No thanks to upgrade - good decision?

mdgary

We got a call from Princess yesterday saying they were upgrading us to a mini-suite (D602) for our upcoming Sapphire cruise but turned the it down.. We had booked the aft facing balcony cabin (C753) over a year ago and heard how great this cabin was. We have had mini-suites before and they are nice but didn't want to give up this cabin. Was this the right decision (just curious).:confused::confused:

Tough decision.

The upgrade to a minisuite would be really nice and they are few and far between... but to give up a rear cabin on the Caribe deck (our favorite deck)....would be hard to do.

I guess in the end, we might have taken the upgrade. We rarely book a minisuite and it would've been nice to have the extra room.

But you will enjoy the rear cabin for sure....

I think you were right to turn down the upgrade. We love the corner aft cabins, especially on Caribe deck. The mini's on Dolphin are all uncovered so if you prefer covered balconies, you made the right decision. Granted, there's more room in a mini, but we still love the aft.

I have the same cabin booked as you and wondered myself with all the upgrade talk if I would take one and the answer is most like yes, I would take the upgrade. We enjoy the extra room and full bath of the mini suite. I highly doubt I am going to have to face this decision as all our mini and full suites are waitlisted for our cruise.

We got a call from Princess yesterday saying they were upgrading us to a mini-suite (D602) for our upcoming Sapphire cruise but turned the it down.. We had booked the aft facing balcony cabin (C753) over a year ago and heard how great this cabin was. We have had mini-suites before and they are nice but didn't want to give up this cabin. Was this the right decision (just curious).:confused::confused:

Yes I think it was a good call. ;)

The good news is you have to choose between being very happy and being very happy. In either case, you will be very happy. We just got off the Island Princess in a mini-suite (D524 down the hall from the one they offered you), and we have been on the Emerald Princess in the aft balcony cabin you have. We loved both. I would say it comes down to what you are planning to do on the cruise. Our aft facing cabin was perfect for relaxing on a S. Carib vacation that had several at-sea days. Our primary goal was relaxation. The cabin was perfect; quiet, large, private, view of the wake, etc. Our mini-suite was in Alaska where we wanted to be out on the balcony looking at scenery and wildlife whenever we were not ashore on an excursion; it was perfect for that.

In either case, you will be happy. Enjoy your cruise.

I think you made a great decision. Last October we had a corner aft balcony (BB category) on the Baja deck for our repo cruise out of NY. I booked it a year and half out. It was huge; we had two pool loungers and a table with four chairs on the balcony. I just recently booked the New England and Canada cruise and to my surprise the same room was available. You will not be disappointed. I have had a mini suite as well and the only real difference is a full bathtub and a sitting area with extra TV but who on vacation really spends that much time in their room?

This is the one thing I wish I could change on some of these ships--there are NO minis AFT!!!!

I love aft cabins....but for us, the extra space in a mini is something we decided that enhanced our cruise tremendously. The only reason we don't go for the BBs aft is because there just isn't enough "elbow" room for us. But we also go for the minis on the Emerald deck because we don't want to be fully exposed.

If it is a short cruise (7 days or less), you should be fine. But we typically don't cruise for less than two weeks so maybe it is more important for us to have the larger inside space.

And two tvs for some people is a non-issue. Hats off to you...but my DH and I have pretty much watched different things of TV all of our married lives (19 years in Oct). It just is....and will always be. And I'm a little hard of hearing (have been since my 20's) so I always carry a handy-dandy little clip thing that you simply plug into the headphone jack on any tv and I get to hear my tv through my own headset (I like earbuds from my ipod the best). So he can watch whatever he wants...which is usually music--ha!...and I can watch a movie or something else if I want)....it works for us.

:)

I think you said it in your posting - you chose the cabin you wanted over a year ago. Sticking with it seems a good decision, as it is what you want (regardless of what anyone else might do or not do).

We gave up an aft balcony once on a move-over offer and our TA thought we were totally nuts, as those are some of the most desired cabins. In our case we got a cruise to Egypt. In your case you have a cabin and relaxing experience to be envied by many.

Have a great cruise and don't look back at the decision !

The only way I would move out of an aft facing balcony is to be upgraded to:

1) aft facing suite

2) PH suite midship

I agree with your call -- no way would a run of a mill mini be worth it to lose that wonderful wake view!

Katherine

We were "upgraded" to a Dolphin mini-suite from our aft balcony on our May cruise and after that experience I would not book a Dolphin mini-suite , so I guess you could say Princess did us a favor by letting us sample this room category for the balcony price. Just didn't like the open balcony. That being said, we have booked mini-suites (covered!) on our next 2 cruises so I think Princess knew what they were doing. The extra space is nice.

Thanks for the responses. I think I made the right choice in staying where we were. If this was a Caribbean cruise we probably would have taken the upgrade, but since this is Alaska I felt that cabin was too good to give up. :)

We were in C753 on the Golden last year to Alaska in September. We would not have given this room up for anything except an aft suite. It was especially awesome while cruising Tracy Arm Fjord. It was raining, but we were able to take in everything from our covered balcony. We also saw some of the most beautiful sunrises I have ever seen off the back of the boat.

We did bring a couple of small fleece blankets, and I am glad we did - those balconies can get cold when you get lost in the scenery!

Here's one for you: We were booked in one of the aft-facing corner balconies on the Sapphire last year (Nov/Dec)...I'd been dreaming about the cabin for months. We arrive at the port to be told "congratulations...you've been upgraded." I'm not a lunatic, but I threw a total fit...I mean, I went nuts. Evidently when we switched cabins to that one, the "do not upgrade" request did not carry over. Additionally, we booked thru an agent & Princess swears the agency was notified of the upgrade quite a while ahead of time, which the agency denied (I believe Princess). Anyway, none of this really mattered as I stood there freaking out. We spent the entire first afternoon trying to sort this out....the front desk ppl allegedly contacted several passengers in aft-facing balconies to see if they wanted to switch to my mini-suite, but the only cabin that offered was the one on Dolphin deck near that vent I keep reading about as not being ideal.

Anyway, we took the mini (no choice) & it actually worked out fine, but the whole thing was totally unnecessary & really aggravating. I had my reasons for specifically wanting a corner cabin (I'm really noise sensitive & sometimes get sandwiched in between noisy neighbors), but that's not really the point.

So, I of all ppl understand why you would turn down the upgrade! LOL...

Archived