Boxed wine on board, anyone do it?

Mateo

I will be on AOS out of San Juan in March. If I can fine a box of wine in port is it sneakable? Thought the shape might be less detectible. Carry on or luggage? Anyone do it. I know "Box Wine" nothing but the best!

I agree. If you want to bring a box of wine on board try cruising on Carnival (BTW - I also sail Carnival so I'm not bashing them). Carnival will even let you bring up to two "bottles" of fine wine with your carry on luggage. That is one bottle per adult up to two bottles.

Man you guys are a tough crowd.........I'm able to afford RCI by saving a dollar or 10 by drinking box wine from time to time......I'm really just looking for a little buzz thats all!

:D How about it. Take no offense. Getting back to your question, I have read other posts were people take the bladder out of the box and put it in a zip lock, between clothes in your checked bag. You can break down the box and bring it or just put the bladder on ice.

OK, no more flames. Let the poor guy (or girl) just get an answer to his question

You can also purchase a wine package. There is one for 145, which is 5 bottles of your choice. Comes out to about 29.00 a bottle. That is what DH does.

I can't make a blanket statement against boxed wines. I've tasted some and enjoyed some, not all, but some are quite good. Back to smuggling though, I think sometimes a piece of luggage is flagged for scanning because of the weight. I'd consider a smaller box or bottle if you were going to go for it.

First of all, this subject has been beaten to death in numerous previous threads.

Having said that, whatever you do, don't attempt to smuggle wine with a screw-top. Not only will the luggage screeners detect it, but some people on this board will put you down for drinking wine in a screw-top bottle (even though there are now several "fine" wines that come with a screw-top.)

We learned long ago that the price tag on a bottle of wine may or may not reflect the quality of the wine! In fact, over the years, we have discovered some excellent, less expensive wines.

This gave me an idea for our upcoming cruise. We have a small "aerator" that attaches to the top of a wine bottle and fairly effectively aerates the wine. I think we'll take it and use it in the dining room.

We have used the box wine and some other things from time to time, we do it not to cheat RC but to make it a relaxing, getting ready for dinner drink, or in cabin time pleasure when we want it.

Before I say this everyone has a different taste in wine, and I love wine. I have found but one Box wine that was almost good(sorry cannot remember it name), most like black box are not that great, like a $4 bottle from Walmart. I do not agree with most people, who think great wines have to be expensive, I have had many great wines in the 4-7 dollar range, and some undrinkable wines in the 50 dollar range. The main difference is that the good 5 dollar wine will only be good, for the batch that is on the shelf or a short period of time, while wines in the 15 dollar and up will be more consistent in taste and quality, but even that will change from year to year.

Notice I left out the 8-14 dollar wines, for they seem to be a very happy medium of good and bad to my taste.

Which reminds me, I bought some $10 wines yesterday from a supermarket, and I will return them today, I have never done this before, but they tasted like turpentine or diesel fuel, maybe the winery in Oregon is on a volcano or a oil field LOL, not to bash Oregon wines but all three varieties we opened, all red were nasty and I do mean nasty.

I have found several boxed wines I enjoy drinking. To be very honest, I prefer wine that isn't overly expensive. My palate apparently isn't that "refined" or something, and I just figure why bother spending $30 on a bottle of wine when $10 will do - I can use the other $20 for something else. After a month or so of drinking my $10 wine, I can get a super-nice new pair of shoes! :) (And when it comes to shoes, more $$$ IS better!)

If I were going to try to bring boxed wine onboard, I think I would try with 2 of the smaller ones rather than one big one, taking the bladders out of the boxes and putting them in ziploc, then putting one bag in each of two suitcases, so as to kind of "spread it around" a bit. Perhaps it would be more likely to get by the scanners that way? Just a thought - as what I would do IF I were going to try it......:rolleyes:

Getting back to the original question. Yes, I smuggled a 5 liter box wine on my last cruise. No problem.

How? Can't say unfortunately. The cruise lines are definitely on to us smugglers. But it can be done, and done successfully. Use your imagination.

Mine name is Michael, and I'm a smuggler. (of booze):D

This gave me an idea for our upcoming cruise. We have a small "aerator" that attaches to the top of a wine bottle and fairly effectively aerates the wine. I think we'll take it and use it in the dining room.

We had a couple that did that on our trans-Atlantic. The maitre 'd and table captain came over to look at it and were fascinated with it. I bought a bunch for Christmas gifts.

Tucker in Texas

We have used the box wine and some other things from time to time, we do it not to cheat RC but to make it a relaxing, getting ready for dinner drink, or in cabin time pleasure when we want it.

While I seriously don't care whether you smuggle wine or not, just pointing out that this argument doesn't hold water (or wine, if you will) since, unlike other liquor, you can have as much wine as you want delivered or brought from a bar or the MDR to your cabin.

Is there a corkage fee if I bring my box wine to the dining room?

:D

They Do NOT allow personal wine in the MDR, so there is no fee listed. I got treated very poorly by a waiter on the Radiance when i brought a bottle to the MDR expecting to pay and was informed that he would do me a favor and open it but I was not supposed to have it. I told him don't risk his job on my account.. Guess what, you know who i saw on my Radiance Alaska cruise, him.. I looked at him untill he turned green and made him speak to me daily after he blessed me out.

Now, if you take wine aboard, keep it in your cabin and enjoy a glass there with your significant other or whatever as the case may be. I don't care if you brought it in a bottle, which will probably be scanned and taken from you, or a box which may well sneak aboard or in your Wine Rack Sports bra, http://www.firebox.com/product/2061/The-WineRack?src_t=cat&src_id=party#yourvideos, just have a great cruise like we just did.

Diamond members will be served complimentary wine each evening at the Diamond Event or in the DCL on Freedom and Oasis class. The Diamond Lounge is very nice on this class of ships.

Diamond Coupons are now offered for 20% off purchases of wine in MDR and also a 2 for 1 coupon as well. Have a vidalia tart for me with that Prime Rib Dinner and a nice glass of Clos du Bois merlot.

Princess, HAL, Carnival and probably the other lines Carnival owns all allow you to bring your own wine aboard. Last cruise on Princess, I brought a box of wine (12 bottles) on board without any problems. They were in the winery box so no question what was inside. Corking fee in the MDR was $15.

For the OP, attempting to bring alcohol aboard in your carryon is highly risky as everything must go through the scanner (except the boose bra of course :rolleyes:) so your chances of being detected are great. If you choose to bring it aboard, put it in your checked luggage and try not to make it obvious what it is. Bottle shapes, metal caps and excess weight are all indications that some alcohol may be inside. You have a very high chance of getting it by the gestapo.

To the screw cap snobs, the caps are air tight, do not leak like cork, do not have to be stored on their side and are easy to open. With the cork shortage (you do realize there is a shortage) more wine bottles will be sealed with the metal screw caps. I prefer the screw caps over cork. They are far superior.

Archived