Choosing the cabin.... port vs starboard

5326jan

:confused:Who looks at the itinerary and picks thier cabin based on whether they will have a better view on port or starboard. Would you accept an upgrade if it put you on the opposite side of the ship? To me this was important sailing the inside passage, but I'm not sure that it matters on most itineraries.

For us, on port intensive itineraries, it usually does not matter whether we are on the port side or starboard side of the ship.

On trans-Atlantics or trans-Pacifics, with many sea days, we often will make our choice dependent upon where the sun will be in relation to the ship's position. We prefer morning sun to late afternoon sun.

:confused:Who looks at the itinerary and picks thier cabin based on whether they will have a better view on port or starboard. Would you accept an upgrade if it put you on the opposite side of the ship? To me this was important sailing the inside passage, but I'm not sure that it matters on most itineraries.

Here is another recent thread....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1281067

If this were true, wouldn't they have to advertise that???:eek:

I've seen this on a number of boards. It's not something advertised, it's word of mouth, so to speak. Heh, I'm just passing it along . . . I don't smoke, so the whole Princess fleet could be non-smoking for all I care! :D

I've seen this on a number of boards. It's not something advertised, it's word of mouth, so to speak. Heh, I'm just passing it along . . . I don't smoke, so the whole Princess fleet could be non-smoking for all I care! :D

On Princess, every cabin is a smoking allowed cabin. Port, starboard, forward, aft, high, low, inside, outside.

Afraid I always look at the itinerary and an atlas and then decide which side depending on the position of the sun - south or west !!!! But nearly always Caribe midships.

Our itinerary in the Black Sea will make a complete circle, so the sun isn't an issue for us. I chose the port side based on the fact that it would be the land side rather than the sea side. That will be the case until we head north to Slovenia and Venice. If we sailed into Venice during daylight, I would have to be on deck to see that, but we are due in at 4AM... I plan to be asleep at that time!

Thanks everyone for their comments. I haven't ever had a problem with smelling smoke on a Princess balcony, so either I have been lucky or it's not that big of a problem. :o

Wow! How did smoking get onto this thread! :confused:

Wait long enough and they ALL seem to roll around to that one, endless diatribe. This one turned more quickly than some.

Im curious, is one side or the other better for smuggling alcohol on board, or for storing the jeans I will wear to dinner?

...ok, I think that covers the usual controversial topics... no wait, one more: I choose my cabin location based on how close I can be to the deck chairs so I can run up early in the morning to put my towel on them, then go back to my cabin for 3 hours to rest.

Im curious, is one side or the other better for smuggling alcohol on board, or for storing the jeans I will wear to dinner?

...ok, I think that covers the usual controversial topics... no wait, one more: I choose my cabin location based on how close I can be to the deck chairs so I can run up early in the morning to put my towel on them, then go back to my cabin for 3 hours to rest.

Life wouldn't be complete without a Chair Hog debate as well.....:):):)

Bob

So...we are doing Alaska Inside Passage on Sept 17, 2011. Roundtrip from Seattle. Is that a North Bound or South Bound?

Roundtrip from Seattle is neither a northbound or south bound cruise. North bound and south bound refers to cruises that cruise only one way....usually from Vancouver to Seward (Anchorage area) or from Seward back down to Vancouver.

So...we are doing Alaska Inside Passage on Sept 17, 2011. Roundtrip from Seattle. Is that a North Bound or South Bound?

With a round trip from Seattle it won't really matter, what you miss going up you will see coming down. That is true from Vancouver as well but I have a preference for starboard out of Vancouver, I always think the scenery is a bit superior on that side both coming and going.

Archived