Queen Mary 2 delay

bobby1119

To The Real PM:

Re your quote: "In Quebec City while at dock, there was a power outage of short duration, which was repaired quickly. Then there was a relatively short delay in order to wait for a high tide to begin her journey back to New York. I believe that there never was anything more than the sort of thing that is an everyday occurrence on most ship's voyages."

We sailed on the September 3rd cruise, and for the most part, really enjoyed the cruise. We were also on board the ship when the power went out while docked in Quebec. The power did come back on within 30 minutes. However, when we departed 5+ hours late from Quebec, the passengers were never told the reason for the delay. My husband and I (and others) speculated that the delay may have something to do with the power outage earlier in the day. You mention that the delay was caused by waiting for a high tide. Where did you get your information? It would have been reassuring to the passengers to know the exact reason for the delay, instead of people wondering all sorts of things about the mechanical/electrical problems of the ship. I went to the planetarium show the day following the power outage (a sea day) and the planetarium had to close down due to technical/electrical difficulties. Some passengers thought that the electrical problems from the day before were continuing and it gave some people concerns about the ship's electrical systems in general. Many people were affected by the delay, e.g., having to re-schedule flights and car services, etc.

To receive no definitive answer about the cause of the delay from the Commodore/Captain (or from the crew at the Purser's Desk) led to all kinds of speculation. The Commodore made 2 vague announcements regarding the delay - at around 6:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. - but then the ship just left Quebec around midnight without informing passengers what the situation was. Although Cunard did allow passengers some free phone time and internet time to make changes, people would have liked to know the reason for the delay.

My DH and I have been on over 20 cruises and we have never arrived hours late in port, causing passengers to change their travel plans. It is not an "everyday occurence" for ships to arrive hours late.

Actually, waiting for the high tide in Quebec would have meant waiting until 7:52 AM the next day.

The planned departure was pretty close to high tide (@ 7:29 PM on 9/9) and from then it was ebb tide until low tide at 2:54 AM on the 10th. So the eventual time of departure was actually pretty close to low tide.

http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/locations/5195.html?y=2010&m=9&d=9

The official announcement from the bridge said that the delay was due to a 'technical problem' and I think that reference was made to the electrical problem earlier that day.

It was very upsetting for many passengers who were delayed and as a result missed their flights and from chat in the computer rooms, the level of assistance from Cunard varied according to whether the flight connections were booked through Cunard or not and the cost of and slowness of computer connections also added to some passengers' frustrations.

The official announcement from the bridge said that the delay was due to a 'technical problem' and I think that reference was made to the electrical problem earlier that day.

It was very upsetting for many passengers who were delayed and as a result missed their flights and from chat in the computer rooms, the level of assistance from Cunard varied according to whether the flight connections were booked through Cunard or not and the cost of and slowness of computer connections also added to some passengers' frustrations.

Heywood, When did you board? I seem to remember Aug. 18 which would mean we were on the ship at the same time.

i am waiting to see her leave, there was a boat train goping from scotland. wonder how she went into soton are there rails into 106.

dave

TRAIN services were delayed or cancelled on Monday evening after a freight train accident.

Services were hit after a track fault caused a low-speed derailment at 3.20pm near Redbridge in the west of Southampton.

Commuters faced delays of up to 40 minutes as buses were put on between Southampton Airport and Bournemouth, and between Southampton and Brockenhurst.

Thousands of people were delayed – between 4pm and 6pm there were eight cancelled services from Southampton to Bournemouth alone.

A Network Rail spokesman said the line reopened at 6.35pm although services were still disrupted afterwards.

Freight operators DB Schenker said the accident involved a 37-wagon service carrying track maintenance equipment from Eastleigh to Westborough.

Heywood, When did you board? I seem to remember Aug. 18 which would mean we were on the ship at the same time.

Hi,

we boarded 28th August and disembarked today after a wonderful time. We can't (and wouldn't want to) think of any negatives at all. I do sympathise with those who were affected by the delay into NY but for us personally it made no difference. It was all truly excellent. :)

Actually, waiting for the high tide in Quebec would have meant waiting until 7:52 AM the next day.

The planned departure was pretty close to high tide (@ 7:29 PM on 9/9) and from then it was ebb tide until low tide at 2:54 AM on the 10th. So the eventual time of departure was actually pretty close to low tide.

http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/locations/5195.html?y=2010&m=9&d=9

I initially got my information from a Quebec City resident who said,

I strongly suspect the 'technical circumstances' had to do with tides. As the QM2 was docked starboard side, she had to do a U-turn in the river in order to sail back to NY. I've seen that maneuver, and she gets awfully close to the shore; if I were the captain, I wouldn't want to try this in low tide conditions…”

And this is what I said:

“Then there was a relatively short delay in order to wait for a high tide to begin her journey back to New York.”

I do not claim to be an expert, I think that the expertise should be left to those who are experts about navigation, such as the Commodore and his crew. I am sure there is very much more that goes into navigating a large ship out of Quebec City than just the tide. What I meant was that the ship had to wait until the next high tide in order to consider maneuvering the QM2. For instance, the following I am sure comes into play along with a host of other bits of information in order to exit Quebec City safely.

“At Quebec City, the tidal range is 17 feet. When the wind comes from the East or North East (contrary to normal winds), it makes for big waves when opposing that strong and receding tidal stream. “

I initially got my information from a Quebec City resident who said,

I strongly suspect the 'technical circumstances' had to do with tides. As the QM2 was docked starboard side, she had to do a U-turn in the river in order to sail back to NY. I've seen that maneuver, and she gets awfully close to the shore; if I were the captain, I wouldn't want to try this in low tide conditions…”

And this is what I said:

“Then there was a relatively short delay in order to wait for a high tide to begin her journey back to New York.”

I do not claim to be an expert, I think that the expertise should be left to those who are experts about navigation, such as the Commodore and his crew. I am sure there is very much more that goes into navigating a large ship out of Quebec City than just the tide. What I meant was that the ship had to wait until the next high tide in order to consider maneuvering the QM2. For instance, the following I am sure comes into play along with a host of other bits of information in order to exit Quebec City safely.

“At Quebec City, the tidal range is 17 feet. When the wind comes from the East or North East (contrary to normal winds), it makes for big waves when opposing that strong and receding tidal stream. “

My husband who worked at Transport Canada (ports) for many years says that the port of Québec always has enough water for the QM2 to maneuver, it is 41 feet at low tide right in the port and a ship like QM draws about 30 or 31 so even at low tide, there was enough water for us.

Further away from the port, there is a section of the St-Laurent that goes down to 35 feet, mais again, this is deep enough for QM2.

There was no excessive wind when we were in Québec city.

The problem was technical and had to do with resetting ALL the systems aboard before sailing away.

You will remember that the following day the Illuminations (panetarium) was still non functional and we had to wait even longer before being able to attend another show. The crew and officers resetted all the 'important' stuff first.

Further away from the port, there is a section of the St-Laurent that goes down to 35 feet, mais again, this is deep enough for QM2.

That's getting close, taking squat into account.

The problem was technical and had to do with resetting ALL the systems aboard before sailing away.

You will remember that the following day the Illuminations (panetarium) was still non functional and we had to wait even longer before being able to attend another show. The crew and officers resetted all the 'important' stuff first.

How do you know this? I mean know for certain? Unless you have the ear of a senior officer then you are merely guessing. Your guess may well be based on experience and be interesting, but ultimately that is what it is - a guess.

Please don't take offence - none is meant. But you know how rumours spread......

That's getting close, taking squat into account.

How do you know this? I mean know for certain? Unless you have the ear of a senior officer then you are merely guessing. Your guess may well be based on experience and be interesting, but ultimately that is what it is - a guess.

Please don't take offence - none is meant. But you know how rumours spread......

It is 35 feet at the lowest tide. Not all the time.The other poster was right, there is 17 feet tides in the port of Quebec.

I was on the ship when the power failure occurred. I sat next to one officier at dinner, and this is what I was told. I leave it to you to determine if officiers are part of the rumor spreading people on a ship.

No offence either ! ;)

To Happy Globe Trotter:

Since you sat next to one of the ship's officers, please provide the definitive answer as to what caused the delay (so that we don't have to re-read 9 pages on these boards). It would have been nice to be informed while on board to avoid all the speculation. We enjoyed this cruise despite the late arrival in port, but we didn't need the uncertainty.

To Happy Globe Trotter:

Since you sat next to one of the ship's officers, please provide the definitive answer as to what caused the delay (so that we don't have to re-read 9 pages on these boards). It would have been nice to be informed while on board to avoid all the speculation. We enjoyed this cruise despite the late arrival in port, but we didn't need the uncertainty.

My thoughts are that it is not a passeneger's God given right to know all that goes on behind the scenes. Does it really matter what the technical circimstances were? If you knew, do you you really think it would have put you at ease? And had there been a general announcement are you sure that the majority of passengers would have been put at ease--or is it possible that some would have panicked just because the technicalities had been shared by those in charge. I am not sure it says anything, anywhere in the Cunard literature that the passenger has the right to be apprised of the behind the scenes technicalities. We got back to Red Hook safe and sound so I don't quite understand your need to know. I believe that everything was handled perfectly by those in charge without any of our help!

My thoughts are that it is not a passeneger's God given right to know all that goes on behind the scenes. Does it really matter what the technical circimstances were? If you knew, do you you really think it would have put you at ease? !

Gail, well said. This thread has dragged on long enough.

My thoughts are that it is not a passeneger's God given right to know all that goes on behind the scenes. Does it really matter what the technical circimstances were?
I agree. That's why the all-crew emergency calls refer to "Assessment Team" without the use of "casualty", "crisis" "emergency" or words of that type. During the last formal dinner there was some sort of issue where the Assessment Team was called to the galley. Dinner continued and the issue was addresssed with most passengers unaware (but I did notice several officers rushing through the dining room toward the galley).

I agree. That's why the all-crew emergency calls refer to "Assessment Team" without the use of "casualty", "crisis" "emergency" or words of that type. During the last formal dinner there was some sort of issue where the Assessment Team was called to the galley. Dinner continued and the issue was addresssed with most passengers unaware (but I did notice several officers rushing through the dining room toward the galley).

Yes, I watched them rush through as well. It is nice to know that there is such a quick response team. And I suppose that you heard what the problem was there as well?

Archived