Queen Mary 2 delay

bobby1119

Just spoke with a Cunard rep. They have extra bodies in the office today and are doing a call-out to ass passengers around 0830 (PT) with an update. From what I understand, the ship is due around noon on the 12th, though they are hopeful for earlier.

Many thanks to all for the advice. Fortunately, we arrived in NYC yesterday with the express purpose of enjoying the city before boarding, so we are not bound by the same timing constraints as those taking flights and such. Am still banking on the PG upgrade, though :p.

Difficulties boarding or not, I have this funny feeling all will be forgotten by Day 2 on the Atlantic!

-CDN

Halifax to New York is about 600 nautical miles - at 26 knots that's 23 hours steaming.....so you may get there ahead of noon....(depending on actual distance to sail)

Hi Guernseyguy. I understand what you're saying about the speed and distance, but I'm wondering about the tides once the ship reaches NY harbor. If she's behind schedule and the tides have changed, might not that also effect docking? (At least that's what we were told once on board QM2 when disembarkation was delayed.)

Cheers,

Salacia

I'm wondering about the tides once the ship reaches NY harbor. If she's behind schedule and the tides have changed, might not that also effect docking? (At least that's what we were told once on board QM2 when disembarkation was delayed.)

I don't know - but since she docks at 06.00 after every crossing - when the tides must vary throughout the year - I would have thought she could dock more or less when she liked. Checking NY tides tomorrow, low water is at 04.54 and 17.27 - both very close to her original scheduled arrival and departure times. If she does dock around 12.00 that's just after high tide at 11.30 - so the Verrazano Narrows Bridge will be 6 feet closer!

Peter

Thanks also for the updates live from the ship: wonderful!

My personal opinion would be if Bernie can make 26 knots they can make up more time but they don't want to get everyone hopes up already: but I am not looking at the exact position etc: maybe someone else can do that and let us know later.

Main advice seconded: Stay Away from the Moaners!

David enjoying New York

The captain has just confirmed on his noon PA announcement that our arrival time is NYC will be around noon, sligtly before...if all goes well.

The tide does not seem to be a problem, fortunately we had booked late and our flight out of New York is at 7.30 PM. No worry but other passengers do have missed flights problems.

The captain has just confirmed on his noon PA announcement that our arrival time is NYC will be around noon, sligtly before...if all goes well.

The tide does not seem to be a problem, fortunately we had booked late and our flight out of New York is at 7.30 PM. No worry but other passengers do have missed flights problems.

Hi happyglobetrotter. Thanks for the update. I'm glad you won't have any problems with your flight home. Best of luck to all concerned. -Salacia

I don't know - but since she docks at 06.00 after every crossing - when the tides must vary throughout the year - I would have thought she could dock more or less when she liked. Checking NY tides tomorrow, low water is at 04.54 and 17.27 - both very close to her original scheduled arrival and departure times. If she does dock around 12.00 that's just after high tide at 11.30 - so the Verrazano Narrows Bridge will be 6 feet closer!

Peter

In that case, I'll make it a point to stay off the Verrazano Bridge tomorrow afternoon :)

Be vigilant......I was to sail 16 September 2001 in QE2 NYC- Southampton... I live downtown Manhattan & was packing when the planes hit the WTC. On 13 September when some shock wore off I contacted Cunard & said I would not be sailing being that the events of 9/11 & the fact that I lived in a FROZEN ZONE. Cunards response was could I get to 53rd St & they would bus me up to Boston....I could not believe it....they could not guarantee anything(nor could anyone else) & the bottom line was they dropped the ball big time...

After a 9 moth period I did secure a credit( actually AMEX did most of that work).

I did forgive but have not forgotten....

bQUOTE=Francophile;26024985]I'm quite surprised that Cunard has not informed those of us who are departing on Sunday of the delay. I only found out about it by accident tonight, 12 hours before I fly to NYC. I checked the Cunard site and didn't see anything. What's wrong with this picture?

Has anyone experienced a delay like this before?

-CDN

QE2 used to have power failures from time-to-time especially in the steam days. However, there were some in the diesel electric days as well. One time, some software malfunction kept turning the engines off. It left us bobbing around in the dark in the Atalntic with a storm approaching. Those sort of things make the voyage more interesting.

Just spoke with a Cunard rep. They have extra bodies in the office today and are doing a call-out to ass passengers around 0830 (PT) with an update.

-CDN

How about the rest of the passengers? Do they not get a call too? :p;):D

....sorry! :o

Anyone disembarking QM2 in NYC tomorrow may wish to be aware that there is a serious mixed message in the daily program for tomorrow.

The section headed "Times to Note: Sail in to NYC", gives the impression that the ship will berth at Pier #88, Manhattan but the "Arrival in New York" section states that she will berth at Red Hook.

The pursers have confirmed that the true arrival berth is Red Hook.

Info just received from a friend on board.

J

How about the rest of the passengers? Do they not get a call too? :p;):D

....sorry! :o

Nah, they're trying out a new 'telephone game' message service. I'm supposed to call the next passenger, then he the next, and so on and so on to see with what kind of message we will finally receive. By the end, it should sound something like "QM2 embarkation will be delayed Sunday purple monkey dishwasher" :D

-CDN

Nah, they're trying out a new 'telephone game' message service. I'm supposed to call the next passenger, then he the next, and so on and so on to see with what kind of message we will finally receive. By the end, it should sound something like "QM2 embarkation will be delayed Sunday purple monkey dishwasher" :D

-CDN

The telephone message service will only work for passengers who have advised Cunard of their location immediately prior to boarding. I have friends who have travelled from Australia and are now staying in a hotel in New York, and have not heard from Cunard. The only way they heard about this delay is by me reading these boards and frantically telephoning and emailing them. When they telephoned Cunard in California to get the latest news, they were told to go to Red Hook at the time specified on their tickets. That does not seem right to me, if the boarding is not expected to commence before 4pm. Another problem is that these friends have never been on Cunard before, so I really hope that their first experience is not going to be dreadful!

Louise

Archived