LIVE from the Sapphire - 33 days from Seattle to Sydney

Pia1913

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]Sunday morning and getting warmer by the minute. In fact, last night at 8:00 PM it was 76 degrees. Now at 8:00 AM it’s balmy with a slight breeze. [/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]There’s something new going on in the mornings; started yesterday and now another one today. It’s called Fastest Sudoku and it’s a timed puzzle event; first one to finish correctly gets a prize. I walked in late yesterday so don’t really know what was won, but the winner completed her puzzle in 9 minutes. Kwik Quiz continues; I am probably already out of it, but persevere I will. [/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I] [/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]There are a whole lot of lectures scheduled for today. Another on Oceanography, the ventriloquist Don Bryan is talking about his 35 years of ventriloquism, a port talk about Maui, another Golden Days of Radio lecture and another on Kilauea Iki Crater: The World’s highest volcano. [/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]The movie scheduled for today is The Bounty Hunter with Gerard Butler and Jennifer Anniston. Isn’t that when they became a couple? Anyhow, the movie is being shown 3 times; 10 AM, 2 PM and 10 PM. [/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]Also on today’s agenda is a martini demo and a tropical rum tasting and raffle. We of course will be attending the complimentary wine tasting at 3:00 PM. I wonder if the wine presentation will change from our last cruise. I wonder why they always seem to show the same ones. [/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]Tonight’s entertainment is not changing; the piano player is back again in the theater and the ventriloquist is still hanging out in Explorer’s. I must assume that both will be disembarking in Honolulu tomorrow. We will probably watch the movie Leap Year in our cabin. We did see Green Zone last night; pretty political, so won’t comment except to say that we were glad we saw it. [/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]Sitting here again in Horizon Ct and it’s now time for breakfast. Will try to find out about photo journal. And Tim, I will make the attempt to find your parents.[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

Hi Pia,
Thank you so much for your on going review. I'm enjoying it very much. If you do ever see people in cabin C104 might you ask them how they like the room, and if they have a wet bar in it? I've been trying to find out for sometime on these boards, and it doesn't seem like a very popular room.

Enjoy your cruise, and we are looking forward to your next check-in!

Suzie :cool:

[quote name='Pia1913'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]Sunday morning and getting warmer by the minute. In fact, last night at 8:00 PM it was 76 degrees. Now at 8:00 AM it’s balmy with a slight breeze. [/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]There’s something new going on in the mornings; started yesterday and now another one today. It’s called Fastest Sudoku and it’s a timed puzzle event; first one to finish correctly gets a prize. I walked in late yesterday so don’t really know what was won, but the winner completed her puzzle in 9 minutes. Kwik Quiz continues; I am probably already out of it, but persevere I will. [/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]There are a whole lot of lectures scheduled for today. Another on Oceanography, the ventriloquist Don Bryan is talking about his 35 years of ventriloquism, a port talk about Maui, another Golden Days of Radio lecture and another on Kilauea Iki Crater: The World’s highest volcano. [/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]The movie scheduled for today is The Bounty Hunter with Gerard Butler and Jennifer Anniston. Isn’t that when they became a couple? Anyhow, the movie is being shown 3 times; 10 AM, 2 PM and 10 PM. [/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]Also on today’s agenda is a martini demo and a tropical rum tasting and raffle. We of course will be attending the complimentary wine tasting at 3:00 PM. I wonder if the wine presentation will change from our last cruise. I wonder why they always seem to show the same ones. [/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]Tonight’s entertainment is not changing; the piano player is back again in the theater and the ventriloquist is still hanging out in Explorer’s. I must assume that both will be disembarking in Honolulu tomorrow. We will probably watch the movie Leap Year in our cabin. We did see Green Zone last night; pretty political, so won’t comment except to say that we were glad we saw it. [/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]Sitting here again in Horizon Ct and it’s now time for breakfast. Will try to find out about photo journal. And Tim, I will make the attempt to find your parents.[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Pia;

Sounds like a wonderful day at sea. Thanks for checking in.....:):):)

Bob

Didi: I just spoke to Jacque a few minutes ago. He said you can do the table for 12, but must contact him as soon as you get on board. There will only be 4 tables of 12 and I have no clue on what day.

John: Will let you know about volcano after we leave port

Sandy: There is mention today in the Patter about photo journal, but all it says is for more information as at the photo desk.

We are now 5 hours behind EST, going back another hour tonight. Nice to gain that extra hour, but alas, we must eventually give it back. Almost time for wine tasting. See you all later.

[quote name='Pia1913']Didi: I just spoke to Jacque a few minutes ago. He said you can do the table for 12, but must contact him as soon as you get on board. There will only be 4 tables of 12 and I have no clue on what day.

Sandy: There is mention today in the Patter about photo journal, but all it says is for more information as at the photo desk.

We are now 5 hours behind EST, going back another hour tonight. Nice to gain that extra hour, but alas, we must eventually give it back. Almost time for wine tasting. See you all later.[/quote]

Arlene, not sure if they are in Dunedin or exactly where in NZ, but if you get the chance go to the Speitz Brewery. Try the Porters Extra. Even if you do not like beer you will like it.

[quote name='cruiseron36'] not sure if they are in Dunedin or exactly where in NZ, but if you get the chance go to the Speitz Brewery. Try the Porters Extra. Even if you do not like beer you will like it.[/QUOTE]

Pia - It is in Dunedin and is SPEIGHTS brewery - and she's right - I hate beer, but that stuff is addictive!

[quote name='jajohnson']Pia

Enjoying your live....looking forward to meeting you when we join the ship in Sydney. Do you know if the Sapphire will be scheduled so that you can see the Kiluea volcano at night as you sail by????

John Johnson[/QUOTE]

Probably not, as that would be the norm for leaving from Hilo, which is not a port for this trip. The only way they would do it is as a special 'drive by' which would be pretty much out of the way leaving from Oahu and heading south and east. (It is Kilauea, btw)

Pia, you are doing a great job with the daily updates and trying to answer everyone's questions. Save some trivia prizes for us when we board. Do you think they'll repeat the same trivias when we board next month? If so, I want to be on your team because you already know the answers :D!

[quote name='DonahCBrown']Pia - It is in Dunedin and is SPEIGHTS brewery - and she's right - I hate beer, but that stuff is addictive![/QUOTE]

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Blue"]They do Brewery Tours and put on a good lunch. We went there for lunch, but did not do the tour , as it was booked out and takes 90 minutes of your day, and only leaves at certain times.

[url]http://www.speights.co.nz/Home.aspx[/url]

Its a good option if youv'e been to Dunedin before , and seen all the sights.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]H[/I]i all......... post dinner drop-in. Needed to get some info so might as well say hello. I like beer; maybe we'll do that Dunedin tour. Still lots of time. Ship is not selling Christchurch shorex which leads us to believe we are not stopping. I don't want to start rumors before we get any definitive announcement, but strange that no tours available.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Running to watch a movie. Talk tomorrow from Honolulu, though maybe not early in the day.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Pia1913'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]H[/I]i all......... post dinner drop-in. Needed to get some info so might as well say hello. I like beer; maybe we'll do that Dunedin tour. Still lots of time. Ship is not selling Christchurch shorex which leads us to believe we are not stopping. I don't want to start rumors before we get any definitive announcement, but strange that no tours available.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Running to watch a movie. Talk tomorrow from Honolulu, though maybe not early in the day.[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I would guess it has something to do with the massive earthquake (7.0+) which occurred near Christchurch on September 3rd. There was severe damage, so it's probably not a good time to visit anyway.

[quote name='Pia1913'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Ship is not selling Christchurch shorex which leads us to believe we are not stopping. I don't want to start rumors before we get any definitive announcement, but strange that no tours available[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3].[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

From the port website:

SAPPHIRE PRINCESS Berth: Cashin Quay 2 Arrival: 18/10/10 05:30:00 From: Wellington Departure: 18/10/10 18:00:00 Next port: Port Chalmers

[quote name='Pia1913'] Ship is not selling Christchurch shorex which leads us to believe we are not stopping. I don't want to start rumors before we get any definitive announcement, but strange that no tours available.
[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Blue"]Christchurch is still experiencing after shocks,
so I would guess they are excercising caution.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Pia1913'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]H[/I]i all......... post dinner drop-in. Needed to get some info so might as well say hello. I like beer; maybe we'll do that Dunedin tour. Still lots of time. Ship is not selling Christchurch shorex which leads us to believe we are not stopping. I don't want to start rumors before we get any definitive announcement, but strange that no tours available.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Running to watch a movie. Talk tomorrow from Honolulu, though maybe not early in the day.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Lyttleton Port cruise ship forecast shows Sapphire due in 18/10/10 at 5.30am
That was last updated Monday 27th September
see [URL]http://www.lpc.co.nz/RP.jasc?Page=/LPCCruiseShipForcastNetApp&Style=LPC[/URL] Extranet Small Header&Node=N89

[quote name='Appie']Pia & Mike,

Bon Voyage ! ! !

Thanks for taking the time to post. Can't wait to read each one.

Looking forward to joining you in Sydney for the return trip.

Pat & Len (Appie)[/quote]

Hey Pat and Len. I didn't realise you are joining Pia for the return journey. Are you still cruising with us on the Constellation in November?

[quote name='Pia1913']Didi: I just spoke to Jacque a few minutes ago. He said you can do the table for 12, but must contact him as soon as you get on board. There will only be 4 tables of 12 and I have no clue on what day.

We are now 5 hours behind EST, going back another hour tonight. Nice to gain that extra hour, but alas, we must eventually give it back. Almost time for wine tasting. See you all later.[/quote]

Pia;

Curious as to what kind of a variety there was at the wine tasting.....

Bob

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Welcome to Honolulu; a glorious morning. We got up at 7:00 and the ship was already here. And...... it is HOT![/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3] This will be brief since we are off and running to do our chores. Yes……..shopping at Walmart; our tasks du jour. So many more items needed that we weren’t able to take with us because of airline weight restrictions. And, we still have 8 weeks to go. No tours for us. We’ve been here lots of times and a few times for extended periods. Though we love cruising, touching terra firma after a while is also nice. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]To all of you commenting on Christchurch, I am well aware of the listed arrival schedule. However, what I said was there are no excursions being sold yet, whereas shorex are being sold for every other port. I will let you know if more info becomes available.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]As for wine selections.......... same old, same old. Nobilo, la Crema, Kendall Jackson and two others I don't recall. The only one I like is the Nobilo sauvignon blanc.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]See you later.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived