Pls. Bring back the Steel Drum Bands!

I Love NC

I recall my very first cruise on the original Sun Princess. EVERYTHING was so different than it is today.

There was a sailaway party on deck at 11:00 pm as we departed San Juan with streamers and music. It was quite a party. Then as we disembarked at some of the ports there were steal bands playing and people dancing. It was quite an inviting reception. I thought it was arranged by the islands we were visiting but now come to realize it must have been something P&O arranged. Either way, it was really nice.

At some ports, when the band was finished on the dock they would then take a break and come up to the pool deck and play there until about 1 hour before departure.

Oh yes!! they had extravegant midnight buffets as well. Really a sight to see. Could never go to bed before 1am in case we missed something.

Ah!!!! The good old days. I guess I'm showing my age.:o

I'm a little confused. Did something change since last November? We had a steel drum band onboard on the CB. They alternated at the pool with another band, and also played in the main atrium outside the international cafe. I look forward to steel drums on every caribbean cruise.

When we were on the Golden in 2008 doing the Mexico run, there was a 3 piece mariachi (sp?) band that played in the atrium a LOT. Maybe even a smidge too much. But they didn't play by the pool, IIRC.

I remember that! We bought their CD! Also in '08.

I'm a little confused. Did something change since last November? We had a steel drum band onboard on the CB. They alternated at the pool with another band, and also played in the main atrium outside the international cafe. I look forward to steel drums on every caribbean cruise.

Are you sure it was a steel drum band? Nowadays, they sound like it, but it is electronic.

Are you sure it was a steel drum band? Nowadays, they sound like it, but it is electronic.

Very true. I have a Yamaha Disklavier piano, and it does steel drums just fine. But it's a far cry from the atmosphere produced by the real thing. Hoping that we hear some in December, on the piers, playing Christmas carols. Nothing makes me feel spoiled like Christmas season in the Caribbean!

I'm positive - they had drums, I loved watching them play. CB had a regular band by the pool, rotating with the steel drum band last Nov.

We were on the CB last month. No steel drums, and the "party band" Exotique only played by the pool a few times. Mostly, the music we heard by the non-MUTS main pool was recorded.

If Princess doesn't have bands by the pool, what kind of entertainment do they provide? All cruises I've been on have had bands by the pool (RCCL, NCL & Carnival) So sad to hear Princess does not. Bummer! Won't let it ruin my upcoming cruise though!

Sometimes during the afternoon the band that plays in one of the lounges plays by the pool...which is nice. The band always plays during sailaway. But most times you will hear the noise from MUTS. IMHO---I wish they would only have MUTS going during the evenings with movies. I love to relax with music by the pool.

Yessssssss Princess, pleassssssssssse bring back the steel bands!!!!

I recall my very first cruise on the original Sun Princess. EVERYTHING was so different than it is today.

There was a sailaway party on deck at 11:00 pm as we departed San Juan with streamers and music. It was quite a party. Then as we disembarked at some of the ports there were steal bands playing and people dancing. It was quite an inviting reception. I thought it was arranged by the islands we were visiting but now come to realize it must have been something P&O arranged. Either way, it was really nice.

At some ports, when the band was finished on the dock they would then take a break and come up to the pool deck and play there until about 1 hour before departure.

Oh yes!! they had extravegant midnight buffets as well. Really a sight to see. Could never go to bed before 1am in case we missed something.

Ah!!!! The good old days. I guess I'm showing my age.:o

ITA with your post....on our 1st cruise we had all the above you mentioned. My favorite memory of Barbados on that cruise was hearing/seeing the steel band playing right there at the cruise port...near our ship while we got off. A wonderful welcome to their island!

Archived