Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You

philsfun

Just returned from a 14 day Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess. The food was horrible in the MDR and the Buffet. Tasteless and bland and a cheaper menu since Carnival bought the cuise line. I won't book another Princess cruise.

Yippee, another one down! By the way, we have had some fantastic cruises on Princess, and very recently to boot! Please don't let the door hit you on the way out! Maybe Crystal, Seabourn or Regent may be more to your liking... Along with much higher fares! Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from Caribbean Princess 14-day. My observations:

Elevator chimes - 2 chimes (descending major third interval, if you understand music) - means the elevator will be going down.

One chime - the elevator will be going up.

Armrests between seats at the Princess Theatre contain a hide-away small table to hold your drinks place writing pads.

Watch for incorrect prices on your account. For example "Martini of the Day" advertised at $7.50 in the Patter was charged at the $7.95 regular price for all martinis.

Most annoyed by - display of full passengers names at the door to each cabin, along with their Captain's Circle status (i.e. gold, platinum, elite).

I think this is a major flaw in their privacy policy.

Just back from Caribbean Princess 14-day. My observations:

Elevator chimes - 2 chimes (descending major third interval, if you understand music) - means the elevator will be going down.

One chime - the elevator will be going up.

Armrests between seats at the Princess Theatre contain a hide-away small table to hold your drinks place writing pads.

Watch for incorrect prices on your account. For example "Martini of the Day" advertised at $7.50 in the Patter was charged at the $7.95 regular price for all martinis.

Most annoyed by - display of full passengers names at the door to each cabin, along with their Captain's Circle status (i.e. gold, platinum, elite).

I think this is a major flaw in their privacy policy.

You can remove the card with name.

Yeah finally finished and thanks to all of you for some great 'tips' and secrets that I am sure will assist on this summers cruise.

Just one question suggestion that you take quarters for the laundry machines, we live in and are sailing from the UK so not that easy!! If you ask at the pursers desk for quarters do they expect a dollar note or will they bill your cruise account - a dollar note would also be difficult?

Thanks, Gillian.

One of the bigger tips we learned from the Cruise Critic boards was to use a light weight grocery bag on wheels to carry on extra items. We packed the bag from home and took it out at the hotel where we stayed the night before sailing. We then purchased water and diet pop from the store next door to the hotel, and used the bag to drag it onto the ship. The best part was that we now had the bag on wheels to use to haul our extra items off the ship the next morning (when leaving) after our luggage had been taken away during the night - so all our night clothes and other 'need to use in the morning' items. Once we had our luggage, we repacked everything away incluidng the bag on wheels and we were off to the airport. Very handy.

This next cruise, we have our laundry 'sheets'. Last time we brought powder in ziploc bags which was handy, but we no longer use powder laundry at home. lol

Yeah finally finished and thanks to all of you for some great 'tips' and secrets that I am sure will assist on this summers cruise.

Just one question suggestion that you take quarters for the laundry machines, we live in and are sailing from the UK so not that easy!! If you ask at the pursers desk for quarters do they expect a dollar note or will they bill your cruise account - a dollar note would also be difficult?

Thanks, Gillian.

There are machines in the laundry room that give quarter for dollars

There are machines in the laundry room that give quarter for dollars

The change machine was broken in the laundry room we used (Caribbean Princess, Caribe deck). Guest services changed bill for coins. For guests coming from abroad it's a good idea to change a $20 bill for singles for tips and toilet "fee" on some islands.

You can remove the card with name.

That's what I did. It appeared again for the next 7 day sailing (despite the fact we were on 14 day cruise), so I removed it again. How many apartment buildings do you know that list full names of the residents in each unit and their "net worth" in the front lobby ?

One of the bigger tips we learned from the Cruise Critic boards was to use a light weight grocery bag on wheels to carry on extra items.

We have two carry ones that look like large briefcases. We pack these with the things we will need at the hotel, we empty them once we are there, and walk over (when in Fort Lauderdale) to "Total Wine" They are getting used to seeing us roll in with these:)

you can get a lot of bottles in them, all standing upright and not clinking around. Then we just roll back to the hotel.

Yes, this is the same as the grocery bag idea. The things that we wear at the hotel are put into the suitcase. We are taking another outfit out of them to wear on boarding day, so it is a wash. so to speak. :D

This thread has been around so long that I have to revise a revision I made last year. Mixed berries ARE back on the Emerald this winter afte a year with just strawberries.

That is WONDERFUL to hear !!!!

Allan is now a vegan and berries are a large part of his meals - breakfast, lunch and dinner!

I've been on two Princess cruises and here's what I've learned:

1. On one of my cruises (Sapphire Princess) you could easily walk right into the thermal spa without a pass. No one was there to check for the sticker on your cruise card! However, on my other cruise (Ruby Princess) they were very strict about it- they actually held your cruise card while you were in the thermal suite. The difference could have been that the weather was terrible on the first cruise and they didn't want to make the passengers any more upset. Whatever the reason, it's worth a shot trying to sneak in for free before you pay for it!

2. On one of my cruises I spent nearly every night in Skywalker's night club with other young people I met on the cruise (we were all 21-26 yrs old). The entertainment staff tried so hard to get people to party that they would buy us free alcoholic drinks just because we were having a good time! When our drink got low they would ask us if we wanted another. If you befriend the entertainment staff, you can get some great perks!

3. Anyone who's ever cruised with Princess before probably knows this, but DON'T BOOK SPA TREATMENTS AHEAD OF TIME! They give out TONS of coupons and gift certificates for 25, 50 and 100 dollars off spa treatments on the first day. All you have to do is put your name in the raffle and show up when they pull your name out. I won gift certificates on both my cruises this way just because so few people actually show up for the raffle!

4. To get a free shoulder massage (and sometimes they use hot rocks and bamboo and other things like that) tour the spa right when you board the ship. They will also give out free teeth whitening samples too.

5. The adults only pool area near the Lotus Spa was always the easiest place to find an open hot tub.

This thread has been around so long that I have to revise a revision I made last year. Mixed berries ARE back on the Emerald this winter afte a year with just strawberries.

Great news! Love the berries!

Good to hear.. I always try to geta intro neck massage on the first day...I have never been lucky enough to win at the free drawing but will keep trying...I saw berries on royal Carribean too...... I love berries .....I had some of the best guacamole ever on a princess cruise .....do they still have this.....?.

We have two carry ones that look like large briefcases. We pack these with the things we will need at the hotel, we empty them once we are there, and walk over (when in Fort Lauderdale) to "Total Wine" They are getting used to seeing us roll in with these:)

you can get a lot of bottles in them, all standing upright and not clinking around. Then we just roll back to the hotel.

Yes, this is the same as the grocery bag idea. The things that we wear at the hotel are put into the suitcase. We are taking another outfit out of them to wear on boarding day, so it is a wash. so to speak. :D

We usually put socks around the bottles to keep them from clinking

Since unpacking suitcases onboard that held wet clothes (UGH bags sat out in the rain!) we use super large Ziploc bags(with handles). We pack our clothes in them, with tissue paper between the items. We then force out as much air as possible, seal, and place in a suitcase. The tissue helps to stop wrinkles and after unpacking, the bags double as laundry bags. I also put 1/2 of my clothes in one suitcase, and 1/2 in my husbands. He does the same--in case one suitcase gets lost, we still have something to wear.

I've been on two Princess cruises and here's what I've learned:

1. On one of my cruises (Sapphire Princess) you could easily walk right into the thermal spa without a pass. No one was there to check for the sticker on your cruise card! However, on my other cruise (Ruby Princess) they were very strict about it- they actually held your cruise card while you were in the thermal suite. The difference could have been that the weather was terrible on the first cruise and they didn't want to make the passengers any more upset. Whatever the reason, it's worth a shot trying to sneak in for free before you pay for it!

GREAT -and those paying passengers aren't able to get in because it is full of people who haven't paid!!!

I was on a cruise once when all the tables were full everytime I went down - it was you Thanks

They have no right to be upset when they never paid for the service.

I had some of the best guacamole ever on a princess cruise .....do they still have this.....?.
They still have the very good guacamole. Often in the HC in the afternoon. Usually once a week it will be the featured appetizer in the Platinum/Elite/Suite lounge and recently they have made it to order for you which makes it even better. The chips are quite good also. Now why do I gain weight on a Princess cruise??

GREAT -and those paying passengers aren't able to get in because it is full of people who haven't paid!!!

I was on a cruise once when all the tables were full everytime I went down - it was you Thanks

They have no right to be upset when they never paid for the service.

Sorry if it was crowded for you. It wasn't crowded when I was there or I would have left.

Archived