Prepay tips

cruise kitty

I haven't yet cruised, but it is my understanding that HAL does automatically charge you for tips - I believe it is $11 per person per day - which is shared among the staff. You may wish to tip a little extra here and there - for instance for room service or at the end of the cruise to your steward or dining room waitstaff, if you feel the service was extra good.

If you search this forum, you will find some heated debate about extra tipping - many feel that the $11/per person/per day is plenty while others feel it falls short.

BTW, I'll be on the Oosterdam one week before you - I'm sailing 11/13. Can't wait! Enjoy your cruise! :)

Does anyone know if there is a way to prepay my tips on HAL? I searched their website, but could not find the info. It's just easier to have everything paid for upfront. thanks

Cannot prepay service charge (tips) but you can purchase Onboard Credits for yourself. These will go as a credit on your account against which the service charge will be applied.

If you want to pay for for your tips before you sail, just log in to the HAL site > go to your account > My Reservations (toolbar on left) > Purchase (green button) > click the "Indulgences" button > Shipboard Credit (toolbar on left) > buy the amount you wish to cover tips, or anything else you want. The amounts of shipboard credits are in $5, $25, $50 and $100 increments. Mix and match to get the amount you want. These will be a credit to your onboard account, against which your tips will be charged.

Thanks, everyone, sounds like pre-buying some extra OBC is the way to go, we already have some from our booking, but I'll just buy a bit more..our anniversary is in a few days...maybe I should hint to the kids;)

WHAT A GREAT IDEA! What better gift could they find?:) Think I'll hint to mine too!:D:D

Great idea -- anyone have an extra child I can temporarily adopt?? :D

Looks like my attempt to help about prepay tips was off the mark. I better stick to reading the posts and not trying to "help" until I have some experience under my belt! Good thing other experienced cruisers answered correctly! :)

Thanks, everyone, sounds like pre-buying some extra OBC is the way to go, we already have some from our booking, but I'll just buy a bit more..our anniversary is in a few days...maybe I should hint to the kids;)

WHAT A GREAT IDEA! What better gift could they find?:) Think I'll hint to mine too!:D:D

Great idea -- anyone have an extra child I can temporarily adopt?? :D

Why even tell your kids you're going on a cruise. They'll want to come! ;)

I tried to prepay as well from my TA. They said HAL doesn't do that. This info is very helpful. Also, someone told me that credits you get when booking can sometimes not be used for tipping. You may want to check.

Archived