Queen Mary 2 delay

bobby1119

Hubby and I actually witnessed the fire/smoke coming from the bow of the ship - thereafter followed the black out. The ship was also listing quite remarkably in the evening while on board as evidenced while lying in the bath :D

I can't understand the rumours about the delay in leaving Red Hook as this was clearly explained time and time again (because of Hurricane Earl) to all passengers over the tannoy.

I personally was happy to be delayed in Quebec as the view off the side of the ship was beautiful - especially Chateau Frontenac - so it was a bonus for us.

I thought that personally all situations were handled beautifully by all on board and would have no problems sailing with Cunard again. It was all very professional.

Hubby and I actually witnessed the fire/smoke coming from the bow of the ship - thereafter followed the black out. The ship was also listing quite remarkably in the evening while on board as evidenced while lying in the bath :D

I can't understand the rumours about the delay in leaving Red Hook as this was clearly explained time and time again (because of Hurricane Earl) to all passengers over the tannoy.

I personally was happy to be delayed in Quebec as the view off the side of the ship was beautiful - especially Chateau Frontenac - so it was a bonus for us.

I thought that personally all situations were handled beautifully by all on board and would have no problems sailing with Cunard again. It was all very professional.

I absolutely agree, Penny. I also witnessed a platoon of men running through the Britannia Dining Room toward the galley during dinner one evening. Afterward we were told that it was an appliance that had over heated.

And I know that it was clearly explained, however, there are always some passengers that must believe, for whatever reason, that there is something other than an explanation as simple as a Hurricane.:)

Gail

--------------------------------------------------

I agree. Although many were very sad to miss Newport, it was a small price to pay for such beautiful weather after the storm passed. And having an extra "sea day" was delightful -- especially at the beginning of the trip. They put on a full program, so additional RADA sessions, and talks by the two main speakers, who were excellent and very well attended.

Many enjoyed the unexpected late sailing from NY (5 am, with a 3 am all aboard), and Cunard ran a shuttle back and forth into Manhattan so people could have a real visit there, if desired. Also, a tidbit from the Commodore, when the ship did sail at 5 am, tugs were called in to assist as the QM2 could not pull herself off the pier (was acting as a big sail keeping her tight to the pier). He said this was truly unusual. Missed seeing it as I was blissfully asleep in my stateroom.

The extra few hours in Quebec resulted in a lovely late sailing, as mentioned by Penny, and an unexpectedly civilized arrival in NY, with both breakfast and lunch available (including RS for breakfast if desired), and a pleasant if overcast morning sail in to NYC (with Ray Rouse providing commentary for those on deck, or listening from their balconys). There certainly were people who were inconvenienced, paritcularly those who had early flights planned, and thus needed changing, and probably a good many of those arriving unawares for the next TA, not knowing of the delay in boarding. Most of the people I met had already planned later flights in the day, not cutting it close, and so may have missed a city tour, but still had no problem connecting with their originally booked flight.

From what I could see, things seemed extremely well handled by Cunard, at least on board, with an appropriate amount of information communicated/updated when there was something to communicate, but minimal speculation.

All in all, a really lovely trip. :)

My friend on board tells me he also noticed the list but, being steerage, he was only aware of it because the water was coming out of the shower at a funny angle.

He also agrees about the delay in Quebec which allowed him to get this night shot of the Chateau Frontenac which he has asked me to post.

J

DSC3950_chateau_frontenace.jpg

My friend on board tells me he also noticed the list but, being steerage, he was only aware of it because the water was coming out of the shower at a funny angle.

He also agrees about the delay in Quebec which allowed him to get this night shot of the Chateau Frontenac which he has asked me to post.

J

Oops, wasn't meant that way - perhaps I should have said water in the sink :D

Hey, I live in Bermuda where baths are a real treat due to a real lack of water and the size of the bath in our house makes the QM2 ones look positively HUGE, so I have to say, that yes, I did over indulge on the baths, I looked positively prunish every night - but it was worth every $$$!;)

Oops, wasn't meant that way - perhaps I should have said water in the sink :D

Hey, I live in Bermuda where baths are a real treat due to a real lack of water and the size of the bath in our house makes the QM2 ones look positively HUGE, so I have to say, that yes, I did over indulge on the baths, I looked positively prunish every night - but it was worth every $$$!;)

Well, I really wish I could travel on QM2. Maybe my friend on board will send me some pics of the interior - who knows?

J

J

Nice shot Jimmy! Are you sure that your alter ego isn't on board QM2? ;)

You don't have to sail with the toffs to get a bath, though! HAL ships tend to have small shower/tubs but the best ever, has to be the Fred Olsen, Black Watch. She has full sized metal baths, in standard ocean view cabins. Absolute luxury! You would be hard pressed to find such a thing in a house nowadays.

Hi Pnhmrk,

Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread, just wanted to say that we just noticed you are from York, and we love that City, it is very pretty. I remember having afternoon tea in a tea house on the corner in the city centre and going to a great pub underneath ground (looked like cellars). Anyway, just wanted to mention lovely city! :D

J

Cruachan, beautiful photo, thank you for sharing this :)

Gail - Are you sure you weren't on the Final World Cruise of the QE2? Just before her penultimate call in New York? We had all sorts of electrical problems then and the rumours you mention sound very familiar! (Except for the one about her pods :D )

Malcolm, surely you must also have had the rumours as to:-

(a) how many people died in the course of the cruise, and where the bodies were stored;

(b) how many people were requested to leave the cruise after one or two ports as the ship is not a nursing home where relatives can dump their infirm family members.

As to (a), I also remember the rumour that the florist was relieved of his cool-store area when the mortuary overflowed.

Louise

Archived