why do americans dress like tourists?

stillwaters

My wife calls me a windbreaker...;)

Thanks for the giggle :D

Only if it's a Member's Only windbreaker from the 80's. And it has to be black. OK, I guess LaCoste would work too.

I'd think a Members Only windbreaker would be valuable these days...a collectors item.

Lacoste is a high end clothing and accessory company, still very much in business and sold at places like Saks, Bergdorfs, plus throughout Europe. So, if you were to purchase Lacoste clothing, you possibly would blend in while visiting Europe. We had available in our luggage store a couple years ago some Lacoste bags, they didn't sell except to European tourists...they loved it because they could buy for less than their own country.

The funny thing is, we get a lot of European customers in our store and can tell them apart (at times) because they are wearing bright colors, athletic shoes, jackets, mens cross-body bags. Stuff that most American men would never wear.

The funny thing is, we get a lot of European customers in our store and can tell them apart (at times) because they are wearing bright colors, athletic shoes, jackets, mens cross-body bags. Stuff that most American men would never wear.

Kind of like those skimpy little Speedos that overweight European men cram themselves into. Why don't we start a post on that?

Funny I can spot a European or Asian just as easy, do you suggest they dres like Americans when in American. I've often wondered why they were such "uncomfortable" shoes, can't wait to see how their back, feet and such are in 30 years ;)

Why don't we stop wearing bright white walking shoes and windbreakers?? Lets try to blend in with others.

If someone chooses to dislike an American because they 'dress American' they would choose to dislike them anyway...... there'd be another reason; any reason. There is anti-Americanism in the world and that is just the way it is.

All any individual can do to present the best 'face' of Americans is to be courteous and respectful in a foreign country/culture. Learn what you can before you travel and follow the lead of others who 'know'. If your running shoes are going to get you disliked, there probably was little hope of you being liked in the first place.

JMO......

Kind of like those skimpy little Speedos that overweight European men cram themselves into. Why don't we start a post on that?
You can always spot a Frenchman at the beach. He's the guy wearing a speedo, a Mickey Mouse shirt, and carrying an over-the-shoulder bag.

We can always tell who is from Europe when we have meetings because they invariably show up wearing puke-green sweaters. Is that a national color over there?

You can always spot a Frenchman at the beach. He's the guy wearing a speedo, a Mickey Mouse shirt, and carrying an over-the-shoulder bag.

We can always tell who is from Europe when we have meetings because they invariably show up wearing puke-green sweaters. Is that a national color over there?

Good grief- whatever business is that you're in, that we have to wear a puke green sweater every time?

Jo.

Ya know what though, I kinda agree with the OP. Fashion sneakers don't take up any more space than bright white sneakers,
Fashion sneakers? Isn't that an oxymoron?
While on another board the posters would agree, "yes we much respect the other countries...when in Rome...stop wearing the walking shoes and windbreakers and put on your black tux!"
I totally agree that travelers should choose clothing that is respectful of other cultures: That might mean that a woman would wear a head covering in a church or might avoid scanty items in more conservative areas. Failing to behave respectfully is crass and vulgar and earns all too many people the title "Ugly American".

However, I don't think this thread was meant to be about fashion choices rather than acceptable ettiquette. In most places, athletic shoes might be unfashionable, but they are not insulting to the residents.

Only if it's a Member's Only windbreaker from the 80's. And it has to be black.
Man, oh, man, did I ever LOVE that jacket. But mine was red.
We shouldn't kid ourselves, take off the sneakers, windbreakers and fanny packs, there are still many, many attributes that just scream American to any eurocriminal, in the same way that Protestants and Catholics can distinguish each other in N Ireland, when they may all look alike to us. So, why worry about any of it, I for one, want to be recognized as US in other countries. But, at the same time I don't want to project clueless and overaffluent, but rather aware of my surroundings and not any easy mark - no wallet, expensive watch, loose camera or bag, etc.
Yeah, for example, as soon as we open our mouths and speak in an American accent!

How could tourists who have never visited a country before possibly know what the locals wear and dress accordingly? Furthermore, the tourists might not physically look like the locals no matter who is wearing what.

Its called research! my wife and I blended in in spain for 9 days. didnt have any problems but those that looked like tourists, in shorts adn t shirts alot of them got ripped off mugged etc! they are targeted! we had no problems! NONE! now in the caribean it was difficult to fit in because its so hot! I had to wear shirts and t shirts! HAD TOO! felt out of place in some of the ports but I didnt care cause I had 100 tourists behind me dressed the same as I! lol but yeah in europe it matters more!

Funny I can spot a European or Asian just as easy, do you suggest they dres like Americans when in American. I've often wondered why they were such "uncomfortable" shoes, can't wait to see how their back, feet and such are in 30 years ;)

This is the time of year our European Snowbirds return to Florida. I agree....the OP should start a thread on how to dress like an American. Love those socks and sandals.:D

:confused: Why do so many Europeans flock to U.S. every year to shop? They come here with empty suitcases to fill with U.S. 'hot items'. I personally have mailed Levi's to friends in Holland as a few years ago, they cost over $225 a pair they were in such demand. :eek:

Let's just hope it isn't white.

I noticed that the OP (the cruise expert with a grand total of 23 posts) never bothered to respond, or post again after starting this stir. When will all learn to recognize the obvious TROLL!!??

I wouldn't call the OP a troll - just someone with a rather mischievous sense of humor. After all the strategy worked.

If you want to get some good advise on how Americans can blend in, talk to the Army special forces.

Very good advice.

White tennies SCREAM USA, USA, USA. And not only are you targeted by the touts and thieves, but you are targeted by the radicals. I move rapidly away when I encounter groups with white tennies on.

This Spring, in Kuwait City, there was a large group of USA tourists in downtown. They didn't have to speak to know they were from the USA. How could you tell???-1. Almost ALL had on white tennies. 2. 50+ yo women dressed in mid thigh shorts and cap sleeved t shirts 3. Probably 40% had on fanny packs.

Don't think they weren't looked at by everyone in the area, including probably some of the radicalized fundamentalists. We were in another group-70% Americans, 20% Kuwaitis and the other 10% Philipinos, Indians and other assorted Arabs. We were having a business meeting in the cafe in the market. The proprietor thought we were all Europeans-we all had on long pants or skirts, long sleeved lightweight tops and loafers, walking shoes or something OTHER than those white tennies. Looked just like other business people in the area except those in native dress.

LOOSE THE WHITE TENNIES. Find some decent walking shoes, loafers or SOMETHING other than white tennies.

Very good advice.

White tennies SCREAM USA, USA, USA. And not only are you targeted by the touts and thieves, but you are targeted by the radicals. I move rapidly away when I encounter groups with white tennies on.

This Spring, in Kuwait City, there was a large group of USA tourists in downtown. They didn't have to speak to know they were from the USA. How could you tell???-1. Almost ALL had on white tennies. 2. 50+ yo women dressed in mid thigh shorts and cap sleeved t shirts 3. Probably 40% had on fanny packs.

Don't think they weren't looked at by everyone in the area, including probably some of the radicalized fundamentalists. We were in another group-70% Americans, 20% Kuwaitis and the other 10% Philipinos, Indians and other assorted Arabs. We were having a business meeting in the cafe in the market. The proprietor thought we were all Europeans-we all had on long pants or skirts, long sleeved lightweight tops and loafers, walking shoes or something OTHER than those white tennies. Looked just like other business people in the area except those in native dress.

LOOSE THE WHITE TENNIES. Find some decent walking shoes, loafers or SOMETHING other than white tennies.

Would CROCS be okay? LOL

Pearl

Would CROCS be okay? LOL

Pearl

Depends on where you are going. The Caribbean-OK. Europe or any place outside of the Caribbean-screams USA, USA, USA.

I personally don't want to be targeted as an American in certain places. I wear Bass loafers at all times when out of the USA (very homogeneous). Just my personal safety thing and I spend a lot of time in places no American tourist normally goes.

Just the people from continental Europe. People from the UK dress just like Americans. :)

I'm glad about that....not having a fashion bone in my body, I carefully studied what people were wearing in Disney to cope with hot weather.

Now I wear white leather shoes and white cotton socks on all my cruise excursions, and have never felt more comfortable.

Even worse...they fasten with Velcro....:)

Jo.

Just the people from continental Europe. People from the UK dress just like Americans. :)

UK people sure do not dress like Americans- they are generally the worst dressed people in Europe (except for the public school types) -especially their shoes. Take a look when you ride the London Underground - or just walk along the street. They're either very formal or utterly slovenly -- very much a reflection of the class system which pervades their supposedly egalitarian society.

I'm glad about that....not having a fashion bone in my body, I carefully studied what people were wearing in Disney to cope with hot weather.

Now I wear white leather shoes and white cotton socks on all my cruise excursions, and have never felt more comfortable.

Even worse...they fasten with Velcro....:)

Jo.

Way to go Jo!!!!

Archived