Priority Boarding vs Priority Check In...Same???

Flonightey

Is there a difference or do some just use these terms interchangably?

When I went on INDY in a JS, we got in the suite line to meet with the RCCL Agent. After that I went the exact same place as everyone else... Is there also a separate place for priority boarding???

Thanks In Advance...

When I went on INDY in a JS, we got in the suite line to meet with the RCCL Agent. After that I went the exact same place as everyone else... Is there also a separate place for priority boarding???

Thanks In Advance...

Most often when the term "priority boarding" is used, what is really meant is "priority check-in" where suite guests as well as platinum and diamond members have dedicated lines where they can check in and receive their seapass cards. Once those cards are received, there is no priority given for boarding and everyone who has checked in can board together. I understand, however, that for the Oasis, at the time that boarding first begins, passengers are boarded according to their status as suite passengers, Diamond Plus, Diamond, Platinum etc. I imagine that this only happens until those who checked in prior to the ship being ready for boarding have been allowed on board and thereafter, boarding is on a first come, first served basis.:)

Thanks In Advance...

No, they are not the same. Canaveral and Miami have both priority check-in and boarding.

There are shorter lines (priority) to get your sea pass cards. Once you get the cards, they sit you in an area where you get to board first. The priority boarding only matters if you check in and get the cards before they start boarding. Once they start, they do suites and D+ first and then move to others. After all those waiting have boarded, later in the day, people just check in and go right on the ship. If there are no people waiting to board, but long lines for check in, priority check in will get you checked in quicker, therefore, on board quicker.

In Port Everglades, terminal 18 (the new Oasis terminal) has priority check in and boarding. The Indy usually docks at terminal 24/25. That is an old warehouse that basically has neither priority check in or boarding.

San Juan has priority check in. I don't know about priority boarding. We never got to the terminal early enough to see.

It varies from port to port.

San Juan has priority check in. I don't know about priority boarding. We never got to the terminal early enough to see.

They do but it's pretty funny. It's rows of plastic deck chairs, 1st few rows are priority. We checked in with friends (platinum) and we're diamond, they were in the row behind us...we walked on together. They try...I felt special :D in my deck chair.

They do but it's pretty funny. It's rows of plastic deck chairs, 1st few rows are priority. We checked in with friends (platinum) and we're diamond, they were in the row behind us...we walked on together. They try...I felt special :D in my deck chair.

Kind of like the priority check in. It's there, you just have to find it behind the usually large crowd in front of the terminal entrance.:D

The (Oasis) terminal 18 priority boarding area is the best. It is a large area with lots of sofa style seats. We got to use it for the Indy on a Sunday when the Oasis wasn't there. It was the first cruise after the Indy did the trans Atlantic. The Coast Guard inspection delayed boarding until after 3 p.m. There were 4000 passengers waiting to board. Priority boarding sure made a difference that time.

Since the Allure is going to be there on Sundays, The other weekend departures will be stuck with warehouse 24/25. Yuck.:(

Thanks for the San Juan Update....Now I can feel special in my deck chair too! :-) hahaha

Thanks for the San Juan Update....Now I can feel special in my deck chair too! :-) hahaha

If you are sailing out of San Juan, a few tips.

Take a taxi to the terminal from the airport. It is quicker and cheaper than the RCI transfers. It is a fixed charge. Something like $20 for up to four in the cab, and an extra $1 per bag. For example 4 people with 10 bags is $30.00 total (plus any tips you feel appropriate)

Same process for the return trip to the airport.

The priority check in line is usually up against the building behind the longer line. Look for the signs to the left side of the lines where the porters put the luggage in the carts.

If flying back to the U.S., you have to get your luggage checked by the USDA before going to the check in and TSA luggage scanners. Don't wait until you stand in line for an hour, just to find you have to go back to the USDA inspection line.

Edited by EVALUATOR

In Port Everglades, terminal 18 (the new Oasis terminal) has priority check in and boarding. The Indy usually docks at terminal 24/25. That is an old warehouse that basically has neither priority check in or boarding.

It varies from port to port.

IN P E. terminal 24/25. Yes they do. If you are there before boarding they send platinum and above upstairs for priority boarding, diamonds were seperated along with suites. They did this when I was on Indy in January. It was nice being in the first group.

• 4 months later...
If you are sailing out of San Juan, a few tips.

Take a taxi to the terminal from the airport. It is quicker and cheaper than the RCI transfers. It is a fixed charge. Something like $20 for up to four in the cab, and an extra $1 per bag. For example 4 people with 10 bags is $30.00 total (plus any tips you feel appropriate)

Same process for the return trip to the airport.

The priority check in line is usually up against the building behind the longer line. Look for the signs to the left side of the lines where the porters put the luggage in the carts.

If flying back to the U.S., you have to get your luggage checked by the USDA before going to the check in and TSA luggage scanners. Don't wait until you stand in line for an hour, just to find you have to go back to the USDA inspection line.

Evaluator-

Thanks for these tips. One question...when you mention the USDA check-in, does that occur at the San Juan airport on the return home?

IN P E. terminal 24/25. Yes they do. If you are there before boarding they send platinum and above upstairs for priority boarding, diamonds were seperated along with suites. They did this when I was on Indy in January. It was nice being in the first group.

Yes..Port Everglades, when were on the INDY this past March..we were taken upstairs in the elevator personally ..we were the first ones there and the first ones on the ship..those RCI terminal workers knew exactly who got there and at what time..so they boarded you according to that...very nice..thanks ladies !!!

Last time out of SJ, we were advised (on this board) to leave our ship tags on luggage and it would be exempt from the USDA line...and that worked OK. Still the case?

Jan. 8,when we got to the airport from the port, we got a porter to take our bags in. He said we had to go thru the USDA line. We had our tags on our luggage.

Edited by ARCruisinNana

Evaluator-

Thanks for these tips. One question...when you mention the USDA check-in, does that occur at the San Juan airport on the return home?

It happens at the SJU airport. All bags, both checked and whatever you carry on must go through the USDA x-ray machines and then be stickered before you can give the bags you want checked to your airline and before you proceed to TSA check points.

There are hanging signs that will direct you to the USDA x-ray machines.

• 8 years later...
On 9/6/2010 at 4:57 PM, njoyndride said:

They do but it's pretty funny. It's rows of plastic deck chairs, 1st few rows are priority. We checked in with friends (platinum) and we're diamond, they were in the row behind us...we walked on together. They try...I felt special 😄 in my deck chair.

Diamond gets a plastic deck chair?! Woohoo I'm stoked lol

On 9/6/2010 at 6:23 PM, Flonightey said:

Thanks In Advance...

no they are not the same.  check in means you  have a dedicated line which may or may not be shorter than any other line you are  eligible to go on.

I honestly thought JS got to  sit in the suite  waiting area( keeping in mind that not all terminals actually have a separate area)  , and thus got to board after Pinnacle with the rest of the suites.  

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2011 at 5:12 PM, 39august said:

Last time out of SJ, we were advised (on this board) to leave our ship tags on luggage and it would be exempt from the USDA line...and that worked OK. Still the case?

We've flown out of San Juan 9-10 times.  USDA check has never taken more than 60 seconds.  It's not a big deal.

On 9/7/2010 at 5:08 AM, read52 said:

Baltimore has a separate sitting area for priority boarding. They also have priority check in.

They also have a priority line for security for suites and some others.