why do americans dress like tourists?

stillwaters

I think a lot of people are overlooking the real terrorist possibilities in the world today. And taking the issue of clothing to "blend in" with a grain of salt.

In the Caribbean, wear what you want. But with the real possibility of "hit and run" terrorist attacks in Europe (particularly airports, shopping malls and tourist sites), think about it realistically. If you were a terrorist, would you pick out the group that looked like Americans or looked like Russians/Europeans (it would be hard to tell if both groups were dressed in the same all black outfits)? The answer is pretty obvious.

Think about your personal safety. Maybe I have listened to too many safety briefings in the last 18 months with my Middle East business travel. But I DO take it seriously.

As someone posted, take a look at US Special Forces (and even regular Army) for ideas to blend in. The world can be a very dangerous place, particularly for American tourists. Why make yourself an OBVIOUS target??

<snip>

Think about your personal safety. Maybe I have listened to too many safety briefings in the last 18 months with my Middle East business travel. But I DO take it seriously.

As someone posted, take a look at US Special Forces (and even regular Army) for ideas to blend in. The world can be a very dangerous place, particularly for American tourists. Why make yourself an OBVIOUS target??

Greamam,

Of course, you make a good point but let's not forget there have certainly been European targets of terrorism, and in India and Asia etc ....... not just American.

Greamam,

Of course, you make a good point but let's not forget there have certainly been European targets of terrorism, and in India and Asia etc ....... not just American.

Did the terrorists NOT go after Westerners in Bali? Yes-the hotel that was bombed was a favorite of Aussies and Kiwis (hence, it was a defined target). Did the terrorists not go after Westerners in Mumbai? Yes-again a hotel that is heavily populated by Westerners (again, a specified target) And of course the bombings repeatedly in Europe which affected many different nationalities but primarily Europeans.

Again, I ask the question-why would you make yourself an OBVIOUS target when it is so easily remedied just by changing your shoes and maybe wearing a little less obvious clothing (like Packers, Bears, Jets, Nascar, etc T-shirts and shorts).

A Colonel whose specialty is counter terrorism and always gives the first safety briefing for new arrivals in Afghanistan (both military and contractors) puts it very eloquently (paraphrased)-"they" have a pretty good idea that most in country are from the USA. "YOU" are the target. A few words in a foreign language "they" do not speak may keep you safe (he recommends Portuguese or Swedish-don't try Russian). Some of those "ugly" European shoes may keep you safe. Put on a Dallas Cowboys jacket/t-shirt and get yourself killed.

I heed his advice.

I think a lot of people are overlooking the real terrorist possibilities in the world today. And taking the issue of clothing to "blend in" with a grain of salt.

I can't think of any specific acts or terrorism that are so random as you suggest. They are premeditated and not, "hey, let's go after the guy with the shorts and Nikes".

If I am ever at THAT point, I'll just stay home.

It, indeed, sounds like very good advice. Stay safe during your extensive travel. You go places I wouldn't dream of visiting and I salute you for it. I don't have the fortitude. Then again, I have no business that would bring me there.

Travel safely, everyone.

UK people sure do not dress like Americans- they are generally the worst dressed people in Europe (except for the public school types) -especially their shoes. Take a look when you ride the London Underground - or just walk along the street. They're either very formal or utterly slovenly -- very much a reflection of the class system which pervades their supposedly egalitarian society.

Gosh, that's telling us! It must be my velour track suit you've seen!:)

Jo.

I can't think of any specific acts or terrorism that are so random as you suggest. They are premeditated and not, "hey, let's go after the guy with the shorts and Nikes".

If I am ever at THAT point, I'll just stay home.

Guess my point went right over your head. As I posted previously, the large group of Americans in the Kuwait City market were such an obvious USA target that any half baked terrorist with an AK could have taken them all out and probably not hurt anyone else.

All the terror warnings now center around small arms, small bombs, grenades, etc. Shoot up a shopping mall, check-in area of an airport, a hotel lobby, throw grenades in a place frequented by those from the USA (much like Mumbai). So think about it realistically-if you were the terrorist waiting to go to Paradise, see your 72 virgins and get your parents paid a handsome sum for your "bravery " (stupidity, IMHO), would you yell "Allahu Akbar" and start shooting the Hungarian tour group or those in a tour group OBVIOUSLY from the USA???

It's all about radical fundamentalists' HATRED for the USA. They grab no glory shooting up a bunch of Hungarians.

Guess my point went right over your head. As I posted previously, the large group of Americans in the Kuwait City market were such an obvious USA target that any half baked terrorist with an AK could have taken them all out and probably not hurt anyone else.

All the terror warnings now center around small arms, small bombs, grenades, etc. Shoot up a shopping mall, check-in area of an airport, a hotel lobby, throw grenades in a place frequented by those from the USA (much like Mumbai). So think about it realistically-if you were the terrorist waiting to go to Paradise, see your 72 virgins and get your parents paid a handsome sum for your "bravery " (stupidity, IMHO), would you yell "Allahu Akbar" and start shooting the Hungarian tour group or those in a tour group OBVIOUSLY from the USA???

It's all about radical fundamentalists' HATRED for the USA. They grab no glory shooting up a bunch of Hungarians.

Paranoid point of view. Muslim terrorist shot up who ever are in the way. They will NOT just pick out what likes like tourists. Muslim terrorist actually kill lots of Muslims.

Also, tell me how you don't stand out as a tourist in Indonesia, India, Pakistan, China, etc.

So, if a terrorist were to get up to the observation room of the Eiffel tower in Paris the terrorist would only select and shoot Americans. Even though the French passed laws against Muslims they would only select Americans that dressed with tennis shoes? All other they would allow to exist before starting shooting knowing that they will also be killed. I don't think so.

I would like to hear how a white American tourist should dress in India so that they don't look like a tourist.

Maybe Greatam could tell us how they dress to not look like a tourist in India or Iran?

I'm glad about that....not having a fashion bone in my body, I carefully studied what people were wearing in Disney to cope with hot weather.

Now I wear white leather shoes and white cotton socks on all my cruise excursions, and have never felt more comfortable.

Even worse...they fasten with Velcro....:)

Jo.

My very favorite fellow cruisers were a large group of elderly English ladies wearing Hawaiian shirts (matching). I guess they looked like tourists but mostly they looked like they were having fun. Sorry but I didn't notice their footwear.

Greatam.

I appreciate your sharing your extensive and valuable experience. I know that you know of what you speak. Your business travel requires you be current and informed by knoweldgeable experts in their field. What you say is common sense and easy to accept as true. IMO

A Colonel whose specialty is counter terrorism and always gives the first safety briefing for new arrivals in Afghanistan (both military and contractors) puts it very eloquently (paraphrased)-"they" have a pretty good idea that most in country are from the USA. "YOU" are the target. A few words in a foreign language "they" do not speak may keep you safe (he recommends Portuguese or Swedish-don't try Russian). Some of those "ugly" European shoes may keep you safe. Put on a Dallas Cowboys jacket/t-shirt and get yourself killed.

I heed his advice.

Damn. Guess I'll be buying a speedo, Mickey Mouse shirt, and over-the-shoulder bag. They'll be too busy laughing to shoot straight.

Sorry, not to make light, but there is a big difference between being a tourist and being in-country on business. The attacks you mentioned were all aimed at the tourism industry...It doesn't matter how well you blend in when you are staying at the Hyatt, Intercontinental, or Four Seasons.

This thread had nothing to do with avoiding terrorism, it was about stereotypical American dress while on vacation. Like all stereotypes it over-generalizes, but it is also firmly based in reality.

I personally love how my dad has blended in for years......a massive, almost cartoonish map, really bad clip on sunglasses with (whatever that band is called that goes around the neck, usually neon) and a massive fanny pack that could rival the trunk space of a ford crown victoria.

Must have gone over my head because this is Cruise Critic and not too many are stopping in Kuwait City on cruises. :rolleyes: Obviously, next time I'm in Kuwait (NEVER), I will heed your good advice. :mad:

Sorry, not to make light, but there is a big difference between being a tourist and being in-country on business. The attacks you mentioned were all aimed at the tourism industry...It doesn't matter how well you blend in when you are staying at the Hyatt, Intercontinental, or Four Seasons.

This thread had nothing to do with avoiding terrorism, it was about stereotypical American dress while on vacation. Like all stereotypes it over-generalizes, but it is also firmly based in reality.

The same type of safety briefing is given in Kuwait and Dubai, minus the graphic description by Colonel R. And most Contractors live outside of Camp Arifjan in Kuwait City. So it is NOT just "in country" in a war zone where you are mostly "behind the wire" and have not a lot of freedom to be off base unless your particular job demands it. The briefings are meant to keep AMERICANS (particularly US military contractors) SAFE in all situations, no matter where they are in the world. From people I work with, the same type of briefings are given in Kosovo and Bosnia-Hertzogovenia, where there hasn't been a shot fired for years in a "war" type situation. The overriding thought is "tone it down, blend in".

Ripped from the headlines this morning:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/yemen/80580

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/10/11/2010-10-11_terror_threat_to_restaurants_as_al_qaeda_calls_for_attacks_on_government_workers.html

Blowing up the Empire State Building, blowing up the tunnels into Manhattan, hitting the Eiffel Tower are now almost passe in Al Queda's mind. It is hit and run, guerrilla warfare that could be so devastating to all places in the world. It is certainly a lot easier for a terrorist to get from a terror camp in Yemen to Europe/Asia than to the USA (unless of course, they are USA citizens). So again, I ask, why make yourself such an OBVIOUS target when a change of shoes and loosing some of the "American" types of clothing is so darn easy???

It is not just terrorists I am preaching about-touts and criminals look for the "easy" American targets too-you should have heard all the Phillipino/Indian Contractors working in Kuwait when they found out a Crystal ship was going to dock in Kuwait City-"easy pickings" was what I heard over and over. I wonder how many got ripped off with $40-50 taxi rides from where the cruise ship docked to downtown where the market is-it is about 2+ miles and a normal Kuwaiti taxi charges $10-15.

I'm off my soapbox. LOOSE THE WHITE TENNIES.

Must have gone over my head because this is Cruise Critic and not too many are stopping in Kuwait City on cruises. :rolleyes: Obviously, next time I'm in Kuwait (NEVER), I will heed your good advice. :mad:

Crystal was in Kuwait City this Spring and RCCL and one of the European lines (P & O or Peter Dielmann) are possibly going there next year or in 2012. But the same advice applies to Eqypt (where there are a lot of cruise ships), Turkey (again a lot of cruise ships) and most of Europe, where there are a LOT of terrorists.

That does it. I'm staying home. :eek:

(Kidding.........)

I have no intention of giving up doing the things I love but there is not a chance in the world, I'll plant myself in Kuwait in this life time. But I have found this conversation interesting and have learned from it.

They will know you're american or western in Istanbul/Ephesus no matter how you dress. I dressed like a tourist for comfort and felt welcome there (did the driver guide thing). But, as others have written here, when it gets to the point where I might get even a little concerned about terrorism in a certain country, I'll stay home. As for Italy, France, Greece, Spain, and Turkey, I am not going to try to blend in.

I travel quite a bit for both business and pleasure, and I think some are missing the point just a bit.

I don't think it is impossible to "blend in" in many major tourist destinations. For example, you don't necessarily have to look like a "native Italian" to blend in in cities like Rome -- there are Roman residents from all over the world. Does one assume every Asian person one sees in NYC is a tourist? Of course not!

One doesn't have to look like an Italian in order to look as if one "belongs" in Rome. I don't look Italian in the least, yet I've been addressed in Italian many times in shops, stores, restaurants, museums -- even by other Americans looking for directions! Looking like you know where you're headed (e.g., walking with purpose), not walking around with a map (or a camera around your neck), and dressing in a way that is appropriate for the environment is key. When in Rome (or Barcelona, or Istanbul, or Paris), I dress in appropriate attire for a city: no shorts, no t-shirts with tourist destinations or American sayings, etc. I don't wear white tennis shoes anywhere -- or a windbreaker for that matter. I certainly don't wear heels, but my dark walking shoes are sturdy, comfortable, and perhaps a little more "European" looking.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying every tourist needs to do this. Some obviously have no interest in doing so. It doesn't bother me in the least, as long as people are dressed appropriately when visiting places that do have dress requirements -- such as churches or mosques. However, for ME, I feel that "blending in" serves two purposes. One, I am not immediately identified as a "tourist" -- thus, I am not handed the tourist menu in a restaurant, for example, or given the "tourist price" when I ask "How much?" Two, I am not immediately targeted by pickpocketers or other petty criminals as someone who is less aware/familiar with their surroundings.

Cynthia, Are you multi-lingual? That certainly would help.

It is has been suggested to us in the past to carry a foreign (to us) language newspaper under our arm. If in Rome, don't carry International Herald Tribune. Tuck a copy of Il Messaggero under your arm. :)

Cynthia, Are you multi-lingual? That certainly would help.

It is has been suggested to us in the past to carry a foreign (to us) language newspaper under our arm. If in Rome, don't carry International Herald Tribune. Tuck a copy of Il Messaggero under your arm. :)

I'm not multilingual, but I have learned the basics in several languages where I travel most -- Italian (I'm currently learning more), Spanish, French, Greek.....even a little Japanese. I am still working on Arabic and Turkish; the pronunciation is difficult to get right. Perhaps I'm helped by the fact that I'm often traveling on my own; thus, restaurant and shop owners don't hear me speaking another language as I approach.

Love the newspaper idea!

Archived