why do americans dress like tourists?

stillwaters

We are tourists. Many places like and want tourists. How many people here dress in a loin cloth only when in Africa in a village? When taking an Alaska cruise do you make sure you dress like an Eskimo?

Like others have said a camera, map, and guide book sort of makes us look like a tourist.

Why don't we stop wearing bright white walking shoes and windbreakers?? Lets try to blend in with others.

I don't see any reason to apologize or make excuses for being an American, owning walking shoes (for comfort) or windbreakers. I'm a tourist there, and they are tourists here. So what.

OK..So I dont normally take a windbreaker on a cruise. But I am guilty of wearing white tennis shoes....

What color shoes do you reccomend? Im taking another cruise in a few weeks..Just want to "blend in", even though that would be hard with me being the only one on the ship in a Kilt.:D

If we could all agree that men shouldn't wear black knee-high socks and shorts we could make tremendous progress towards international harmony.

Let's be fair - I agree that men should not wear black knee high socks with shorts (especially if plaid) but shouldn't women abstain from skin-tight slacks that show every panty-line and crease?

Why don't we stop wearing bright white walking shoes and windbreakers?? Lets try to blend in with others.

i know what white walking shoes are because i wear them. what the h#*l is a windbreaker???????????? i may wear one and not even know what it is....:confused:

i know what white walking shoes are because i wear them. what the h#*l is a windbreaker???????????? i may wear one and not even know what it is....:confused:

Nylon or polyester spring (light) jacket. You've never heard of a windbreaker?

(Though I wasn't aware that only Americans wear them, my husband has a really nice one he bought while we were on vacation in Ireland in May, it wasn't purchased in a 'tourist' shop, but in a regular sporting-goods store, so it was marketed to the locals.)

No. That was me. The one in the Chicago Blackhawks hat..... ;)

Congratulations on your Cup.

As soon as you open your mouth in Europe, they know you're a tourist even if you try very hard to speak their language. It is more important when being a tourist not to be obnoxious, try to learn a few phrases in the native language (especially please and thank you) and to protect your valuables.

Congratulations on your Cup.

As soon as you open your mouth in Europe, they know you're a tourist even if you try very hard to speak their language. It is more important when being a tourist not to be obnoxious, try to learn a few phrases in the native language (especially please and thank you) and to protect your valuables.

Everyone knows that if you speak slowly and loud enough, EVERYONE understands English!

Everyone knows that if you speak slowly and loud enough, EVERYONE understands English!

Luddite... Thanks, it was a long time coming!

Funny you should mention the "loud" thing. Seems every time we go to Europe I get stopped 3 or 4 times by people asking "DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH". To which I reply in my best "foreign" accent "Ja, Ja"..... Then again I don't know why they ask me because DH is standing there in his Dockers and polo shirt!

Luddite... Thanks, it was a long time coming!

Funny you should mention the "loud" thing. Seems every time we go to Europe I get stopped 3 or 4 times by people asking "DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH". To which I reply in my best "foreign" accent "Ja, Ja"..... Then again I don't know why they ask me because DH is standing there in his Dockers and polo shirt!

Nice! :D

220px-Windbreaker_Jacket%2C_Hood_Outside.jpg

I doubt that as a 5'9" pale woman with blue eyes, carrying a camera and a canvas tote bag, getting off a cruise ship with 2500+ other people I could be mistaken for a local in the Caribbean or Mexico, regardless of what I wear.

Nylon or polyester spring (light) jacket. You've never heard of a windbreaker?

(Though I wasn't aware that only Americans wear them, my husband has a really nice one he bought while we were on vacation in Ireland in May, it wasn't purchased in a 'tourist' shop, but in a regular sporting-goods store, so it was marketed to the locals.)

yes i do know what a spring jacket is, i have a few. when i purchased these at a clothing store they are always called a JACKET. windbreaker is something i never seen labeled in our clothing stores. must be a southern or western USA thing. i honestly have never seen a piece of clothing labeled as a windbreaker. i guess i am now officially a tourist, because i own and wear both...

Not quite so -- the height of fashion is for the knee socks to match the Bermuda shorts - which are very rarely (if ever) black.

I guess my two years and two 6 month deployments of living there must have me confused as to what I remember about how men dress in Bermuda. :confused:

Archived