LIVE from the Sapphire - 33 days from Seattle to Sydney

Pia1913

PIA...skipbo is a fun card game that we play regularly. The cards are not regular cards but made up for this game. 1-12 and then wild cards. Very simple but hard to explain in several words or less

BTW....I love reading your posts and can't wait to go on board to experience it all....I feel like I am with you.

Censina

YesSkipbo is on the agenda again this afternoon. Never found out what it was because the other time it was scheduled the cruise staff person forgot to show up.

Per wikipedia:

SKIP-BO is a commercial version of the card game Spite and Malice. In 1967, Ms. Hazel Bowman of Brownfield, Texas began producing a boxed edition of the game under the name Skip-bo. In 1980 the game was purchased by International Games, which was subsequently bought by Mattel in 1992.

The deck consists of 162 cards, twelve each of the numbers 1 through 12 and eighteen "SKIP-BO" wild cards which may be played as any number. Alternatively, the 162 cards could be three regular decks of playing cards, including the jokers, with ace to queen corresponding to 1 to 12 and the kings and jokers corresponding to the SKIP-BO cards. Before 1980, the commercial game consisted of three decks of regular playing cards with six SKIP-BO cards replacing the standard two jokers in each deck.

Two to six people can play at a time as individuals or 6+ players in partnerships (no more than 3 partnerships). The object of the game is to be the first player or partnership to play out their entire stock pile(s). Players are dealt a 30 card stock pile, with only the uppermost card visible, and a hand of 5 cards, and the remaining cards are placed face down to create a common draw pile. The shared play area allows up to 4 build piles, which must be started using either a "1" card or a Skip-Bo, and each player also has up to 4 personal discard piles. Each turn the active player draws until he has 5 cards in hand, and plays on the build piles. He must play either the next card in sequential order or a wild Skip-Bo card, using either cards in hand, the top card of his stock pile, or the top card of any of his 4 discard piles. If the player can play all 5 cards from hand, he draws 5 more and continues playing. When no more plays are available, the player discards one card to either an empty discard pile or on top of an existing one and play passes to the next player. When a build pile reaches 12, it is removed from the board and that space becomes empty for another pile to be started; play continues until one player has played his final start card. it has 5 new cards add stock, redraw,clear pile,starting 5 and staring 9.

more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKIP-BO

Hello again. A few bits of information.

1. For those on the next cruise who are so interested in Halloween, I spoke with Richard today and he assured me there will be something that night in Club Fusion. No other info, since his plans are not yet solidified.

2. Two CC cocktail parties tonight (formal night) and 2 tomorrow (casual night). Our invitation is for tomorrow. Hooray!

3. Another Cruise Critic M & G is scheduled for 10/11. This one is being sponsored by our CD and hopefully the Captain will be able to attend.

4. Didi: No Paul on cruise staff. Andrew, David and Thomas are the guys. Clare, Rochelle and Veronica are the females.

5. Linda: will look at weights tomorrow and let you know

Hi Pia - You asked about the movie Shutter Island. Unlike the earlier poster, I would give it a definite two thumbs up just for its incredible cinema noir effect. The scenery and people are oh so spooky - Leonardo DiCaprio is outstanding. The ending is, well, bizarre to say the least but I doubt if you'll see it coming. It was a refreshing change from all the car chasing, high-tech computerizedanimated movies. Let me know what you think. Didi

I have to agree with you. We thoroughly enjoyed the moving and as you said there was a bizarre ending.

Marilee

Another question please Pia. Can you tell me if generally there is anything going on in Club Fusion beween 5 and 7? As I recall, last year there were big chunks of the day when the place was empty. Also, I can't remember when your next M&G is, but if you can, please ask your fellow B2Bers if they would like to come to the CC Halloween party? Right now, it's still on for Oct. 31 but we really don't have a surefire venue for it that night. We're way too big for one large suite and Skywalkers can be problematic as well because of the elite/Platinum cocktail party. I've now thrown out the suggestion we move to a sea day - Saturday, Oct. 30. But I don't have the final say on that.

Thanks as always. Didi

And here it is, morning again. The days just come and go so quickly. Seems as if I’m going to the gym early in the AM and then it’s time for dinner. I don’t know where those hours go, but they sure fly by. We went to the show last night; saw the Vegas entertainer Tony Tillman. A very good showman; we were exhausted just watching him.

Agenda du jour starts with the movie Robin Hood at 9:00 AM. Who in the world wants to see a movie at that hour? I’m going to sneak a peek just to see how many actually are there. Several port talks scheduled today, along with another oceanography lecture (I attended one of them last week. This woman is an excellent speaker), and also a lecture on “Shipboard Life in the Life of Sail.” Lest you thought it wasn’t happening, rest assured that the art auction is alive and well. Not around too often, but it will be this afternoon.

Tonight’s entertainment is a repeat of I Got the Music and a repeat of last night’s magician. Sounds like we’ll be doing lots of reading and call it an early night.

Another warning in the Patter about poor signal, so again wish me luck from up here in Horizon Ct.

Didi: Fusion usually empty after trivia ends which is approx. 5:00 PM

Sandy: Probably re: dance stuff. I don't pay attention, because I don't do it. Today's Patter has Ballroom Blitz for beginners at 2:00

And here it is, morning again. The days just come and go so quickly. Seems as if I’m going to the gym early in the AM and then it’s time for dinner. I don’t know where those hours go, but they sure fly by. We went to the show last night; saw the Vegas entertainer Tony Tillman. A very good showman; we were exhausted just watching him.

Agenda du jour starts with the movie Robin Hood at 9:00 AM. Who in the world wants to see a movie at that hour? I’m going to sneak a peek just to see how many actually are there. Several port talks scheduled today, along with another oceanography lecture (I attended one of them last week. This woman is an excellent speaker), and also a lecture on “Shipboard Life in the Life of Sail.” Lest you thought it wasn’t happening, rest assured that the art auction is alive and well. Not around too often, but it will be this afternoon.

Tonight’s entertainment is a repeat of I Got the Music and a repeat of last night’s magician. Sounds like we’ll be doing lots of reading and call it an early night.

Another warning in the Patter about poor signal, so again wish me luck from up here in Horizon Ct.

Didi: Fusion usually empty after trivia ends which is approx. 5:00 PM

Sandy: Probably re: dance stuff. I don't pay attention, because I don't do it. Today's Patter has Ballroom Blitz for beginners at 2:00

Hi Pia,

Did you make it to the gym today? Just wondering about 2, 3, 5 pound weights. Thank you.;)

And now it’s 8 hours later than the last time I checked in. A whole day gone by and I don’t have a clue where it went. Did I spend that much time eating and playing trivia? Was it the Samoa lecture I attended? Reading? Talking? Yes, to all of the above. And, BTW, remember that early Robin Hood movie? It was in Explorer’s and had a full house!

Our clocks go back an hour tonight; an extra hour of sleep is always welcome. Especially, since we have an early tour in Pago Pago tomorrow. I may not have the time to check in early, but be assured that I’ll give you whatever info I amass when I do. Can’t tell you what is planned though, since I’m just a little puppy following its master. This is a private excursion planned by one of our Roll Call members and we’re just happy to be part of it.

Linda, I'm sorry. Yes, I was up there, but forgot to look.

Tina, I think there are six. Will count next time I'm there. If, I remember. :rolleyes:

Bye for now and until some time tomorrow.

And now it’s 8 hours later than the last time I checked in. A whole day gone by and I don’t have a clue where it went. Did I spend that much time eating and playing trivia? Was it the Samoa lecture I attended? Reading? Talking? Yes, to all of the above. And, BTW, remember that early Robin Hood movie? It was in Explorer’s and had a full house!

Our clocks go back an hour tonight; an extra hour of sleep is always welcome. Especially, since we have an early tour in Pago Pago tomorrow. I may not have the time to check in early, but be assured that I’ll give you whatever info I amass when I do. Can’t tell you what is planned though, since I’m just a little puppy following its master. This is a private excursion planned by one of our Roll Call members and we’re just happy to be part of it.

Tina, I think there are six. Will count next time I'm there. If, I remember. :rolleyes:

Pia;

Hope you enjoy your tour in Pago Pago.....:):):)

Bob

It is good to have these issues. :D

Well I just read all 10 pages of this thread. I think I saw the ship in Vancouver and San Francisco as I was on a shorty coastaL cruise on the Pearll from Vancouver to LA stopping in SFO. I can attest to the crowds on the 19th. Our taxi ride went from $12 to $26 in the last 1/2 mile as we stalled in traffic at Ballantyne pier.

That aside as I enjoy this thread the question comes to mind, how does one budget for this kind of cruise at least the 30 day variety. Yes I can calculate the fare and the tips. The incidentals and excursion cost I have no idea. Do you just add $2K and be done with it. I am not including gift shopping but shore food, drinks, shore excursions, photos, alternative restaurants, laundry, Internet, ....

Agenda du jour starts with the movie Robin Hood at 9:00 AM. Who in the world wants to see a movie at that hour? I’m going to sneak a peek just to see how many actually are there.

Aloha Pia Ko'u moku kaua hoaloha;

I am happy to hear you are having a great time. However I find it very curious that you would pop into a theater at 9:00 am just to see who was there like Russel Crowe. Did you stay?

I know this is off topic but do you like cats?

However you know that the curious are always the best with knowlege and information and when they combine that with intellegence and common sense they are the best, and you are from what I have read.

Now having said that you have to carry the flag and remember that if you do not meet other's standards or expectations then they should lower theirs.

I have enjoyed reading this thread and cannot believe the time you have spent posting while on vacation. Thanks for that and if you have pictures please post them later as I know uploading takes time onboard.

On another note for those reading a old friend of mine has worked for over 20 years seasonally for Bloody Mary's on Bora Bora driving the shuttle and bar tending. They call him little John from NYNY.

Hi Pia, :)

Its been an absolute delight following your (our) adventures and experiences. I wait with eager anticipation on your opinion of our Awesome Foursome tour in Fiji with Lionel – just don’t go rocking them boats Pia, :eek: LOL

Oh and just for your information (usless as it maybe) we live a stones throw from Sherwood Forest! Now you know why all those people went to see Robin Hood, it was to see where we lived. :D

Thanks again Pia, looking forward to sharing it all with you soon!

Welcome to American Samoa, which is comprised of six islands with a total land mass of 77 miles. The main island is Tutuila which is where we are now; Pago Pago - the capital.

Somerset Maugham wrote here; Margaret Mead wrote here and Robert Louis Stevenson spent the last four years of his life here. The currency here is the U.S. dollar which of course makes life easier for we, the passengers. Even though this is an unincorporated territory of the United States, the inhabitants of American Samoa are not considered U.S. citizens and therefore cannot vote for U.S. president.

On board today there is practically nothing going on and I also expect there should be very few passengers not partaking in some kind of tour or at least venturing off on their own. At 2:00 there’s the movie Ghost Writer again and tonight the only entertainment will be Bob Howe the guitar player. Explorer’s will have the Vintage People - all night! OMG! :eek:

We are just about ready to disembark. Catch you later.

P. S. to whomever asked: No. I like dogs and do not like cats. And no, I didn't stay; it was trivia time. I just wanted to see how many people got up so early to watch a 2 1/2 hour film

Welcome to American Samoa, which is comprised of six islands with a total land mass of 77 miles. The main island is Tutuila which is where we are now; Pago Pago - the capital.

Somerset Maugham wrote here; Margaret Mead wrote here and Robert Louis Stevenson spent the last four years of his life here. The currency here is the U.S. dollar which of course makes life easier for we, the passengers. Even though this is an unincorporated territory of the United States, the inhabitants of American Samoa are not considered U.S. citizens and therefore cannot vote for U.S. president.

On board today there is practically nothing going on and I also expect there should be very few passengers not partaking in some kind of tour or at least venturing off on their own. At 2:00 there’s the movie Ghost Writer again and tonight the only entertainment will be Bob Howe the guitar player. Explorer’s will have the Vintage People - all night! OMG! :eek:

P. S. to whomever asked: No. I like dogs and do not like cats. And no, I didn't stay; it was trivia time. I just wanted to see how many people got up so early to watch a 2 1/2 hour film

Arlene, did you know that Duane "the rock" Johnson is from Samoa. He is a hero down there.

Pia,

Hope I am not repeating a question - but since you mentioned the US Dollar being accepted in American Samoa, just wondering if you needed to do a currency exchange when you were in Tahiti. If so, can you do that upon arrival (at the pier or in town) or did you do that on the ship (doubtful). Next fall we will be on the Sapphire for the L.A. round trip to Hawaii, Samoa and Tahiti - so wondering about money in French Polynesia and Western Samoa. Thanks in advance for your help.

Pia,

Hope I am not repeating a question - but since you mentioned the US Dollar being accepted in American Samoa, just wondering if you needed to do a currency exchange when you were in Tahiti. If so, can you do that upon arrival (at the pier or in town) or did you do that on the ship (doubtful). Next fall we will be on the Sapphire for the L.A. round trip to Hawaii, Samoa and Tahiti - so wondering about money in French Polynesia and Western Samoa. Thanks in advance for your help.

Most places in Tahiti will take either credit cards or American dollars. You can buy some francs before you go over but it isn't necessary.

Most places in Tahiti will take either credit cards or American dollars. You can buy some francs before you go over but it isn't necessary.

If you do , don't buy too many francs as you will have difficulty changing them back , and end up being stuck with them.

Just back a little while ago from what was a wonderful day in Pago Pago. We were on a private tour booked by one of our roll call members Evana ( screen name banana van). BTW, her screen name is one word, but Microsoft Works insists on separating it. Anyway, we met at the white piano on deck 5, left the ship at 8:15 and were on our buses before 8:30. Our group had 3 buses; each bus held 24 people, though ours only had 16. Interesting bus; all wood inside including the top (ceiling). This was the Tisa’s Barefoot Bar tour. We toured the island for almost 1 ½ hours with many photo stops at the breathtaking water/mountain scenes. Everything here is lush. Very green, since they get about 200 inches of rainfall annually. We arrived at Tisa’s, a large waterfront bar, where you could just sit and do nothing or swim or snorkel. We did nothing, though I did go on to the beach and get my ankles wet. Our lunch was included and we had a delicious chicken breast (barbecued lightly with what I think was a combination of a lime/orange topping), rice and cole slaw. Drinks were extra. We tried the Samoan

Beer; Vailima. $4 for the small bottle; $7 for the large. Even if you don’t drink beer this one is different and if/when you get to this place I suggest you try it. Interestingly, they have coconut shells under each table burning some sort of incense to keep the flies away. We saw none and there was hardly any scent at all.

During our ride around the island we passed many fale (homes); some small and shabby and others huge and elaborate. The Samoan way of life is the extended family who all live together and literally stay together even after death. There are no public cemeteries for Samoans and the graves of loved ones are lined up just outside their house. Some are plain; some elaborately done.

I think I’ve just about covered our 5 ½ hours ashore. At dock side there is a huge amount of shopping; everything is right there. All the tchotchkes you want and then some.

We just looked quickly and Mike even managed to buy a polo during his allotted 5 minutes. We will be back here next month with a whole day to just meander about. Oh…..the Volendam is here too. Never noticed it this morning, but I think it got here just after we did. We have the better spot.

Bye for now.

Pia,

Sounds like you had a wonderful day. Was this one of the ports that was new to you? What are tchotchkes? Unique to Samoa?

All the tchotchkes you want and then some.

Thanks for your daily updates. It's fun cruising along with you.:)

Archived