Customer service complaint about Oasis

rexalite

I wanted to get some input regarding how to go about complaining about poor service on the Oasis of the Seas. My In-laws just did a 7-day cruise on this ship two weeks ago. They shared a suite with another couple. My mother-in-law's birthday was while they were on board. I wanted to arrange a birthday surprise for her, so through the customer service department I arranged to have a card with a personal message sent to her on the first day of the cruise with $500 in ship credits for her to spend as she pleased, and then arranged for a personalized birthday cake to be presented to her on her actual birthday which was on day 6 of the ship. I paid $525.

Neither present arrived. My MIL was devastated - thinking that her only son totally ignored her birthday! She said it really ruined her holiday. There was nothing done for her birthday at all. The $500 shipboard credit mysteriously appeared on the other couples account, with no card. Of course they had no idea what it was for, so they inquired at the ship's billing department. They were told "it's just a credit on the account for you to use"! So they used it! I have no idea how this would have even happened.

In my mind, this is a HUGE deal. There are supposed to be concierges dedicated to the suites to make sure people staying in them get good service. How could both of the birthday surprises go missing? What would you cruise veterans recommend on how to go about registering a complaint that will reach the ears of the person who can actually do something to make this up to my MIL?

I'm guessing that the other couple were the lead on the reservation and that is why they received the credit instead of your in-laws.

###

I agree. I was thinking the same thing as I read the post.

To the OP: I would write a letter and just like you did here, explain what happened and how disappointed you and your mother in law were. Just be brief and non accusatory. You might at least get an apology. Make sure you let us know what happens.

Sorry, that is totally unacceptable.

When an OBC is ordered, the order taker usually asks who's account the credit should be applied to. Did you order it, or did you have a TA order it?"

Do write and let us know what response you get. Usually they also ask if there is any message with the obc, so I can't imagine the other couple didn't get a card saying Happy Birthday, but stranger things have happened. You deserve an apology and a refund.

It's unfortunate but these things happen (alot!). On my last cruise, I had a gift OBC that didn't show up on my account. Fortunately I knew about it and had a confirmation. The onboard customer service guy tried to pass the buck back to me to call Miami to get the issue resolved but I was insistant and able to get it corrected while onboard.

I think your problem occurred because of sharing a suite. Your in-laws had the same booking number as the other guests. RC links the OBC to the booking number. If the other couple was listed as the 1st & 2nd guests and your in-laws as the 3rd & 4th, then RC probably assumed it went to the 1st & 2nd guests. I'm not sure what you can do about that now. Would the other couple give your MIL the $500? That seems tacky but I doubt RC will do much about it since the cruise is over. Do you have anything in writing from RC that lists your MIL's name for the OBC? If so, see if customer service will do anything since it was their error.

I've had bad luck with onboard gifts and birthdays too. I ordered a bon voyage package for friends when they sailed, but I intended it to be a surprise. It was a surprise to me - they never got the champaign, balloons, and flowers. I thought it was strange that they didn't mention the gift so I finally asked. I called RC and was able to get the money refunded. I would have prefered to have the gift delivered but at least I got my money back. I did have to speak to a couple different people. BTW, when you speak to someone, get their name and keep a record of it. In my case, the rep said she would have to contact the ship and get back to me. After two days with no return call, I called back and spoke to someone else who eventually transferred me to the original person. She confirmed with the ship that my gift order wasn't delivered and "meant" to call me back but got busy. :rolleyes:

I celebrated my birthday onboard a few years ago and had it noted on my reservation. On my birthday nothing happened. My husband reminded our waiter the next night and I got a piece of cake with a candle. Not much but I felt better.

I wanted to get some input regarding how to go about complaining about poor service on the Oasis of the Seas. My In-laws just did a 7-day cruise on this ship two weeks ago. They shared a suite with another couple. My mother-in-law's birthday was while they were on board. I wanted to arrange a birthday surprise for her, so through the customer service department I arranged to have a card with a personal message sent to her on the first day of the cruise with $500 in ship credits for her to spend as she pleased, and then arranged for a personalized birthday cake to be presented to her on her actual birthday which was on day 6 of the ship. I paid $525.

Neither present arrived. My MIL was devastated - thinking that her only son totally ignored her birthday! She said it really ruined her holiday. There was nothing done for her birthday at all. The $500 shipboard credit mysteriously appeared on the other couples account, with no card. Of course they had no idea what it was for, so they inquired at the ship's billing department. They were told "it's just a credit on the account for you to use"! So they used it! I have no idea how this would have even happened.

In my mind, this is a HUGE deal. There are supposed to be concierges dedicated to the suites to make sure people staying in them get good service. How could both of the birthday surprises go missing? What would you cruise veterans recommend on how to go about registering a complaint that will reach the ears of the person who can actually do something to make this up to my MIL?

Definitely write a letter. Call up and ask who the letter should be sent to--try to get the name of the highest reasonable exec they'll give you. I don't know if they will do anything beyond refunding the money, but a letter is a good idea. Also, if your MIL sails with RCI a lot, it might be best to have her sign the letter too. This way they know they are dealing with an upset customer also.

Did you pay the $525 on your credit card? If so call them and tell them you did not get what you paid for, they credit did not ever get put on her account. (don't give to much detail at first)

Then let them fight with RCI and see what it get you.

The process is kind of like playing tennis, but after a few times back and forth, it is usually fair.

the couple sharing the suite could have and should have transferred the OBC to your MIL. They didn't due to an incorrect assumption by Guest Services. As others have said, explain what happened in a non-threatening way and mention how disappointed your MIL was on her Oasis cruise. RCI doesn't like to hear about dissatisfied customers on their new baby!

rexalite, this is not directed at you, because you didn't do anything wrong.

Perhaps others in your situation will read this, though, and this advice is for them:

Surprises are nice, but it is best if SOMEONE in the party knows that a gift is waiting. It happens often enough that something doesn't show up. If your FIL had known, for instance, that you had made this purchase for your MIL, when it didn't appear, he could have made inquiries on her behalf at Guest Services.

Perhaps others in your situation will read this, though, and this advice is for them:

Surprises are nice, but it is best if SOMEONE in the party knows that a gift is waiting. It happens often enough that something doesn't show up. If your FIL had known, for instance, that you had made this purchase for your MIL, when it didn't appear, he could have made inquiries on her behalf at Guest Services.

Not to mention notifying the other couple --- who actually spent the $$.

###

Billsgal- the order taker did put it specifically to my MILs account when I placed the order. When she first pulled up the reservation, she gave my FILs name, and then I corrected her to my MILs name and asked that it be put to her account specifically. She never mentioned the other couples' name and neither did I- I assumed they would be on a totally separate bill.

I dictated a lengthy personal message for the card and had a nice conversation with the order taker re my MIL being called Yaya by my son, so both the card and the cake were supposed to read "Happy birthday Yaya". Noone ever got the card.

They emailed me a receipt for the purchase and it shows a $500 credit by my MILs name, but it just showed up on her friends bill instead of her own. I would have expected that when her friend inquired about the credit it would have shown as having been paid by me, whereby it all would have been sorted.

Mets550- this was my MILs first cruise with RC so I don't know that they will be tripping over themselves to do something nice for her.

Merion- that is good advice to let someone know. Honestly that never occurred to me. They have a whole gift department set up so I thought (wrongly) they would be able to handle a simple gift! Phooey.

I would call up and complain continually up the ladder until you get your money back. What the cruise line did is nothing short of theft. Basically it's no different than saying I am in room 3049 and have $200 prepaid OBC credit put on my account and they put it on room 3051's account. It didn't go to who it was suppose to go to. Only difference in your case is both parties knew each other. I would demand the $525 back until you get it.

Keep calling and work up the ladder till you get to the top.

Did you pay the $525 on your credit card? If so call them and tell them you did not get what you paid for, they credit did not ever get put on her account. (don't give to much detail at first)

The process is kind of like playing tennis, but after a few times back and forth, it is usually fair.

That is exactly what should be done first.

The credit card was charged for a product or service that was never delivered.

RCL this is just awful PR.....

I was going to preorder a few things for our upcoming cruise but NO THANKS - I will either forgo or order onboard now -

Seems, IMO anyway from other stories I have read as well as this one re: booking gifts that that deptmt needs a real shakeup...:/

IMO also the other cruisers who spent the $ shld do the 'honorable' thing and reimburse - it wasn't their $..! I wld have insisted knowing exactly from whom I got a sudden OBC as they have to be given by SOMEONE as cruiselines always give them in advance, not during a cruise...Shld have made them suspicious it was done in error! :(

So sorry this happened to u - really hope u get some satisfaction and don't let them put u off...U ordered & paid in good faith and they agreed to deliver to a specific person also in good faith and didn't...

RCL is totally at fault here..let your credit card company deal with them...lots more 'clout' than u have... :)

Perhaps RCL cld take the refund out of the pockets/paychecks of those at fault - I guarantee they wld be way more careful in the future!!

Happy cruisin' all! :)

After contacting RCCL, if you still don't get reimbursement, DEFINITELY contact your credit card company, if that's how you paid.

The card company will ask if you have tried to settle with the RCCL first, but once you have explained the story to them, as you have done here, I am sure that they will more than happy to assist their customer (you)!

I completely agree. Even though lots of people do not have any problems, I have read too many disappointing stories about people who do.

Good Advice :)

It seems that we read these stories way too often around here. If RCI is going to offer these types of services then they should have a better system in place for making sure that people get what they paid for. Maybe they should send some staff over to Amazon.com and learn how they fill so many orders every day and get it right. It just seems like it should not be hard to link every cash payment or gift with a reservation number. Smething is just not right with the system.

Unfortunate that you didn't come here until after the fiasco. You could have found many similar examples and been forewarned. I agree with the dispute the charge idea, although, it will likely end with the other party getting a $500 charge on their credit card.

I would have expected that when her friend inquired about the credit it would have shown as having been paid by me, whereby it all would have been sorted.

My aunt had a OBC show up on her account and when we asked who gave her the OBC, they were able to look it up and give us a name.

It seems very strange that the other couple didn't get the info when they inquired.:confused:

Unfortunate that you didn't come here until after the fiasco. You could have found many similar examples and been forewarned. I agree with the dispute the charge idea, although, it will likely end with the other party getting a $500 charge on their credit card.

I surely hope not, that wouldn't be good customer care either. They are an innocent party as well since they didn't know anything about the money and guest relations told them it's a credit on their account and they should spend it. :) If anything, RCCL should eat this since the initial money was linked to the MIL.

But I probably would have informed the other party ahead of time so they could make sure that the money and card did arrive. I am one of those people that don't trust things to be done unless I do it.

Sounds like the cruiseline messed up for sure, but I would be more upset with the other couple. Have to question thier integrity. If I had an extra $500.00 show up in my bank account, would I just take it and spend it?.....no, I would notify the bank and have them check into it. It was a simple mistake, certainly not "a ruined vacation". Having a heart attack, getting a call that your house just burned down etc....that would spoil a vacation. An accounting error? Not so much.

Sounds like the cruiseline messed up for sure, but I would be more upset with the other couple. Have to question thier integrity. If I had an extra $500.00 show up in my bank account, would I just take it and spend it?.....no, I would notify the bank and have them check into it. It was a simple mistake, certainly not "a ruined vacation". Having a heart attack, getting a call that your house just burned down etc....that would spoil a vacation. An accounting error? Not so much.

I think that this was all done innocently by the other party; at least I want to believe that.;) Sometimes we have had a credit on our account from OBC for booking, Visa certificates, Price drops where OBC was given etc or maybe they thought they just overpaid and it was a credit from that. Maybe they did ask guest relations and question it, at least that's what it sounded like to me. Now if the other couple did know and just spent it anyway, then I would be for having Royal charge them!:D

Your last sentence, all I can say is exactly!

Archived