Venice - Port to St Marks Square

nutsngum

You could walk (2 miles).

You could take the People Mover (1 Euro) to Piazzale Roma and walk from there (1.5 miles)

You could take the People Mover (1 Euro) to Piazzale Roma and the vaporetto from there.

You could take the Alilaguna M (Brown) line direct from the cruise port to San Marco.

You could take the People Mover (1 Euro) to Piazzale Roma and walk from there (1.5 miles)

You could take the People Mover (1 Euro) to Piazzale Roma and the vaporetto from there.

You could take the Alilaguna M (Brown) line direct from the cruise port to San Marco.

How much is the Vaporetto and the Alilaguna?

At least on Princess, they offer a private water-shuttle that runs continually from the port to St. Mark's Square. I believe that they automatically added $15 per person to your onboard account ... which you could remove if you didn't use the service. There was as long line right after the ship docked and was cleared. But, after that dissipated, it was a pretty convenient service.

At least on Princess, they offer a private water-shuttle that runs continually from the port to St. Mark's Square. I believe that they automatically added $15 per person to your onboard account ... which you could remove if you didn't use the service. There was as long line right after the ship docked and was cleared. But, after that dissipated, it was a pretty convenient service.

Oh really, that's fantastic! Thanks for letting me know

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of people do this walk. Very doable. Harder after a day of sightseeing, but oh well.:rolleyes:

I have a slightly different take on this question. We too are sailing on the Star and need to go from our Hotel (near St Mark's) to the ship with luggage - any recommendations for folks who don't like schlepping their own:)?

As Euro cruiser mentioned earlier, Alilguna runs between St Marks and the pier http://www.alilaguna.it/index.en.html

We walked to St. Mark's square and it was a wonderful way to spend an hour or so in the morning. There are small signs that keep pointing you in the right direction, and it was a charming route.

If you really don't want to lift your luggage, take a water taxi. It's very expensive (it was 55 Euros 5 years ago) but we opted for that instead of a gondola ride.

I have a slightly different take on this question. We too are sailing on the Star and need to go from our Hotel (near St Mark's) to the ship with luggage - any recommendations for folks who don't like schlepping their own:)?

There is no cheap way to get to the ship without lugging your own luggage. Even if you use the Aliliguna from St Marks Square (your smartest option) you would still need to get your luggage from your hotel to the pier and on to the boat. It is possible to have the hotel get you a porter, but these guys are not cheap (but they will take your luggage on a cart). Of course the best way (if money is no object) is to have a water taxi pick you up at your hotel dock and take you directly to the port (where you still need to get your luggage from the taxi pier to the terminal building...unless you can find a porter.

Hank

WE just got off the STar and did the reverse route.

They offered a luggage service to about 30 hotels for I think $39 per person. Ours was not on the list though since it was a small 9 room hotel. If yours is a larger hotel, it might be on the list. Call Princess or have your travel agent call and see if you can sign up for this from hotel to ship. You do not have to be booked in a Princess hotel either to use this service.

Otherwise, I would just have your hotel call for a water taxi and use it. See if anyone else on your roll call could share the taxi with you.

Cheryl

A lot of people do this walk. Very doable. Harder after a day of sightseeing, but oh well.:rolleyes:

We've done this walk several times. There are signs all along the way pointing you in the right direction. We took different routes each time and still made it to St. Mark's Square.

Archived