Not So Live From The Crown Princess

Pam in CA

Everywhere we went in Halifax ,Iceland and Norway we paid AFter completion.Our vendors did VERY well with us.We had GREAT AWESOME tours and these people were VERY GENEROUSLY rewarded by all.

I loved all we saw in AKUREIRI ..We had a Fabulous day.

Could you share some information about your tour in Akureiri? Tour Operator, what you saw, etc.? Some of us are on the Crown TA in 2011. Thanks so much!

I prefer private tours. If anything this thread reminds many of us about private tours and asking about cancellation policies if the ship doesn't make the port.

I personally will not book with any companies that will not provide a full refund if the ship doesn't dock. Thankfully, the companies I have dealt with in the past are used to dealing with cruise passengers and have provided this refund policy.

I encourage McComb's to consider a full refund for these individuals and to change their policy. If they want to work with cruise ship passengers, they need to give them an out if the ship doesn't arrive. Most cruise friendly private tours do this.

A reminder for those who choose to book with non-refundable companies, you may want to include the cost of the tour with your travel insurance.

I totally agree with Coral.

As a businesswoman, I understand that tour companies base their refund (no refund) policies on the inconsiderate pax who book and then just decide to change their plans or no-show. However, even a "no-refund" tour company should have an exception if the ship doesn't make port for whatever reason. This happened to us on a Hawaii cruise and the private tour operator, who did have a no refund policy, fully refunded to everyone on the ship when we didn't make port -- before we even had a chance to ask for it. So hmmm....I don't always practice what I preach. I guess I DID book a no-refund private tour myself, and just got lucky. Reminder to self.

But esp since I am considering this itinerary for next August, I will remind myself (again) not to book any no-refund tours. Pam, et al, we really hope this works out satisfactorily for you, and let us know. Half is better than nothing IF the operator indeed did what she said, but a full refund IS in order. This operator HAS to know what happens with weather in the fall in these ports. Good luck to all!

Could you share some information about your tour in Akureiri? Tour Operator, what you saw, etc.? Some of us are on the Crown TA in 2011. Thanks so much!

We went everywhere with this man .WE drove thru town crossed a bridge ...he showed us both his sister's and his house WEnt around some lake,at the waterfalls some very famous one ...GORGEOUS ,

Volcano,volcanoe park and where America Joins Europe the tectonic plates that is ,sulphur pits ..that was Amazing .,mineral baths in caves and finally mineral baths where we stayed for 1 hour ..FABULOUS!!!WE were in a GREAt minivan Very comfy .We even stopped at a famous church with an incredible view of a Glacier from the altar

we spent a FULL day with him ...I think the highlight of our trip !!!To boot it was GORGEOUS out ..The lakes were like mirrors or sheets of ice If I knew how to post pictures I could show you BUT I'm limited in computer skills LOL!!!

I did not book this tour Susan did but if you go on our cruise website you will get the info This is how we got to go Susan found him for us .

His wife does the tour too ....request to have him do it

We stopped everywhere for pictures .There were 8 of us I think we paid around 65$ each plus we all added lots of tip ....our Brit Friends were also very generous!!!He did VERY well with our group but he was truly wonderful We saw it all and never felt rushed

Look in FIRE AND ICE JULY 13in the roll calls

Read early posts where Susan suggests outings .He truly was wonderful Like I said our group was TREMENDOUSLY generous with him we were SOOOO pleased

Give him our regards

Michele

We went everywhere with this man .WE drove thru town crossed a bridge ...he showed us both his sister's and his house WEnt around some lake,at the waterfalls some very famous one ...GORGEOUS ,

Volcano,volcanoe park and where America Joins Europe the tectonic plates that is ,sulphur pits ..that was Amazing .,mineral baths in caves and finally mineral baths where we stayed for 1 hour ..FABULOUS!!!WE were in a GREAt minivan Very comfy .We even stopped at a famous church with an incredible view of a Glacier from the altar

we spent a FULL day with him ...I think the highlight of our trip !!!To boot it was GORGEOUS out ..The lakes were like mirrors or sheets of ice If I knew how to post pictures I could show you BUT I'm limited in computer skills LOL!!!

I did not book this tour Susan did but if you go on our cruise website you will get the info This is how we got to go Susan found him for us .

We stopped everywhere for pictures .There were 8 of us I think we paid around 65$ each plus we all added lots of tip ....our Brit Friends were also very generous!!!He did VERY well with our group but he was truly wonderful We saw it all and never felt rushed

Read early posts where Susan suggests outings .He truly was wonderful Like I said our group was TREMENDOUSLY generous with him we were SOOOO pleased

Give him our regards

Michele

Thanks Michele! Will definltely consider this tour!

Give him our regards

Michele

I found where the info was

Akureyri:

I have booked an approximately 6-7 hour tour with Taxi 17’s owner/driver Auðun Benediktsson. The taxi will accommodate up to 8 persons. Tour highlights will include Godafoss, Lake Myvatn, Skútustadir, Dimmuborgir, Námaskard, Krafla - Víti, and a stop at the Myvatn Nature baths to have a swim. (some people think this is much better than the Blue Lagoon near Reykavik) Will we be doing some geocaching as well? Of course!

1 - 4 persons: ISK 55,000 =$430 US $107 each

5 - 8 persons: ISK 66,000 = $517 US $65 each

Shetland Islands (Lerwick)

Hope this helps

Michele

I found where the info was

Akureyri:

I have booked an approximately 6-7 hour tour with Taxi 17’s owner/driver Auðun Benediktsson. The taxi will accommodate up to 8 persons. Tour highlights will include Godafoss, Lake Myvatn, Skútustadir, Dimmuborgir, Námaskard, Krafla - Víti, and a stop at the Myvatn Nature baths to have a swim. (some people think this is much better than the Blue Lagoon near Reykavik) Will we be doing some geocaching as well? Of course!

1 - 4 persons: ISK 55,000 =$430 US $107 each

5 - 8 persons: ISK 66,000 = $517 US $65 each

Shetland Islands (Lerwick)

Hope this helps

Michele

Hello Michelle.

If you can help further (and it kind of you to find this much) do you or your friends have any contact info for this gentleman? We are taking this cruise next year, and I am already accumulating my excursions file....

I kinda think that googling Taxi 17 in Iceland is not gonna work for me....still, I guess I'll try!!!!

Thx,

Sandi

Good for you

Do include the Mineral bath at the end ..WE paid at the counter ....I loved that experience......it was truly wonderful As i said we had a GLORIOUS WARM sunny day This was in July

I wish you as GREAT a day.His car is very comfy and he is very pleasant .WE had a very nice group 8 in the car ..more like a LARGE minivan .The others went with his wife and they enjoyed their tour as well but did not go to the BATHs They went back to the ship early ...we HOOFED it cause we were a tad late ...did not miss the ship however.VERY VERY COMPLETE tour All in our group respected time frame which is Vital if you want to see it all and stay AHEAD of the BIG ...were talking HUGE busses hired by the cruiseline ...think STRETCH busses with a ZILLION people herded together ...ok ok I'm exagerating but we stayed ahead most of the day .The FALLS are very pretty

WE went in GRUNDASFJORDUR also with another lady but it was not as pretty but still enjoyed the experience.

I enjoyed Akureiri much more!!!

Good Luck Have fun!!!

Michele

Well we're back in NYC ... although I think we're about an hour and a half late. We were supposed to dock at 5:00 a.m. (I think). I know the first group was scheduled for 6:00 a.m., and they definitely didn't make it as we're just now docking.

We hit weather last night like I've never seen ... thunderstorms at sea. It was pretty interesting (and I'm sure that's why we're delayed).

Captain Nash has done an excellent job keeping us informed and safe throughout this trip. When all is said and done, you really can't ask for any more on a transatlantic cruise.

For those coming after us, the ship is in excellent shape and the crew fabulous. Enjoy!

Yes, back to civilization - my blackberry works again!

Thanks to all we've met on this trip, especially our table mates who were the icing on the cake for the cruise. Was fun hanging out with you guys and hope we do it again before too long...on dry land or on the sea.

We've enjoyed the Crown but I'm definitely looking forward to getting back home Tuesday if Igor doesn't mess up the plan.

Safe travels back home everyone.

Peg

Well we're back in NYC ... although I think we're about an hour and a half late. We were supposed to dock at 5:00 a.m. (I think). I know the first group was scheduled for 6:00 a.m., and they definitely didn't make it as we're just now docking.

We hit weather last night like I've never seen ... thunderstorms at sea. It was pretty interesting (and I'm sure that's why we're delayed).

Captain Nash has done an excellent job keeping us informed and safe throughout this trip. When all is said and done, you really can't ask for any more on a transatlantic cruise.

For those coming after us, the ship is in excellent shape and the crew fabulous. Enjoy!

Guess you ran into the storms that swept thru NYC around 5:30 pm yesterday---they think a tornado touched down--checking it out today. Trees down everywhere, bricks & roofs blown off buildings. Safe home everyone!

Marge

We were on the Crown, last year, with you.

Yes, we missed four Ports; however, Princess did compensate us.

We received a $ 250.00 OBC; we also received a 10% refund on

our Cruise cost toward a future Cruise.

IOHO, Princess did every thing to take care of we passengers.

Safely back home from this cruise. Had a great time although we were sorry to miss 2 ports, especially Iceland. DH was stationed in the waters around Iceland on submarine patrol during WWII and was looking forward to setting foot on land but alas once again he just saw Iceland from a

ship:rolleyes:. We have not gotten any OBC or refunds, etc. on this cruise:confused:

Yes, back to civilization - my blackberry works again!

Thanks to all we've met on this trip, especially our table mates who were the icing on the cake for the cruise. Was fun hanging out with you guys and hope we do it again before too long...on dry land or on the sea.

We've enjoyed the Crown but I'm definitely looking forward to getting back home Tuesday if Igor doesn't mess up the plan.

Safe travels back home everyone.

Peg

Peg, thanks again for showing off your beautiful cabin on our cabin crawl. Enjoy your postcruise and get home safely

Guess you ran into the storms that swept thru NYC around 5:30 pm yesterday---they think a tornado touched down--checking it out today. Trees down everywhere, bricks & roofs blown off buildings. Safe home everyone!

Marge

While driving home from the port, saw many trees uprooted along the parkway and was very happy to see our house and trees all safe and not affected by the storm, even tho it was very close to home.

PS to Cindy, thanks for passing along the hello from our daughter. :)

Just walked in a few minutes ago. Very long day. Since our flight to LAX wasn't until 5pm, we opted to take an all-day tour in NYC. I lived and worked in NYC in the 60s and it's been years since I've been back, so it was interesting. The best part is that the day passed quickly. We had only an hour wait at the gate before boarding. Then a 6-hour flight and two hours to get luggage and arrive home.

On our way from downtown NYC, we passed through Bedford Stuyvesant. There were trees down all over the place. We passed one small park where all the trees were down. Must have been a heck of a storm.

To clarify something, we were due in NY at 5pm but couldn't dock until 6pm. The Captain explained that if they threw out the lines before 6am, there's an extra $18,000 charge so they don't tie up until after 6am.

Also, we received credits for our port charges for Belfast and Reykjavik. I would never expect anything more since it's to be expected that we could miss ports due to weather. Several of the ports have very tricky entrances/exits and as the Captain explained, the thrusters are ineffective when wind speed are more than 27 knots. The ship is so tall that it's like a giant sail.

I'll try to post more tomorrow but with email and mail to go through, and unpacking, not sure how much I'll contribute. :)

As for clothing, bring layers. It's been chilly but not cold/freezing, even if you're used to SoCal temps. I brought a lightweight rain jacket from Lands End that packs into it's own pocket and haven't needed anything warmer. Had a t-shirt and sweater underneath the jacket for Greenland. Wore pretty much the same thing today and had to take the jacket off.

I went quite a bit inland from the harbor in Qaqortoq to see the large lake behind town and was glad I had my long-johns on (under thin jeans) and my muffler (but no hat), as there was a pretty stiff cold wind from the north. It was much more comfortable down around the harbor. That said, that was the only day I needed those enhancements. Even if we'd made it into Reykjavik it was forecast to be in the 50s.

I am so jealous that you got to see the polar ice cap! I hope our itinerary goes astray next year so we get to see it too. Although, I realise the chances of this happening is minimal. boo :(

Actually the captain misspoke and I was surprised no one on the bridge ever corrected him. What we saw was Greenland's ice cap, which was impressive in and of itself. The polar ice cap covers the North Pole area. As we were leaving Narss Sund, we also could see a glacier descending from the ice cap to the sea.

A big thank you to Pam and cindep and the others who posted from this cruise. As we are booked for the same cruise next year, I had a great interest in following the "Journey of the Crown to the Top of the World" (sounds like a grade B movie title :) ).

Most of all, glad to hear that you are safely home.

Shalom, Andy.

Actually the captain misspoke and I was surprised no one on the bridge ever corrected him. What we saw was Greenland's ice cap, which was impressive in and of itself. The polar ice cap covers the North Pole area. As we were leaving Narss Sund, we also could see a glacier descending from the ice cap to the sea.

Oh Barb, you burst my bubble.:( I told all my friends that I actually saw the polar ice cap. Shame on you Captain Nick Nash! But we still appreciate that the Captain joined us at our Meet & Mingle.

I was told by another passenger (if we can believe anyone) that the Greenland glacier extends for over 1,000 miles. Anyway, we were able to get awesome pictures cruising around Greenland.

All of your thanks are acknowledged. We really enjoyed the trip, but aren't ready for another one in awhile.

Disembarkation (at least for us), went VERY smoothly. We were literally off the ship, through immigration and customs, and off to the airport in mere minutes. We got off the ship at 8:15 a.m., and were at LGA before 9:30 ... that was even with rush hour NYC traffic! I was duly impressed (DH found an awesome porter who was very gungho ... suggest you pay the tip ... it is well worth it!).

I haven't started reviewing the pictures I took (and there are many), but will begin to do that. I will also write a review in the future ... possibly its own thread where I can add some good photos.

A big shout out to Peg ... hope your time in the States is good and that the hurricane decides to leave Bermuda alone!!! You too made our trip extra special as well!

Oh Barb, you burst my bubble.:( I told all my friends that I actually saw the polar ice cap. Shame on you Captain Nick Nash! But we still appreciate that the Captain joined us at our Meet & Mingle.

I was told by another passenger (if we can believe anyone) that the Greenland glacier extends for over 1,000 miles. Anyway, we were able to get awesome pictures cruising around Greenland.

"Somebody lied to you" - can you believe this of Princess or are you gullible!

They know not what they say!! :eek:

Welcome home everyone! Isn't sailing into NYC the best?!!!!:)

Pam, good job on not gaining any weight! ;)

Sorry to hear about the missed ports, hopefully you had insurance to cover and charges that were charged and not just guaranteed.

Welcome home everyone! Isn't sailing into NYC the best?!!!!:)

Sorry to hear about the missed ports, hopefully you had insurance to cover and charges that were charged and not just guaranteed.

Mary, we're sorry that you weren't able to cruise with us. Since we missed Belfast, I can't report on how good (or not) Norm Reilly was. At least you had talked him out of pre-payment and for that we are very grateful!

Hi Pam, I'm sorry you are having such a challenging cruise but it is exciting to read about :) I checked with all private tour guides in Asia two years ago that we booked and asked all what if the ship skips the port??? What happens??? Do you lose your deposit/charge????? Karen

Archived