so GORGEOUS!!!

Joanie

This is another thread that brought a :) to my face....just like those Aloha shirts do, in the MDR on smart casual nights.

Joanie, I've got to admit "formal" and "Aloha" in the same sentence makes my eyes cross, even when you add the word "silk".....but if you say it was gorgeous, I believe you!

What about the Med?

My DW and I have been on 4 Med cruises during the last 6 years. I frequently wore tropical shirts in the MDR without ever getting a citation or even a stare. Did notice, however, most guys wore "traditional" polo type shirts, etc. on casual nights, but you certainly won't be alone if you wear a nice aloha shirt. Such shirts were fairly rare on shore excursions on our Med cruises.

This is another thread that brought a :) to my face....just like those Aloha shirts do, in the MDR on smart casual nights.

Joanie, I've got to admit "formal" and "Aloha" in the same sentence makes my eyes cross, even when you add the word "silk".....but if you say it was gorgeous, I believe you!

It was definitely in very good taste, almost but not quite gaudy. I could not believe the man carried it off so beautifully!! That was the last time I did not take my camera to the MDR. I wish I'd have had it with me as it was a truly beautiful tux abd I'd like to have had a photo of he and his equally beautifully attired wife!!

Joanie

Close your eyes.

Now think Magnum PI.:D

Now Tom Selleck. :p

Does that help?;)

So that means I need a Detroit Tigers baseball cap as well?

Aloha shirts are untucked for casual nights, tucked in for formal

Himself: Nor would I wear a long sleeved plaid shirt in Hawaii. Too dang hot.

So that means I need a Detroit Tigers baseball cap as well?

Couldn't hurt.

Aloha shirts are untucked for casual nights, tucked in for formal

Now you sound exactly like my husband.:D

Himself: Nor would I wear a long sleeved plaid shirt in Hawaii. Too dang hot.

Now it's working for me:D. Thx for the perspective;).

Oh yeah, perspective is one of my favorite words. Imagination with a capital P.:)

Archived