Europe, Need Help and Advise from the Pros

CALMOM

There seem to be certain ports where ships will stay overnight, such as Venice and Istanbul. I'm not aware of ships staying overnight for Rome (Civitavecchia) or Florence (Livorno). Don't get me wrong. A lot of these ports are very "doable" in a day (for a first time introductory visit). For example, I thought a day was plenty for Dubrovnik, Santorini and Athens. I think it's mainly Rome and Florence where the distance from the port becomes problematic.

Why don't they just dock the ship closer to downtown Rome and Florence :D

Your right, this will be an introductory cruise for us.

My husband and I have enjoyed reading all of your posts and are absorbing all of your hints and tips, especially about the med. we are leaving in october for transatlantic starting in venice. I ditto the advice on purchasing round trip tickets. We took the transatlantic in may starting in Ft. Lauderdale. We found the one way tickets to be prohibitive and so we bought a round trip, booking the return as far out as possible. We were told that there would be a $150. rebooking fee. When we decided to take this cruise, we rescheduled using credit from that return ticket. In addition to the 150. we only had to pay an additional 19.00 to go to venice. So $169. each dulles to venice. The bottom line is we paid so much less for the roundtrip than we would have for the one way, and if we had not used it we would have been ahead. We love SAS airlines and almost always fly to europe via copenhagen. we then make connections out of there. The prices are so much more competitive and the service superb. Right now they are having a huge sale with some tickets at $299.. to copenhagen. Perhaps someone can use that tip. Sale ends the end of the month. Honestly, I don't work for the airline, just really like it and their competitive pricing.

We love to explore the ports on our own when able and we will walk until we drop. That is why I refer to myself as streetwalker. I have read that in Venice, the number one thing one should do is get lost, or just wander the streets and explore all the city has to offer. That is what we plan to do as well as going to Murano and Burano. Still undecided about the gondolas as we get so many different opinions. But will do the slow ride down the grand canal on the #1. Love food and so will be looking for a great hole in the wall locals type restaurant. We are spending a night prior to boarding the ship and then we actually have two full days.

Can't wait til october!!

My husband and I have enjoyed reading all of your posts and are absorbing all of your hints and tips, especially about the med. we are leaving in october for transatlantic starting in venice. I ditto the advice on purchasing round trip tickets. We took the transatlantic in may starting in Ft. Lauderdale. We found the one way tickets to be prohibitive and so we bought a round trip, booking the return as far out as possible. We were told that there would be a $150. rebooking fee. When we decided to take this cruise, we rescheduled using credit from that return ticket. In addition to the 150. we only had to pay an additional 19.00 to go to venice. So $169. each dulles to venice. The bottom line is we paid so much less for the roundtrip than we would have for the one way, and if we had not used it we would have been ahead. We love SAS airlines and almost always fly to europe via copenhagen. we then make connections out of there. The prices are so much more competitive and the service superb. Right now they are having a huge sale with some tickets at $299.. to copenhagen. Perhaps someone can use that tip. Sale ends the end of the month. Honestly, I don't work for the airline, just really like it and their competitive pricing.

We love to explore the ports on our own when able and we will walk until we drop. That is why I refer to myself as streetwalker. I have read that in Venice, the number one thing one should do is get lost, or just wander the streets and explore all the city has to offer. That is what we plan to do as well as going to Murano and Burano. Still undecided about the gondolas as we get so many different opinions. But will do the slow ride down the grand canal on the #1. Love food and so will be looking for a great hole in the wall locals type restaurant. We are spending a night prior to boarding the ship and then we actually have two full days.

Can't wait til october!!

See you in Venice. We will also be doing the TA in October. Like you we to do talke tours. Since we have been to these ports many times we also do our own thing. We use the local train to get to Rome it is a lot faster and far cheaper.Pam

I'm very excited about my Greek Isles cruise in 2011. Yes, going in August is going to be hot but it was the only time the itinerary was offered that worked for both me and my Mom :( I wasn't picky about whether I was on the Star or the Ruby, and the Star was the ship doing this itinerary when I wanted it so that's what we'll be on. She's a bit smaller than the Ruby too, which means smaller crowds.

My itinerary is Venice to Rome, stopping in Dubrovnik, Corfu, Katakalon, Athens, Mykonos, Kusadasi, Rhodes, Santorini and Naples. We'll stay in Venice two days at the beginning, and Rome two days at the end.

I have been a rather loyal Royal Caribbean cruiser but RCI just didn't have an itinerary comparable to this one. I've been to Florence before so I didn't want to stop there on the cruise and I'm also not a huge fan of Spain so Barcelona doesn't appeal to me either.

I think I found the perfect cruise and can't wait :D

I just wish someone else would join my roll call - right now it appears that I will have the entire ship to myself :(

:DMy Wife & I did the Greek Isles Cruise on the Star Princess a few years ago the first part of Nov. from Venice to Rome on a 12 day jaunt that included stops at Dubrovnik,Croatia, Corfu,Greece, Katakolon,Greece, Athens,Greece, Mykonos,Greece kusadasi,Turkey, Rhodes,Greece, Santorini,Greece, Naples,Italy, Civitavecchia, Italy, Port for Rome. It was a very good Cruise. We got to Venice a couple days before the Cruise was to leave & stayed in a Hotel (the Donna Palace Hotel) about a block & a half from St. Mark's Square it was just up the Canal that the Bridge of Sighs is on. We did our own Airfare & transfers & did not have any problems at all. We stopped in Frankfurt for about 6 hours & visited a Daughter that lives there & took a Nap & then landed at the Venice Airport & took the Water Bus to St. Mark's Square stop & walk just a little ways to the Hotel. We took a Water Bus to the Port for the Ship & had no problems with our luggage & stayed on board the first night & the Sail away was just great. All the stops were great & we went from the last one in Civitavecchia to Rome on a train & spent 4 nights there with our Daughter & her Family(SIL& GD) Had a great time. Which ever one you choose I think that late April to early May or late Oct. to early Nov. is a great time to go. Good Cruising.

:DMy Wife & I did the Greek Isles Cruise on the Star Princess a few years ago the first part of Nov. from Venice to Rome on a 12 day jaunt that included stops at Dubrovnik,Croatia, Corfu,Greece, Katakolon,Greece, Athens,Greece, Mykonos,Greece kusadasi,Turkey, Rhodes,Greece, Santorini,Greece, Naples,Italy, Civitavecchia, Italy, Port for Rome. It was a very good Cruise. We got to Venice a couple days before the Cruise was to leave & stayed in a Hotel (the Donna Palace Hotel) about a block & a half from St. Mark's Square it was just up the Canal that the Bridge of Sighs is on. We did our own Airfare & transfers & did not have any problems at all. We stopped in Frankfurt for about 6 hours & visited a Daughter that lives there & took a Nap & then landed at the Venice Airport & took the Water Bus to St. Mark's Square stop & walk just a little ways to the Hotel. We took a Water Bus to the Port for the Ship & had no problems with our luggage & stayed on board the first night & the Sail away was just great. All the stops were great & we went from the last one in Civitavecchia to Rome on a train & spent 4 nights there with our Daughter & her Family(SIL& GD) Had a great time. Which ever one you choose I think that late April to early May or late Oct. to early Nov. is a great time to go. Good Cruising.

Boy, you sure had a lot of ports. I think that would be too much for me, especially my first time. It was nice that you had family to visit, they probably knew some great spots, to take you to. I have decided on April, May, Oct or November depending on which itinerary I prefer. I don't care for the heat or large crowds, so I would avoid June, July or August, for sure. Thank you for sharing your experience.

I'm sure you are getting a lot of good information to consider - having read a number of the responses here.

We have taken 6+ Mediterranean cruises over the years, leaving from Venice, Athens, Rome and Barcelona. We have visited ports from Istanbul, to Venice and Gilbrater in the Mediterranean. I have never seen a port I did not enjoy. The Mediterranean is fabulous.

That being said, I generally suggest first timers consider what their air options are when choosing a cruise. For example, we prefer to cruise out of Athens or Barcelona simply because these two ports are the easiest for us to book direct air to and from either on Air France thru Paris, or American Airlines. We always explore the air before putting down a deposit. These ports are not as costly getting between the airport and the ship compared to Rome for example - we use taxis.

Hotels in Europe are not cheap. We usually plan on $300 a night minimum. Sometimes we find a better deal by staying a a hotel at the airport. But even airport hotels can run as much as $300, i.e., Hilton at the Airport in Rome. We use hotel points when we can to help.

Most ports you can do your own thing, which is cheaper than booking tours off the ship.

We have learned to pace ourselves because these cruises are port intensive. On our first cruises we sometimes got off the ship with plans to spend 2 days in Barcelona or some other city and found we were so exhausted we slept for two days in some luxury hotel on the Mediterranean @$300 a night. So take your time in some ports, think it is so lovely you will return again, you can't see everyone in one day.

We always plan to fly in 1-2 days in advance to help with jetlag from the west coast. That way you don't get on the ship feeling like a zoombie. This also allows any lost luggage to catch up with you.

The cheapest cruises are the Transatlantics by the way. It is possible to see a good deal of the Mediterranean and take a TA cruise. We took the Rudy Princess from Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona with stops in Portugal, Gilbrater, Spain, France and Italy. The cruise went all the way to Rome and then came back to Monte Carlo, and Barcelona. This requires an open jaw air ticket which is best to book using air miles vs $s.

Another option is to start in Rome or Venice and come back to the US.

I know you will have a fabulous time no matter what you decide. Enjoy.

Is there cruises that stay in the ports more than one day? I am concerned about the time restriction and being able to enjoy the port, since the ship is so far away. I guess I am use to the ships docking right in the cities, from my other cruises. It sounds like the Med Cruises are completely different.

There seem to be certain ports where ships will stay overnight, such as Venice and Istanbul. I'm not aware of ships staying overnight for Rome (Civitavecchia) or Florence (Livorno). Don't get me wrong. A lot of these ports are very "doable" in a day (for a first time introductory visit). For example, I thought a day was plenty for Dubrovnik, Santorini and Athens. I think it's mainly Rome and Florence where the distance from the port becomes problematic.

I know that some Royal Caribbean ships have an overnight in Florence and a few others offer a very late departure ( 11:00 pm or midnight). That helps; Florence is also more compact than Rome, so if you have a reasonable amount of time, Florence can be done -- just don't try to also cram in Pisa, and a drive through Tuscany, and a wine-tasting.....;)

As for Rome, there is no way to do it justice in a day. Rome is one port that I would have to say is a MUST-SEE port for a first time Med cruiser, and really should be done at the beginning or end of a cruise to allow a minimum of 3 days there.

:DMy Wife & I did the Greek Isles Cruise on the Star Princess a few years ago the first part of Nov. from Venice to Rome on a 12 day jaunt that included stops at Dubrovnik,Croatia, Corfu,Greece, Katakolon,Greece, Athens,Greece, Mykonos,Greece kusadasi,Turkey, Rhodes,Greece, Santorini,Greece, Naples,Italy, Civitavecchia, Italy, Port for Rome. It was a very good Cruise.

Boy, you sure had a lot of ports. I think that would be too much for me, especially my first time.

It sounds like a lot of ports, but several of them are Greek isles which can be "chill out" days. Instead of lots of "must-see" sights, you can just stroll around the port on your own and take it easy if you wish. Corfu, Mykonos, and Rhodes are all good for this, and Santorini just slightly less chill if you want to get to the scenic town of Oia.

However this itinerary would be second to the Grand Med itinerary, in my opinion, in terms of being a good sampler of the Med ports.

Since we are on the topic of European cruises I want to share our recent experience which proved to us that even us ole folks can learn new tricks. We do a lot of Transatlantic cruises (average about twice a year) and also spend a lot of time in Europe on both ships and just driving. For the past few years the biggest hassle on all of our trips was in dealing with air arrangments, airport, airlines, etc etc. To be honest, we have grown to hate flying (and I have a pilots license) because of the lack of comfort, lousy service, luggage issues, rules, etc. So this past spring we managed to do a 42 day Prinsendam cruise from NYC that eventually ended in Tilbury England. From there, we shared a van with two other couples and drove 2 1/2 hours to Southampton and boarded the Queen Mary II for the trip back to NYC. What heaven! An eight week cruise to warm weather, arctic circle, two transatlantics, and not a single flight! For folks with the time this is the way to travel! We have already booked a similar type trip for next spring. And here is another tip. The cheapest inside cabin on the Queen Mary II is a lot more comfortable then the best seat on any airline!

Hank

I'm sure you are getting a lot of good information to consider - having read a number of the responses here.

The cheapest cruises are the Transatlantics by the way. It is possible to see a good deal of the Mediterranean and take a TA cruise. We took the Rudy Princess from Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona with stops in Portugal, Gilbrater, Spain, France and Italy. The cruise went all the way to Rome and then came back to Monte Carlo, and Barcelona. This requires an open jaw air ticket which is best to book using air miles vs $s.

Another option is to start in Rome or Venice and come back to the US.

I know you will have a fabulous time no matter what you decide. Enjoy.

I am a little confused on the Open Jaw Air Tickets, please explain. I do not like to fly, so I only fly when necessary for my cruises, and then find the least about of air time. I have always wanted to go to Australia but I could never handle the 16 hr flight. Since I don't fly much, I don't really build up points, to use.

I have several CC members tell me to consider the Transatlantic cruise for my first time to the Mediterranean, to avoid total exhaustion. I kind of feel that it is a waste of time and money to go all the way and only spend 6 or 7 days in the Mediterranean, on a 18 day cruise and the rest of the days At Sea.

My plan is to go April, May or October of 2012 and my understanding is that the schedule for that period will come out around March or April 2012. You suggested that I choose my flight choice to begin with, but if I book my cruise more then a year in advance, how would I know what flights are available? I thought flights are only available about 6 months in advance, or I'm I wrong?

Hum, this is just getting more difficult and over whelming. I thought I would start with my itinerary, month, cruise line, flight, hotel, and then excursions. Maybe that's not the correct order.

Sorry, I have so many questions and I really appreciate your help and everyone else's.

Since we are on the topic of European cruises I want to share our recent experience which proved to us that even us ole folks can learn new tricks. We do a lot of Transatlantic cruises (average about twice a year) and also spend a lot of time in Europe on both ships and just driving. For the past few years the biggest hassle on all of our trips was in dealing with air arrangments, airport, airlines, etc etc. To be honest, we have grown to hate flying (and I have a pilots license) because of the lack of comfort, lousy service, luggage issues, rules, etc. So this past spring we managed to do a 42 day Prinsendam cruise from NYC that eventually ended in Tilbury England. From there, we shared a van with two other couples and drove 2 1/2 hours to Southampton and boarded the Queen Mary II for the trip back to NYC. What heaven! An eight week cruise to warm weather, arctic circle, two transatlantics, and not a single flight! For folks with the time this is the way to travel! We have already booked a similar type trip for next spring. And here is another tip. The cheapest inside cabin on the Queen Mary II is a lot more comfortable then the best seat on any airline!

Hank

Perhaps my husband will win the lotto soon--so we can join you!

I am a little confused on the Open Jaw Air Tickets, please explain. I do not like to fly, so I only fly when necessary for my cruises, and then find the least about of air time. I have always wanted to go to Australia but I could never handle the 16 hr flight. Since I don't fly much, I don't really build up points, to use.

I have several CC members tell me to consider the Transatlantic cruise for my first time to the Mediterranean, to avoid total exhaustion. I kind of feel that it is a waste of time and money to go all the way and only spend 6 or 7 days in the Mediterranean, on a 18 day cruise and the rest of the days At Sea.

My plan is to go April, May or October of 2012 and my understanding is that the schedule for that period will come out around March or April 2012. You suggested that I choose my flight choice to begin with, but if I book my cruise more then a year in advance, how would I know what flights are available? I thought flights are only available about 6 months in advance, or I'm I wrong?

Hum, this is just getting more difficult and over whelming. I thought I would start with my itinerary, month, cruise line, flight, hotel, and then excursions. Maybe that's not the correct order.

Sorry, I have so many questions and I really appreciate your help and everyone else's.

If it were a goal to build up points, you can usually find a credit card associated with your airline of choice that gives you points for purchases. I mostly fly with Delta due to my location, so I use my Delta Amex as much as possible. You get a bonus of around 25,000 points just for opening the card and there's no charge the first year. Just use it for things you'd normally buy anyway (gas, groceries, pharmacy) and pay it off each month. With the amount of time you have, you could probably accumulate enough points for at least one ticket.

As to Transatlantics -- they're not for everyone. I cruise mostly for the ports; I would not want to spend 6 or so days on board ship just crossing the ocean. But some people love them -- you just have to figure out what suits you best.

Flights, for the most part, are available only about 11 months in advance.

If it were a goal to build up points, you can usually find a credit card associated with your airline of choice that gives you points for purchases. I mostly fly with Delta due to my location, so I use my Delta Amex as much as possible. You get a bonus of around 25,000 points just for opening the card and there's no charge the first year.

I just took advantage of an offer for 50,000 miles when I applied for an American Airlines card. I have to spend $750 over 3 months I think but these were easy miles.

Archived