Dining on the Lido deck

We always go to the main DR for dinner every night. However, this year because of the airlines charging so much for luggage, and our desire to just be laid back, we have decided we may just go casual and not worry about going to the main DR each night. Can anyone tell me how the food on the Lido compares to the food at night in the main DR? I know it may not be totally the same, but in all of our cruises we have never ate there at night. Thanks!

I usually only eat dinner at the Lido deck once during a 7 day cruise, and you may find a few of the same things from the MDR menu, but on the second night ( elegant night ) you wont find lobster tails for example.

I personally would not like to eat at the Lido buffet every night since that is usually where I eat lunch. I think now that Carnival's dress code is so much more relaxed, you should give it a go at least a couple of nights if you can. All you have to do is bring one or two very lightweight outfits that you can mix and match, and you could avoid the elegant nights if you wish. I do however understand your reluctance to pack too much clothes/re the charges that the airlines demand now for checked baggage. So you wont go hungry at the buffet for sure, there is more than enough to choose from at the buffet. I would just miss a lot of my favorites from the MDR. JMHO:)

The Lido has a lot of the same food as the MDR. You have to make your own presentation (do your own plating). Also the lido version is sitting in warming trays and may not look as fresh as what is served in the MDR. I'm not sure if they have escargot.

The lido is a buffet. Meaning you have to schlep your own food. And go back for drinks, and go back for refills, and go back for courses, etc.

I can go to buffets here at home. When I'm cruising, I avoid them whenever possible. It's worth it to me to accessorize my outfits so that I'm presentable in the MDR, as many nights as possible.

I have found the lido has similar items, and I love it because it's not as crowded as lunch and breakfast. You won't find lobster, but some of the carved meats are served at the lido for dinner, and quite good. They have some of the same appetizers too, but not everything. I prefer the lido, but DH likes dining room, so we usually only lido it once or twice.

You should do the MDR for breakfast and lunch, and lido for dinner. That would be ideal IMHO! I like to eat and get out for more fun at night!

O what the heck, go to the MDR in your shorts and tank top.

no one will post a picture but they will talk about you here on the boards, up until a question comes up about tipping.

As a matter of fact if you tip real good no one will even give you a second look.

go for it, I am on my next cruise.

We always go to the main DR for dinner every night. However, this year because of the airlines charging so much for luggage, and our desire to just be laid back, we have decided we may just go casual and not worry about going to the main DR each night. Can anyone tell me how the food on the Lido compares to the food at night in the main DR? I know it may not be totally the same, but in all of our cruises we have never ate there at night. Thanks!

In case you have not heard or read on CC, the dining room dress policy has changed quite a bit. Jeans and shorts are allowed on all but elegant nights. On our last cruise, DH and I wore shorts and polos/t-shirts to the dining room. Not only did we have fewer pieces of luggage than in cruises past, we were very relaxed and comfortable all week long.

Having said that, we have never eaten dinner on the Lido so I cannot comment.

Have a great cruise, dining however you decide.

Lido is better....more choices...no waiting...take as much of what you want.

But, if the MDR is your thing...wear whatever you want. No matter what people tell you...if you wear shorts into the MDR in the evening...it won't affect the taste of other people's food.

While you don't have many days til your cruise-take some mix and match things and don't miss out on the MDR. A buffet is a buffet, and on non sea days you have no choice but to have lunch there, but to skip dinner in the MDR especially on formal night is almost a sin.

Hello,

On one cruise we ate at the Lido deck 5 nights. It was something we just wanted to do.

didn't have to dress up and then change......It wasn't as crowded.......go within a certain time frame.....we liked it as a change.

Howdy folks, new guy here. I have finally booked a cruise for my wife and I. She has been talking about going on a cruise for years now. I always demurred, based on my previous experiences "cruising".

I know, I know, you can't compare the amenities found on a Carnival Cruise Lines ship (Ecstasy) to a 688 class submarine - but memories do tend to linger!

I would really like to be able to eat most of our dinners in the MDR. Except for elegant night, would a pair of docker-style pants (cargo, etc), "Hawaiian" (but in more muted colors) style shirt and presentable "hikers" be acceptable most nights? I guess my wife would be wearing a sun dress or similar item.

And finally - we are Texans, and will be sailing from Galveston. I don't own a tuxedo, and don't plan to rent one. I do however have a nice western cut jacket and Wrangler Riatas, pressed white shirt and Scully/Wahmaker vest (with dress boots, of course). Will I be tossed overboard if I showed up like that? I promise to wear either a western style bow-tie or gambler style bow tie. I'll even leave the black Resistol at home, if I must...

Howdy folks, new guy here. I have finally booked a cruise for my wife and I. She has been talking about going on a cruise for years now. I always demurred, based on my previous experiences "cruising".

I know, I know, you can't compare the amenities found on a Carnival Cruise Lines ship (Ecstasy) to a 688 class submarine - but memories do tend to linger!

I would really like to be able to eat most of our dinners in the MDR. Except for elegant night, would a pair of docker-style pants (cargo, etc), "Hawaiian" (but in more muted colors) style shirt and presentable "hikers" be acceptable most nights? I guess my wife would be wearing a sun dress or similar item. Absolutely fine

And finally - we are Texans, and will be sailing from Galveston. I don't own a tuxedo, and don't plan to rent one. I do however have a nice western cut jacket and Wrangler Riatas, pressed white shirt and Scully/Wahmaker vest (with dress boots, of course). Will I be tossed overboard if I showed up like that? I promise to wear either a western style bow-tie or gambler style bow tie. I'll even leave the black Resistol at home, if I must...True Texas style, I think it's great. If you're on the Ecstasy, don't be surprised if Steve Cassel tries to put you in the country music show!:D

You'll look fine, and bring the black Resistol.

< snip> "Hawaiian" (but in more muted colors) style shirt <snip>

I didn't know they came muted. Mine (at least the ones I cruise in) are all from Rima in St. Maarten and are quite bright. As far as formal night goes, I see nothing wrong with your plans. I do carry my tuxedo and white dinner jacket, but it sounds like you plan to dress nicely and that is the intent of the rules.

Enjoy your cruise.

Doc

OP- I can see your point about wanting to save on packing, but you might want to just consider skipping the "elegant" nights. My DH hates dressing up for dinner (he says he dresses up for work, so he doesn't want to on vacation). This past cruise he and my DS wore shorts and polos to dinner each night. They both felt more comfortable than wearing pants and didn't stand out either.

I, on the other hand, work from home, so dressing up a little bit is a treat... so I always over pack :D

I didn't know they came muted. Mine (at least the ones I cruise in) are all from Rima in St. Maarten and are quite bright.

The ones I have are all cotton and are pastel blues/tans/greens with equally muted island motifs. They are from Bugle Boy, Old Navy and Puritan - not nearly as authentic as those from exotic destinations. In fact, I had one gentleman call them "Florida Shirts". I do have some bright/loud traditional style Hawaiian shirts, made of some clingy and hot material. They are not nearly as comfortable to wear.

You'll look fine, and bring the black Resistol.

Good, I hope there is room under my seat (or a hat check) since I seem to be one of the few with enough manners to remove my headwear at the table.

As far as joining the Country Review on stage, that made me laugh. My wife met me at a small dive bar in Newport News Virginia where I was playing rhythm guitar and doing backup vocals for a small group. That was after I was discharged from the Navy, and I was working at the shipyard there until I found work back home. I haven't picked up the guitar in a lonnnnggg time. In fact, all three of them are up in the attic gathering dust!

Will there be room to dance? Just love a good waltz or a two-step! In fact, 24 years ago the theme song for our wedding was Earnest Tubb's "Waltz Across Texas".

My DH is not fond of the MDR at all. We compromise. I can say that the nights we eat at the Lido turn out to be more relaxing and we find a whole lot more time to enjoy ourselves. Actually, one of the best meals I've eaten (aside from eating in the Supper Club) was in the Lido one night. Surprised even me:)

We joke a lot about his "dinner face" when I say that I want to go to the MDR... it's a very sad face, but he'll go with me. Sometimes, he even enjoys it. I check the menu's and if there isn't something I'm wild about, we just relax and make it a casual evening.

I feel better about not going to the MDR when we have anytime dining - our waitstaff has always felt they did something wrong when we don't show for dinner, and I can't handle the guilt!

Wow, I never expected to get so many replies to my original post!!! Thanks so so much for everyones help! My husband and I have been as I said on a fair amount of cruises before, but when we got charged 180.00 last yr for checking 2 bags, overweight, and one attendant said going they were oversized (not the way we measured them and have used them for years with no problem) we decided to totally rethink things this yr. We always carried the dress-up tux, etc dresses and sport coat etc. for other nights. Of course that meant more shoes, jewerly etc for me and shoes etc. for better half! We just though like one poster said that for a change it might be nice to not rush in to get dress, not be comfortable,etc. It has nothing to do with tipping. We used to travel with the 2 kids every year on a cruise from the time my youngest was 2 and shes 18 now, and we always tipped just the same in the DR, cabins, etc. for them as adults. Sorry to be so long, but also 2 of the years we did Southern CArr. and have ports every day. We are also doing that same one this yr. and found there was never any time to sit out and enjoy the deck because we stayed until the last few were back onboard and then had to rush in shower, dress, and rush to eat! So glad to hear about the new relaxed rules though for dress in the main DR. Thanks again for all of your input-everyone HAPPY CRUISING!!!

You'll hear love it or hate reviews about the Lido, personally me and DH much prefer it as we like to really lay back and chill when we cruise. Usually we will dine in the main DR at least once, and most always when cruising with family and friends. I have found that much of the same foods are on the buffet that is... with the exception of lobster tails and crab legs and perhaps a few other choices of course but I always find myself quite satisfied on the lido. For a change of pace...give it a try. Whatever you do, ENJOY!

Just got off the Splendor ... and you don't have to worry about dressing up in the DR. On the 2 elegant nights, you are ot allowed to wear shorts, tank tops or sandals... no one was very dressed up.. ladies wore casual summer dresses or casual pants and tops and men wore shirts and pants. I did not see any tuxs or elegant dresses... and very few ties. All other nights are casual so anything goes :) remember..it is very hot and humid in Mexico.

The food in Lido Buffet is pretty good(we had one dinner there) so if you like to have dinner in the DR I would not worry too much about what you are wearing but if you prefer to eat in the Lido.. I think you'll be happy with the selection :)

Archived