Queen Mary 2 delay

bobby1119

where the bodies were stored

We did get the one about how many had died but there was silence about where the bodies were kept. The only statement on that subject comes from a friend who was an officer aboard in QE2's better days - he assured me that the doctor used to keep his beer cold by storing it in the morgue and got annoyed when the morgue became too full to allow him to continue! This friend is usually very reliable on things QE2 related so I think that it was truth rather than rumour :0

Hey James, tell your friend to buck up. You seen one castle....

G.

You know, Gari, I believe I spotted his friend on a bus in Quebec City right in front of the Chateau. He was easy to spot with his little black French beret popped smartly on his head and his little mustache twitching with each minute that went by. No wonder he felt so compelled to send that as his first photo. He had over an hour to look at nothing but the famous Chateau from a bus window. It seems that Quebec City's best was putting up a banner that spanned the street. That street seemed to be the only one that the buses could use. And there were many buses with lots of visitors that would leave Quebec City with the Chateau permanently etched upon their minds. And a wonderful job they did with all their equipment in tow, a cement mixer, lots of cement, a back hoe, a crane, and a host of hard hatted men, as well as many members of Quebec City's Health and Safety. And they went about their task with a heck of a lot of gusto and arrogance eventually placing their little plasticy banner from one side of the street to another.

By the way, come to think of it, just as we were pulling out some 75 minutes later I saw a little black beret flying from the bus toward the little plasticy sign that announced the upcoming bicycle race! I bet it was his friend's.

...he assured me that the doctor used to keep his beer cold by storing it in the morgue and got annoyed when the morgue became too full to allow him to continue!

Well, that certainly gives new meaning to the old phrase, "having a cold one!"

Hi Cruachan. Great shot! I particularly enjoyed the unusual vantage point with the undeveloped Governors Island in the foreground---an interesting contrast with the more modern skyline in the background.

BTW, I hope your friend takes subsequent photos from that position over the next few years as the new construction plans for Governors Island alters the view.

Hope your friend is enjoying his voyage.:)

Regards,

Salacia

It's dark :mad: You can't see much :p

Couldn't you at least have arranged some floodlights? :D

No worries pnhmrk. In a year or two, Governors Island will be as bright as like Lunar Park*.

Time it was, and what a time it was, it was

A time of innocence, a time of confidences

Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph

Preserve your memories; they're all that's left you - Paul Simon

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luna_Park,_Coney_Island

Not if New Yorkers had any say! Things don't happen fast here, just look at Ground Zero.

Boytjie, You don't think things happen fast here? Oy, I grew up in NYC...lived in 3 boroughs...seems like things happen fast to me, but what do I know?

About the other reference, I have no comment.

Boytjie, You don't think things happen fast here? Oy, I grew up in NYC...lived in 3 boroughs...seems like things happen fast to me, but what do I know?

Salacia, Boytjie may have a point.Consider that the Empire State Building was built in only 13 months back in 1930-1931, while at the World Trade Center site it seems to take forever to build the new 1 World Trade Center aka the Freedom Tower. Regards,Jerry

Salacia, Boytjie may have a point.Consider that the Empire State Building was built in only 13 months back in 1930-1931, while at the World Trade Center site it seems to take forever to build the new 1 World Trade Center aka the Freedom Tower. Regards,Jerry

While the rat race is alive and well in New York City, changing things can take forever. The Governor's Island issue has been kicked around for years! The Federal Government sold it in 2003 to New York State for $1 and they couldn't agree what to do with it so they sold it to the city in 2010 for $1. There has been proposal on what to do with it, but no final plans exists AFAIK.

What is nice is that it is open to the public and worh a visit.

I just recently went through a stack of old New Yorkers and remember the following article--partly because it showed the QM2 at Pier 12--here: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/08/31/090831fa_fact_paumgarten

There is also a short video here: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2009/08/video-tour-governors-island.html

The website for the island is here: http://www.govisland.com/html/home/home.shtml

I see on the webcam that she's safely docked in Southampton. All's well that ends well. :) Cheers, Salacia

There never was much of a problem on the (9/3/10) cruise to Canada on the QM2. Initially, Hurricane Earl was heading up the east coast of the US toward New York City and the northeast coast of the US, so the ship stayed docked overnight at Red Hook as a precaution instead of heading out on September 3 and taking any chances of putting the ship in harm's way. Early the next morning, the QM2 headed straight to Boston instead of stopping at Newport due to time contraints. In Quebec City while at dock, there was a power outage of short duration, which was repaired quickly. Then there was a relatively short delay in order to wait for a high tide to begin her journey back to New York. I believe that there never was anything more than the sort of thing that is an everyday occurrence on most ship's voyages. At all times during the cruise, everything was expertly handled with caution and care with both the ship and its passengers welfare foremost in mind. I am most impressed with the way everything was handled. It is lovely to know that when you sail on a Cunard ship that you are in such capable hands.

Archived