Europe, Need Help and Advise from the Pros

CALMOM

I know I should probably post on Europe Boards but they are broken down by areas and I'm not sure where to go, so I was hoping I could get some advise here.

The only thing I know for sure, is I would like to cruise with Princess and I want to go to Europe. I can cruise anytime of the year, so looking for the cheapest season in 2012. I would like to sail between 7 and 12 days, not really sure. I would like to see Venice or Barcelona and or Rome. I would like to go to at least a couple of the Greek Isles but not interested in going to Egypt or Israel. I live in California and not sure what would be the cheapest way to fly and which port to fly to. Would it be cheaper to do a round trip cruise, fare wise and air fare?

I just need a lot of advise, so please advise all you can, I REALLY appreciate it.

Princess does not have their 2012 Europe itineraries out yet, but based on what they are doing for 2011:

Cheapest prices will be in the fall shoulder season (Sept) or spring (May).

Flights are not that much different RT or open jaw, but again will be cheaper in the shoulder season.

The Ruby and Star are both doing 12 day Venice to Barcelona trips with Greek Isles and Rome included. It's the Grand Mediterranean itinerary on the Princess site.

Please do the Venice to Barcelona cruise, its absolutely wonderful. You go to some fantastic places and, in my opinion, nowhere even comes close to the sail away from Venice. May and September would be perfect, slightly less crowded than July/August.

Can't advise on flights, etc. We Brits tend to book the whole package, i.e. flights, transfers, cruise, etc.

We did a 12 night Rome to Venice itinerary in Sept on the Emerald Princess. Ports included Monte Carlo, Athens, Santorini, Corfu, Mykonos, Livorno, Naples and Kusadasi. I've cruised a lot, but few experiences beat the amazing sight of Monaco bathed in golden sunlight, just on sunrise, or sailing down the Grand Canal in Venice.

September is a fabulous time to be in the Med, the weather is usually reliably warm and sunny, but not too hot, and the peak season as passed. Our cruise price was significantly cheaper in Sept compared to July and August.

Cruising in the Med is amazing, but very port intensive, so be well rested before you start!

We took an eastern Med cruise last year. We left Venice and it was amazing to say the least. Coming back into Venice, I woke very early to see the return into port, but we were already pulling up to the dock. So my suggestion is....start in Venice, don't finish in Venice.

My advice also is to start in Venice, and plan to spend at least 2 nights pre cruise which will give you 1 full day plus parts of another 2 days to explore that wonderful city. It is breathtaking, probably my favorite place and I've traveled a lot. Look at the itineraries which also include Rome, and then pick one which suits you schedule-wise -- you really can't go wrong in that part of the world. We chose a hotel, the Locanda Orseolo, which would guarantee us a canal-front room--- it was pricey but worth every cent! Our trip was in early May of this year, and it was a perfect time to sightsee, not too hot (like it gets in the summer) and not as crowded with tourists, plus we had the lovely ambiance of spring in Europe. As far as flights, we started early checking prices on kayak.com and individual airline sites, got a feel for what would be a good price and grabbed it. If your cruise ends in Barcelona, so much the better, that is also a lovely city and worth an extra night or two--- but for me, a start in Venice would be a must.

2916617100056765150S500x500Q85.jpg

This is a photo of our sailaway from Venice, taken from our balcony. That is the famous St Mark's Square

You've gotten some good advice here: I would agree that the Grand Mediterranean is an excellent itinerary, especially for a first-timer. It's very port-intensive but worth the exhaustion! And if I weren't tied to the academic calendar (and didn't actually prefer the extreme heat of summer), I think September would be perfect as it would be much less crowded in some of the cities.

You mentioned debating between 7 to 12 days. Especially given that you're coming all the way from California, I think a seven-day cruise is too short. I live on the East Coast and have been known to go to London for a long weekend, but for a cruise, even I would hesitate to fly over just for a week-long voyage. Also, distance-wise, you won't get in all the ports you mentioned in less than 12 days!

As for airfare, generally prices for a roundtrip ticket flying into one European city and out of another are pretty much on-par with a roundtrip ticket into and out of the same city. It's called an open-jaw and as long as the non-flown portion is shorter than either of the two flown portions (which would so obviously be the case here!), it's allowable and easily booked.

Have fun poring over your options!

We are doing the 18 night transatlantic on the Ruby next Oct that leaves from Venice and stops in Barcelona, Rome (nearby anyway), and 5 other ports. For a BB cabin it is $94/day/pp booked through my TA. I thought that was a great price! :D

No Greek Isles though....but it's a great itinerary nonetheless. 6 sea days at the end to rest from all the ports! :)

Ditto to the suggestions above about the Grand Mediterranean itinerary-it is excellent. Suggest strongly that you or your TA do the air, this way you control your own flights and make your connection in the easiest place (stay away from Paris-Charles de Gaulle for connections). But you must arrive at least a day or better yet two or three before your cruise to unwind, get over the time change and see the city in a relaxed mode before boarding the ship.

Thank you, Thank you, all, I so much, I appreciate all your advise. I just love CC, it has always made my cruises perfect.

It sounds like there is more to this cruise, then I assumed. It sounds like the Grand Mediterranean might be the best cruise for us, especially since it is our first time to Europe. I am not worried about it being too port intense, as I have been to Alaska twice, and it is, as well. I do agree to arrive at least 2 days prior and depending on where the ship disembark, maybe stay a day or two there as well.

So from what I have read, it sounds like I should stay away from the cruise tours and book air and hotels on my own. I thought this would be an easy cruise to plan :eek:. I guess I have a lot of homework to do :D I do have a great TA but she is on vacation so I was trying to research before she returned.

Thank you again, and if you have anything else to add, please do :)

Once you pick your cruise, go to the roll call, sign in and check in often. You'll will find a lot of tips about what others are doing, and often roll call members band together to arrange private tours at a lower price than what the cruise line offers. We did this for our Med cruise in May, and had wonderful tours to Ephesus and Athens in a 10 person van. You will also find lots of info on the Ports of Call boards. We love the planning part, it seems overwhelming at first but it all comes together the more you read.

I agree the Grand Med itinerary is outstanding. If you can look at October or April instead of September or May, you'll find that not only are cruise prices cheaper, but airfare is cheaper as well.

Book your own air, hotels, and do private tours. This will not only save money, but will actually give you a better experience. You can choose the best flights for you, read hotel reviews and pick ones that are located where YOU want to be, and private tours allow you the most flexibility (and you don't have to wait for 39 other people to go to the bathroom......:rolleyes:)

Be prepared for sticker shock -- hotels in major European cities are expensive.

Airfare from two different cities isn't necessarily much more than a roundtrip ticket, so don't worry overmuch about a roundtrip cruise. Starting and ending in two different cities is great because you have more time there to see things.

DITTO to the above comments. We did the Grand Med in May and I would suggest thinking about flying to Rome for a couple of days before taking the train to Venice as our friends did - there is so much to see there! Also, start walking and stairstepping as the cruise is physically challenging. We joined private tours with CC members and all were excellent. It is a wonderful way to see alot of Europe in a short amount of time - all good!!! Karen

I know I should probably post on Europe Boards but they are broken down by areas and I'm not sure where to go, so I was hoping I could get some advise here.

The only thing I know for sure, is I would like to cruise with Princess and I want to go to Europe. I can cruise anytime of the year, so looking for the cheapest season in 2012. I would like to sail between 7 and 12 days, not really sure. I would like to see Venice or Barcelona and or Rome. I would like to go to at least a couple of the Greek Isles but not interested in going to Egypt or Israel. I live in California and not sure what would be the cheapest way to fly and which port to fly to. Would it be cheaper to do a round trip cruise, fare wise and air fare?

I just need a lot of advise, so please advise all you can, I REALLY appreciate it.

For those of us in SoCal, yes, it is cheapest to fly round-trip vs. multi-city. Flying into FCO (Rome) is a little more than BCN usually from SoCal. We're doing a 7 night with a pre-cruise and it works out perfectly for us - it's a balance of land and cruise.

Venice is a beautiful city and worth an extra day or two. Hotels are expensive to very expensive!

Note that the ports for Rome and Florence are at least an hour, if not more, from those cities.

Sounds like a wonderful vacation!

WOW, thank you all again, you are already lowering my stress level;).

So if the ports are an hour away from the town, how far are the airports from the ports?

Would I want to stay closer to the airport or closer to the port, wherever I am boarding the ship? I have heard how expensive the hotels are in Europe, what is considered expensive? How would I go about getting the best price?

I noticed on the GM 12 day cruise, that the ship arrives in Venice at 1:00 p.m. on day 12 and also shows arriving at 5:00 a.m. on Day 13. Does this mean that we arrive in the area on day 12 but don't dock at the port until 5:00 a.m. on day 13? I'm a little confused.

Since this is a 12 day cruise, I would only be allowed to stay either 2 full days before in Barcelona or 2 full days after in Venice. Which would you recommend?

Thank you all again, I would be so lost without all of you. I know my TA has experience with European cruises but I prefer hearing from many opinions, especially CC members, they are very reliable and honest. CC members have no financial interest and at some point have benefited from other CC members, for their personal cruises.

Hi There,

Done the Med a few times,

While the sail out of Venice is great nothing compares to sailing into Venice most Princess cruises then have Venice as an over night stop.

As to Rome for a first time, I would take a Princess tour, its a few hours by bus, roads are mad, everytime we have been there has been traffic problems,

Princess do a number of places on your own, which are great its like having your own hop on off bus, that way you have the freedom to do your own thing and the safety of Princess getting you back to the ship.

Where port is close to the main tour sites no problem, loads of local companies to pick from.

August get be hot like over 100,

You need to do a lot of home work,

There is just to much to see, so do not try and do 12 sites in a day,

pick a few and do them well, then go back another year.

Istanbul is a great city to visit.

You need to do 12 days minimum, fly in a day or two early and stay a day or two at the end.

A b2b out of would be a great way to see Europe if you could get the time.

yours Shogun

Hi There,

Done the Med a few times,

While the sail out of Venice is great nothing compares to sailing into Venice most Princess cruises then have Venice as an over night stop.

As to Rome for a first time, I would take a Princess tour, its a few hours by bus, roads are mad, everytime we have been there has been traffic problems,

Princess do a number of places on your own, which are great its like having your own hop on off bus, that way you have the freedom to do your own thing and the safety of Princess getting you back to the ship.

Where port is close to the main tour sites no problem, loads of local companies to pick from.

August get be hot like over 100,

You need to do a lot of home work,

There is just to much to see, so do not try and do 12 sites in a day,

pick a few and do them well, then go back another year.

Istanbul is a great city to visit.

You need to do 12 days minimum, fly in a day or two early and stay a day or two at the end.

A b2b out of would be a great way to see Europe if you could get the time.

yours Shogun

Calmom, if you go with the Grand Med Venice to Barcelona, both of those ports are close to the cities. Visit the ports of call europe boards on cruise critic for help with hotels. The regulars on that board are great.

As for tours, my advice would be to join the roll call for your cruise. You can get transportation and tours for less than Princess charges and avoid lines and get a more personal experience. The train from Civitavecchia to Rome is a popular choice at €9,50 round trip. We did a roll call tour, which was great. But next time, train for us. Again, you will get great advice at the ports of call boards. Those folks will give you the best advice out there.

Calmom, I was a Europe newbee till last year when we did our first Med cruise (Egypt & Aegean). So from a first timers standpoint, here are my thoughts...

We were first booked on a R/T Barcelona cruise on NCL but switched to R/T Rome on Princess. I'm sure Barcelona is a great city and hope to see it one day but with starting in Rome, it allowed us to spend two nights and two full days touring there. I would not have traded that for the world! Rome is such an amazing city. An excursion will give you a little taste but if ot were ever possible to do another cruise in the med, I would still want to start or end a cruise in Rome.

Another total surprise for us was Turkey. We ported in Kusadasi and Istanbul. I'd love to spend more time there as well. Beautiful cities so rich in history, great people. Want to go back someday and spend more time in Istanbul.

Haven't been to Venice but from everything I've read, it's another not to be missed.

Good luck with your decison. Do lots of research and be sure to join your roll call once you've picked a sailing. (Tip - you can go to your local library and get all kinds of Rick Steves travel videos or look for them on tv)

Don't forget that when planning your time off, you'll have to allow another day for travel. Flights to Europe from the East Coast typically leave in the evening and arrive the next morning, so you are flying overnight. And, it looks like you will be taking extra time to get from California to the East Coast . We left Boston on a Wednesday evening, didn't arrive at our hotel in Venice until Thursday afternoon, boarded the ship on Saturday.

Another tip: we bought the Rick Steves guidebooks for most of the cities we visited, found them very helpful.

Seconding all the suggestions for the Grand Med itinerary. Easily the best itinerary I have ever seen. I know you've said you've done Alaska, so have I (3 times), but the Grand Med can really knock you out! The touring day after day can get exhausting, and you'll probably have to turn in early a few nights or sneak a nap here and there. It's more than worth it.

If you end in Venice, you'll arrive at 1pm on the last day. The next day's time probably means that's when disembarkation begins. At any rate, as an overnight, you'll have the afternoon/evening there before disembarking.

As for the Barcelona vs. Venice question - honestly, I couldn't choose. Both are fantastic cities. Venice has the wow factor of being surrounded by water and ancient buildings, but Barcelona is delightful as well and has a lot of culture and sights. If time is an issue, could you do a day in both? It seems a shame to travel that far and completely skip one of them.

Hotels are more expensive in Europe. First you have the $/euro exchange, and then the fact that most of these cities are pretty desirable and pricey. If you book early (I booked about 6 months out), some might have early booking specials. For example, at our hotel in Venice, I got three nights for the price of two. In Venice - where the hotels were most pricey - that meant a lot! Princess charged $400 a night for the same hotel...per person! Book independently and do your homework. Browse the websites of hotels recommended here or TripAdvisor. I'd personally try to stay close to the action in either embarkation city. In Barcelona, a hotel on Las Ramblas (major pedestrian area with street performers, shops etc.) was perfect, and we loved our hotel in Venice, just a block from St. Mark's Square. Las Ramblas was a short cab ride from the port, and St. Mark's to the port was a water taxi trip. IMHO, it's not worth it staying on the mainland or close to the port in Venice. You're there to see Venice in all its island glory, not the airport.

Aside from studying the CC Europe boards, another big suggestion: pick up a Rick Steves guidebook. We spent significant time in Venice and Spain before and after the cruise, and the guides were indispensable. His philosophy is efficient budget travel, and he offers a lot of tips for eating (both cheaply and splurging), hotel recommendations, small guides for the sites, and avoiding typical pitfalls and tourist traps. He really gives a great feel for each city. The books were worth every penny we paid for them, and then some!

Hope this helps. For this cruise, the planning was very intense, but made the trip close to perfect. If you decide to do this cruise, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

WOW, thank you all again, you are already lowering my stress level;).

So if the ports are an hour away from the town, how far are the airports from the ports? It varies by port. In Rome for example, the main airport is closer to the port than Rome is.

Would I want to stay closer to the airport or closer to the port, wherever I am boarding the ship? I have heard how expensive the hotels are in Europe, what is considered expensive? How would I go about getting the best price? If you are staying a day or two ahead of your cruise (or after) I would always recommend staying IN the city, rather than at the port or at the airport UNLESS you have a very early morning flight out. If you stay in the city, you maximize the sightseeing you can do. Costs also vary by city and by time of year. A 3-4 star hotel in the central area (Trevi-Pantheon-Navona) area of Rome might cost $250/night in shoulder season but may be $100/night more in high season (e.g., summer). If you search, you can find places that are clean, safe, and well-located (although not as nice) for less.

I noticed on the GM 12 day cruise, that the ship arrives in Venice at 1:00 p.m. on day 12 and also shows arriving at 5:00 a.m. on Day 13. Does this mean that we arrive in the area on day 12 but don't dock at the port until 5:00 a.m. on day 13? I'm a little confused. On the GM itineraries, ships overnight in Venice. So you have an overnight on the ship either before your sail (if departing from Venice) or after you dock. This is great and allows you extra time in Venice without having to pay for an expensive hotel room. In my experience, hotels in Venice are among the MOST expensive in Europe.

Since this is a 12 day cruise, I would only be allowed to stay either 2 full days before in Barcelona or 2 full days after in Venice. Which would you recommend? See above. Since the ship has a built-in overnight in Venice, I would plan to spend the 2 days in Barcelona. Also helps you to get over any jet-lag, and eliminates worry about missing the ship due to unforeseen travel delays.

Thank you all again, I would be so lost without all of you. I know my TA has experience with European cruises but I prefer hearing from many opinions, especially CC members, they are very reliable and honest. CC members have no financial interest and at some point have benefited from other CC members, for their personal cruises.

As others have said, you should come on over to the Ports of Call boards where there is a lot of info on hotels, transportation, and sightseeing on a budget. :)

Archived