Queen Mary 2 delay

bobby1119

I was told about an hour ago by a cunard rep that they had a engine problem and the Qm2 probably wouldn't get in until around 2PM on Sunday. You could call Customer Service after 6am, California time for latest update on sunday.

Ken Craig

I am currently on the QM 2.

We lost power all over the ship for 15 minutes yesterday around 10.15 am and that caused some havoc on the systems...they had to check and reset a lot of the technical equipement. We left Quebec at midnight instead of 6 PM. We are running behind, and we will arrive in NYC later than planned. Anytime between noon and 2 PM on Sunday.

Hmmmm, this should make life interesting on Sunday!

Has anyone experienced a delay like this before? Should those of us boarding honour our current assigned times, or will everything most likely be pushed back to accommodate a late arrival and repairs? I hate the thought of missing the sail-out because of a late dinner sitting!

Of course, Cunard will have to make amends...upgrades to the Princess Grill for all! :D

-CDN

I am currently on the QM 2.

We lost power all over the ship for 15 minutes yesterday around 10.15 am and that caused some havoc on the systems...they had to check and reset a lot of the technical equipement. We left Quebec at midnight instead of 6 PM. We are running behind, and we will arrive in NYC later than planned. Anytime between noon and 2 PM on Sunday.

Hi happyglobetrotter. It was good of you to take the time to post. You and your fellow passengers have certainly had an interesting voyage with more than your share of challenges. Has there been any official word on what has caused the various problems the ship has encounterd since departing Southampton?

Wishing you good sea day on Saturday,

Salacia

Has anyone experienced a delay like this before? Should those of us boarding honour our current assigned times, or will everything most likely be pushed back to accommodate a late arrival and repairs? I hate the thought of missing the sail-out because of a late dinner sitting!

Of course, Cunard will have to make amends...upgrades to the Princess Grill for all! :D

-CDN

Hi CDN, I agree: upgrades to the Grill for us all (and I'm not even booked on Sunday's voyage):D

But seriously...regarding your boarding on Sunday, have you received no advice on that directly from Cunard? If not, I would call and enquire.

Since reliable reports are that Cunard Officals indicate the earliest QM2 will dock in Redhook is noon on Sunday, and since disembarkation of all passengers takes approx 3 hours, by my calculations, it follows that earliest boarding (Grills patrons and Platinum World Club members) would take place around 3pm. Obviously just my personal opinion for what it's worth, but I would not plan my arrival at the Red Hook Terminal any earlier than 3pm.

BTW, on my previous six QM2 voyages, I planned my arrival at RedHook between 2 and 3 pm, which worked well for me (and that was when the ship was on schedule).;)

Bueno suerte,

Salacia

I'm quite surprised that Cunard has not informed those of us who are departing on Sunday of the delay. I only found out about it by accident tonight, 12 hours before I fly to NYC. I checked the Cunard site and didn't see anything. What's wrong with this picture?

I'm quite surprised that Cunard has not informed those of us who are departing on Sunday of the delay. I only found out about it by accident tonight, 12 hours before I fly to NYC. I checked the Cunard site and didn't see anything. What's wrong with this picture?

Hi Francophile. How did you find out about the delay?

I have to say that the CC board is incredibly informative; but honestly, not everyone who has purchased passage even knows about CC or is online. That's why I'm concerned that Cunard/Carnival hasn't informed anyone.

Of course, I'm sure the captain, depending on sea conditions, will be racing to arrive in Red Hook as close to on-time as he can safely do.

I have to say that the CC board is incredibly informative; but honestly, not everyone who has purchased passage even knows about CC or is online. That's why I'm concerned that Cunard/Carnival hasn't informed anyone.

Of course, I'm sure the captain, depending on sea conditions, will be racing to arrive in Red Hook as close to on-time as he can safely do.

Hi Francophile. I understand your concerns. Perhaps a passenger on board will tell us what the "captain's log" shows as the current ship speed/position. Regards, Salacia

I fly out in 4 hours time,and only heard of the delay here-please can anyone "in the know" update on here? I have no faith in Cunard contacting us....thank you!

Hi QM2 fan. Hopefully by the time you land in NY, the boarding situation will be clarified. If it turns out that you have a few extra hours in Brooklyn, there is much to do there on a Sunday afternoon, even if it is raining:) Suggestions available upon request :)

Isn't it wonderful of those passengers on board now who have taken the time to post updates here in an effort to keep us informed. Really nice, considerate people.

Have a good flight.

Salacia

Hi passengers sailing on the 12 Sept Crossing. If your embarkation is delayed on Sunday here are some suggestions for a rainy Sunday afternoon in Brooklyn, all of which are a 15minute or less cab ride from the Red Hook Terminal:

Visit the Brooklyn Museum

Hours- 11am-6pm

website http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/

See a movie at the Brooklyn Heights Cinema (approx 10 min cab ride from the terminal)

website http://www.brooklynheightscinema.com/showtimes.html

Train enthusiasts might enjoy the Transit Museum http://mta.info/mta/museum/index.html

Passengers with young children, check out the Brooklyn Children's Museum

website http://www.brooklynkids.org/

Of course, there are many more options, and several posters here know Brooklyn very well. So please feel free to ask if you have any special interests.

Regards,

Salacia

Has anyone experienced a delay like this before?

-CDN

Yes, but not with Cunard, though I don't imagine the important points are too unalike.

Expect chaos in the parking area and departure lounge - eventually, every departing passenger will be in there and they are not geared up for this. Eat before you arrive - food will be minimal at best.

Perhaps eat in the buffet on the first evening - our experience was that by the time everyone had boarded and luggage had arrived, it was so late that the thought of dressing up and heading for the main dining room had lost its appeal.

Study your fellow passengers, identify the moaners (and we had a few real professionals) and you are one step ahead for the rest of the voyage...

Mary

At the moment we are bombing along and thank god for calm seas, I'm sure this is assisting the ship in a quicker return to Red Hook.

It's now 8 am Saturday and we are pushing 26 knots. The predicted time of arrival according to the ships log is 12 mid day on Sunday. We are currently just passing Nova Scotia/Halifax.

Yesterday was mad both in the concierge lounge and at the pursers desk.

My advice to people arriving is that the last thing you want to be doing is hanging around the terminal which has to be one of the most boring departure lounges so if possible take the opportunity to see some of NY - perhaps they will provide a shuttle bus to take people into NY - although I imagine that they will not want too much of a delay in departing and will be working flat out on board to stick as near as dam it to the original departure time. It will be interesting to see what happens. I'll update you more as I hear anything.

Cheers

Penny

It's now 8 am Saturday and we are pushing 26 knots. The predicted time of arrival according to the ships log is 12 mid day on Sunday. We are currently just passing Nova Scotia/Halifax.

Halifax to New York is about 600 nautical miles - at 26 knots that's 23 hours steaming.....so you may get there ahead of noon....(depending on actual distance to sail)

You bet! I suspect that you'll be grateful once Sunday's over!

Has anyone experienced a delay like this before?

Yes, on several occasions with Cunard! (I'm not blaming Cunard - it's just that I've spent quite a lot of time on their ships and have experienced all sorts of problems! The two most memorable were our arrival into NY being delayed by eight hours because of bad weather and returning from the WC and being unable to disembark for four hours because the gangway wouldn't fasten properly!)

Should those of us boarding honour our current assigned times

My advice is only good until you make contact with Cunard; then you should follow their advice.

To answer your first question - yes, turn up as normal - Cunard will be expecting you.

will everything most likely be pushed back to accommodate a late arrival and repairs?

More than likely:rolleyes:

Cunard will have to make amends...upgrades to the Princess Grill for all! :D

Don't bank on it :( Cunard did provide free drink for all when we were delayed into NY but that was in the days of Cunard proper and pre Carnival. After the WC we just had to hang about the ship for four hours without even a cup of tea!

-CDN

Our biggest delay was on our first crossing on QE2 in 1973. In those days, same-day turnarounds were rare.The ship was due to arrive in Southampton the afternoon before our scheduled departure time of 11:30 a.m. The delay was caused by engine problems in New York and the QE2 arrived in Southampton about 9:00 a.m. instead of the day before. Our travel agent got an urgent message and was able to contact us at our Southampton Hotel (the Dolphin.) We were told that embarkation would commence at 9:00 p.m. but we could arrive at the pier - the beautiful art deco Ocean Terminal - any time and drop off the luggage. Snacks would be served from the buffet all day and various coach tours were provided. Not being fans of bus travel we went into London for the day, using our first class Britrail passes which conveniently had that one day left on them.

It was amusing that we were told that the late embarkation of 9:00 p.m. was due to the fact that the last passenger wouldn't disembark until 11:00 to 11:30 a.m. (On our most recent crossing on QM2 this May the last passenger walked off the ship about 11:25 and we boarded at 12:00 noon.) Being in Tourist Class we did not have any priority embarkation, but it was handled very well and we boarded the ship at 9:00 p.m. as promised. At one time there was no need to swipe a credit card or have a photo taken, so embarkation was quick: one person glanced at the passports and another simply took the ticket and you walked up the gangway. A late supper was served starting at 9:30 and we sailed just after midnight - so we were told - we were sound asleep. We arrived in New York on time, four mornings later, on what was our fastest Atlantic crossing.

Archived