Chef's Dinner alternatives

MichTraveler

Last month on the Golden, one of the MDR menus was "Chef's Dinner". It seemed the chef chose a few items and the menu was much more limited than most nights. I reviewed and we ended up in the HC that night because I am a picky eatter. I can usually find something good every night, but that menu was too limited for me. Was this limited to just the Golden, just Alaska, or should I expect a Chef's Dinner night on future ships and cruises? The "available every night" items were not listed, but could I have ordered thoses entrees anyway?

It seems like you have a few options..

Even if you didn't see them listed, the always available are just that and can be ordered from your waiter.

If you talk to the Maitre D the night before a custom item can be ordered for that night. You can request the next nights menu before you leave from dinner the night before, and check it then to be sure there is something you eat.

Your other options would HC, as you did before, or check out one of the specialty resturants, although they would have an additional charge.

It seems like you have a few options..

Even if you didn't see them listed, the always available are just that and can be ordered from your waiter.

If you talk to the Maitre D the night before a custom item can be ordered for that night. You can request the next nights menu before you leave from dinner the night before, and check it then to be sure there is something you eat.

Your other options would HC, as you did before, or check out one of the specialty resturants, although they would have an additional charge.

Should be other options. As stated, all you have to do is inquire.....:):):)

Bob

I believe that the Chef's Dinner is part of the usual 7 day menu rotation. I too was surprised when I saw less choices on this menu. I asked our waiter if the Alternative Choices were available and was told they were.

I ordered my appetizers from the alternative menu and the scallops afrom the Chef's Dinner and they were delicious. I usually have difficulty choosing from all the selections but this is one menu that didn't have many for me to personally choose from.

I guess it's a matter of personal tastes.

On another thread, a link for the 7 day menu was posted and the Chef's Dinner is on the rotation.

KP 7D Caribbean.pdf

Since the Rack of Lamb is featured on the Chef's Menu, I look forward to this dinner on every Princess cruise. On the CB last week, I also asked for a few scallops because they are no longer on the Landfall menu. I also like the Stilton cheese that is served after dinner on Chef's night :)

Bon Appetit!

Chris

Mmmm, I always have a hard time choosing between the scallops and the sea bass. The Chef's Dinner also has the Goat Cheese Souffle. I could make an entire meal out of just that! That's one of my favourite nights in the Dining Room.

On another thread, a link for the 7 day menu was posted and the Chef's Dinner is on the rotation.

KP 7D Caribbean.pdf

Is this a current menu? DD has shellfish/seafood allergies AND is a teen who is somewhat picky so I like to make sure there is a decent soup and entree option for her each night. thanks!

I noticed the Chef's Dinner popping up mid-week on my last two cruises. I was pretty disappointed the first time...I'm not real adventurous when it comes to food. Because the "always availables" were not printed on the special menu I didn't know they were available, but my waiter took care of me and saw to it that I got my fill of "normal" food.

The second time, I didn't realize it was Chef's Dinner night until after I'd gotten to the dining room. For whatever reason (half a bottle of wine?) that time I just figured, "what the heck" and started started ordering things I wouldn't normally have ever eaten.

It was, without a doubt, the best MDR dinner I've ever had on a Princess ship! I'm looking forward to the next one on my March cruise!

Judy

Is this a current menu? DD has shellfish/seafood allergies AND is a teen who is somewhat picky so I like to make sure there is a decent soup and entree option for her each night. thanks!

It looks pretty current to me; they don't change that quickly and it was what we had on our cruise in Dec/Jan.

If she's really picky, there's also a kid's menu, which anyone can order from. It has spaghetti and meatballs, chicken fingers, a hot dog, and I forget the other couple of options. Plus an awesome banana split/sundae concoction for dessert, known as the Volcano. Even I, not really an ice cream eater, loved it! And it has absolutely no seafood in it!

Unfortunately, the Chef's dinner is on every cruise. (I am not a fan of the limited choices either!) You can order from the alternative menu or skip the MDR and head to the specialty restaurants.

The menu posted above is current, we saw the same one on our July cruise. With the exception of the replacement of one entree, it hasn't changed since we started sailing Princess.

Archived