Is it possible to bring a case of wine on board

It is a good question, especially when it comes to Princess. Technically they will allow you to bring a reasonable amount of wine aboard but this is often published as 2 bottles per person. However, we cruise Princess quite often (are Elite with them) and have actually seen folks bring aboard full cases which they will tag and have brought aboard as checked luggage. The reason I mention this is that we always thought they were crazy to give a case of good wine to a longshoreman and trust that it will show-up in their cabin (we later met one of these folks and they said they did get their case with no problem). We oursleves will usually bring about 6 bottles which we carry in a large backpack and bring aboard as carry-on. Its never been an issue going thought security at the port.

Hank

I know on HAL you are only allowed two bottles and that is only allowed at the embarkation port.

Where did you get that impression? HAL will allow you to bring on any quantity you want (we brought on 6 bottles on our last cruise), and there certainly was no restriction re: bringing on wine in port.

It is cruise line dependent. You should be able to go to the Princess web site and get an answer. I know on HAL you are only allowed two bottles and that is only allowed at the embarkation port.

Kirk

Not so. On HAL you can bring on as much wine and champagne as you like, at embarkation or any port.

We are going on the island princess in November, anyone have any suggestions, It seemed to be frowned upon on our last cruise?

Short answer, NO. Princess policy is quoted below, but only one bottle per person is allowed.

"We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages (other than wine and/or champagne) onboard for consumption.

Alcoholic beverages sourced from shore-side and brought onboard, no matter where sourced, will be collected at the gangway for safekeeping and will be delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the last day of the cruise.

A member of the ship's security staff will be at the gangway to assist passengers with the storage of their alcoholic beverage purchases. The only exception to the above rule, is that passengers are permitted to bring one bottle of wine and/or champagne per person purchased in a shoreside location onboard. If the wine and/or champagne is brought to the dining room for consumption, a $15.00 per bottle corkage fee will be applied to the passenger's shipboard account. We prefer that passengers bring wine/champagne no larger than 750ml, however, magnums are acceptable. Wine in a box is not encouraged.

Passengers are also permitted to consume the wine and/or champagne in the privacy of their stateroom only, but it may not be brought into any public lounge for consumption.

Please note that any wines and champagnes supplied from the ship's stock to passengers would not be subject to a corkage fee."

Cheers,

Short answer, NO. Princess policy is quoted below, but only one bottle per person is allowed.

"We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages (other than wine and/or champagne) onboard for consumption.

Alcoholic beverages sourced from shore-side and brought onboard, no matter where sourced, will be collected at the gangway for safekeeping and will be delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the last day of the cruise.

A member of the ship's security staff will be at the gangway to assist passengers with the storage of their alcoholic beverage purchases. The only exception to the above rule, is that passengers are permitted to bring one bottle of wine and/or champagne per person purchased in a shoreside location onboard. If the wine and/or champagne is brought to the dining room for consumption, a $15.00 per bottle corkage fee will be applied to the passenger's shipboard account. We prefer that passengers bring wine/champagne no larger than 750ml, however, magnums are acceptable. Wine in a box is not encouraged.

Passengers are also permitted to consume the wine and/or champagne in the privacy of their stateroom only, but it may not be brought into any public lounge for consumption.

Please note that any wines and champagnes supplied from the ship's stock to passengers would not be subject to a corkage fee."

Cheers,

Check the contract in the cruise personalizer. As someone pointed out to me two days ago, the quanity wording has been removed from the contract. It clearly states that you can bring on wine and champagne and not just one bottle. Planning on bringing a case myself on the Crown Princess in December.

I was on the Ruby in February. I had gone to Total Wines and bought 10 bottles of wine for a 10 day cruise. They gave me a used shipping box that had come from a winery so it was well marked. I put the wine in the box, taped it shut and put my luggage tag on top. I gave it to the luggage handlers along with my luggage and it all appeared later in my stateroom. No problems were encountered and we enjoyed a bottle of wine every night on our balcony before dinner.

Archived