why do americans dress like tourists?

stillwaters

:) I have traveled widely over the years. I spent many months in Rome, dressed the American I am. At one point a young Italian woman friend, nicely dressed in a new outfit, asked us "Do I look like an American?" This was the look she was trying to acheive. We said, "but why would you want to?'

Another gentleman, trying to look American, appeared in RR striped overalls (over fitted), plaid shirt and white tennies. He was sure he had the American look. WE had to stiffle a giggle. Over the years in Italy there were many fads that no american attemped, lace shirts, plaid shirts, Fruit of the Loom stamped shirts, men with tight jeans bleached at the crotch. Which of these trendy looks should we have emulated to fit in?

That's a pretty bad generalization, imho. I've seen persons from all nations wearing what you've described. Have you ever been to a place that's visited by persons of multiple nations? I have, such as Buckingham Palace, St Peter's Square and Tiananmen Square and every single tourist looked the same, and I could not tell who was American or Canadian, or French or Spanish or Dutch or whatever. Sorry, but your generalization doesn't cut it.

I agree with you. Plus I have noticed on our trips to European cities that even the locals have adopted this casual style of dressing.

I noticed it because I have avoided jeans and tennis shoes for years both at home and when traveling. Years ago, I felt I blended in more than I do these days. I'm just not a jeans and tennis shoe fan, so I guess I will continue what I am doing.

Crystal was in Kuwait City this Spring and RCCL and one of the European lines (P & O or Peter Dielmann) are possibly going there next year or in 2012. But the same advice applies to Eqypt (where there are a lot of cruise ships), Turkey (again a lot of cruise ships) and most of Europe, where there are a LOT of terrorists.

Peter Dielmann River cruises is no longer sailing due to bankruptcy (news from 2009). I don't think they have other ships (non-river cruises) that are currently sailing.

I'm sure we can avoid the white tennis shoes and shirts with American slogans, but seriously...we aren't going to avoid the tourist attractions, having a camera and last but not least, speaking our native language with our regional accents. We are there to see the usual tourist attractions and we aren't usually there solo and we usually stay in a hotel frequented by Americans so what's the point??? We dress like Americans because we ARE American. I don't have any intention of not taking photos, not going to tourist attractions, not speaking English and not staying at a nice hotel so I guess I'm screwed.

I'm getting a kick out of this thread the same as I always chuckle when someone will very seriously tell me they stay away from the tourist trap type places in Rome, Paris, London etc Well, ahhhh, why did you come to these high tourist cities if not to see what it is that is the drawing millions to view the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Big Ben or St. Peter's? It always amazes me the 'superiority' they feel they are conveying by implying they are 'above' doing touristy things. May as well stay home and look at photos of the Coliseum on your computer. :eek:

My favorite is when someone complains about a place having too many tourists when it's gone completely over their head that THEY were there.:p:D

I have had three codes of travel......1) when flying dress one more level up than what you would normally be dressed.

2) When cruising be as creative as you want

3) When on land, wear good walking shoes, comfortable clothes and to He** what any one thinks.:)

I noticed that the OP (the cruise expert with a grand total of 23 posts) never bothered to respond, or post again after starting this stir. When will all learn to recognize the obvious TROLL!!??

Just like throwing meat into the wolves den! :rolleyes:

Greatam.

I appreciate your sharing your extensive and valuable experience. I know that you know of what you speak. Your business travel requires you be current and informed by knoweldgeable experts in their field. What you say is common sense and easy to accept as true. IMO

Agreed. I am very proud to be an American. I also understand the dangers. Why stand out if you can make such tiny adjustments to blend in.

OK, lets assume you were not joking or trying to get a reaction. Why exactly, OP, do we want to blend in with the locals? Please explain.

Short Answer: Americans are THE prime Target for terrorists and areas We frequent whilst touristy are the areas targeted. Case in point.. That Club in Bali ( I think, ) that was bombed a few years ago was the known hangout for AUS tourists and US military personnel. DH was in that club a mere three weeks before it was attacked when his ship pulled in for a port call.

bottom line, we need to do more to blend in for our own safety. Sure, its hard for my 6ft tall redheaded spouse to disappear in Okinawa, his current duty station, but he still needs to try and be as inconspicuous as he can.

What exactly do you suggest be worn "to Blend in" as you propose. I would be curious to find out what brought this on :confused:

the unofficial dress code for US Navy personnel visiting a foreign port is as follows:

COLLARED shirt

Slacks( dockers or khakis are acceptable, denim in any form less so although only torn or frayed are verboten)

Sporty shoes or sneakers. Sandals are okay, Flip Flops ain't.

Ball caps are.. discouraged. but other headgear is fine. DH has one of those floppy Austrailian outback hats he wears

Short Answer: Americans are THE prime Target for terrorists and areas We frequent whilst touristy are the areas targeted. Case in point.. That Club in Bali ( I think, ) that was bombed a few years ago was the known hangout for AUS tourists and US military personnel. DH was in that club a mere three weeks before it was attacked when his ship pulled in for a port call.

bottom line, we need to do more to blend in for our own safety. Sure, its hard for my 6ft tall redheaded spouse to disappear in Okinawa, his current duty station, but he still needs to try and be as inconspicuous as he can.

Thank you for posting this. Americans ARE the PRIME TARGET and so many seem to disregard this. The radical fanatics really have no desire to kill Russians, Hungarians, Italians, Greeks, Asians, etc., etc. They get no "bonus" points in their way of thinking. But kill an American, a Brit, an Israeli, now a French or German-72 virgins in Paradise, glory and martyrdom and a HEFTY payment to their parents. What a warped way of thinking but it is truly what they believe.

Question: Does the Navy allow WHITE tennis shoes off the ship? Army/Marines/Air Force are forbidden to wear white tennis specifically in the Middle East and are highly discouraged from wearing them other places. In fact, in the PX at Camp Arifjan, Kuwait, the white tenni's even have a sign over them-NOT FOR OFF BASE USE.

Thank you for posting this. Americans ARE the PRIME TARGET and so many seem to disregard this. The radical fanatics really have no desire to kill Russians, Hungarians, Italians, Greeks, Asians, etc., etc. They get no "bonus" points in their way of thinking. But kill an American, a Brit, an Israeli, now a French or German-72 virgins in Paradise, glory and martyrdom and a HEFTY payment to their parents. What a warped way of thinking but it is truly what they believe.

Question: Does the Navy allow WHITE tennis shoes off the ship? Army/Marines/Air Force are forbidden to wear white tennis specifically in the Middle East and are highly discouraged from wearing them other places. In fact, in the PX at Camp Arifjan, Kuwait, the white tenni's even have a sign over them-NOT FOR OFF BASE USE.

You are saying that the terrorists will never again blow up subways stations in England or Spain and will only target people that they can identify as Americans.

There will be no more blowing up airplanes that come from overseas since there could be French people on it and the Muslims only want to kill Americans. What I don't understand is why there is a warning for France. Again, no worry for France since only Americans will be targeted and no French person wearing jeans and tennis show will be harmed.

Nothing further will happen like in India where only 4 Americans were killed out of 166 killed and this was an attack with guns and not bombs.

Americans that dress like the French have no worry about being killed. The terrorists will not target tourist spots, but only individual Americans. No more suicide bombers to worry about in Europe.

Likewise, I have seen a lot of Italians that dress in jeans and Skechers when I have been in Rome and in Prague.

You are saying that the terrorists will never again blow up subways stations in England or Spain and will only target people that they can identify as Americans.

There will be no more blowing up airplanes that come from overseas since there could be French people on it and the Muslims only want to kill Americans. What I don't understand is why there is a warning for France. Again, no worry for France since only Americans will be targeted and no French person wearing jeans and tennis show will be harmed.

Nothing further will happen like in India where only 4 Americans were killed out of 166 killed and this was an attack with guns and not bombs.

Americans that dress like the French have no worry about being killed. The terrorists will not target tourist spots, but only individual Americans. No more suicide bombers to worry about in Europe.

Likewise, I have seen a lot of Italians that dress in jeans and Skechers when I have been in Rome and in Prague.

Did you even read the response that you quoted? Greatam clearly says "But kill an American, a Brit, an Israeli, now a French or German-72 virgins in Paradise, glory and martyrdom and a HEFTY payment to their parents."

:rolleyes:

Did you even read the response that you quoted? Greatam clearly says "But kill an American, a Brit, an Israeli, now a French or German-72 virgins in Paradise, glory and martyrdom and a HEFTY payment to their parents."

:rolleyes:

Read back and you find that he said only people in white tennis shoes are the target.

I am just pointing out how stupid all this is about blending in and you won't have to worry about terrorists.

Terrorist terrorize and don't care if you have white tennis shoes or not. You will find that Muslim terrorist kill more Muslims than anything else.

Greatam has said a lot of incorrect things and several others have agreed with him.

I am just pointing out that having on tennis shoes will not get you killed. And that so far Muslim terrorist have not picked out people wearing tennis shoe to kill. Even in the USA the Muslim terrorist have not just killed people that are only Americans.

The initial assumption was that if you dress like the French do when in France the terrorists will not target you. Now it seem what is being said is you should not dress like the French when in France because the French are being targeted. Likewise Germans, etc. So, the basic argument that you should blend in is false according to Greatam.

So, I guess the bottom line is that you should dress like you would blend in Iran.

So, remember on your next cruise to the Caribbean dress like you would being a Muslim in Iran. This will cut down on the how much to pack since a black hijab will be the dress all time no need to change for formal night. No more bathing suits.

I shall ask DH. when I was living in Yokosuka there were no such restrictions( and we were there in 2001) on foot wear but then again, Japan hates us less....

Statisticly you are far much more likely to be killed in an auto accident than a terroristic action. I would be more fearful of that crazy taxi driver than an "international incident".

while that may be true, why take the risk of skewing your odds?

Here is a clip from the Britcom "Keeping Up Appearances". It's about a woman who thinks she's better than everyone. You will notice that they are on the QE2, that everyone is British, yet Hyacinth is wearing a "windbreaker" jogging suit AND white trainers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4hhlSFMPfA

So where you got the idea that windbreakers are just an American thing is beyond me.

Read back and you find that he said only people in white tennis shoes are the target.

I am just pointing out how stupid all this is about blending in and you won't have to worry about terrorists.

Terrorist terrorize and don't care if you have white tennis shoes or not. You will find that Muslim terrorist kill more Muslims than anything else.

Greatam has said a lot of incorrect things and several others have agreed with him.

I am just pointing out that having on tennis shoes will not get you killed. And that so far Muslim terrorist have not picked out people wearing tennis shoe to kill. Even in the USA the Muslim terrorist have not just killed people that are only Americans.

The initial assumption was that if you dress like the French do when in France the terrorists will not target you. Now it seem what is being said is you should not dress like the French when in France because the French are being targeted. Likewise Germans, etc. So, the basic argument that you should blend in is false according to Greatam.

So, I guess the bottom line is that you should dress like you would blend in Iran.

So, remember on your next cruise to the Caribbean dress like you would being a Muslim in Iran. This will cut down on the how much to pack since a black hijab will be the dress all time no need to change for formal night. No more bathing suits.

You obviously have NO respect for the US Military or those trying to keep your butt safe. My recommendations are also THEIR recommendations as well as the US State Dept for their employees.

IF you only travel to the Caribbean, do what you want as I posted previously.

IF you are traveling worldwide (particularly Europe, Asia and the Middle East), loose the white tennis shoes, loose the T-shirts the read Dallas Cowboys, NY Jets, NASCAR, etc. etc. and loose the baseball hats, PARTICULARLY those that are worn backwards. Wear some "city clothes" (not shorts and t-shirts) and you pretty well blend in.

You sound like you work for Janet Napolitano or Tom Donilon-"our borders are secure, WE ARE SAFE"-"We have closed all the loopholes WORLDWIDE" as I watch illegals run through my backyard (100 miles WEST of PHOENIX). PURE BS and neither one has ANY idea what they are talking about. The Mexican cartels (who are now working HEAVILY with the radical fundamentalist jhaidis BECAUSE they are paying up to $20,000 PER PERSOn to be smuggled across the US border-far more than the normal $1000 for the Mexican immigrants) just bought a HUGE apartment building in San Diego to house the jihadis moving further into the USA. Too bad you have NO idea what is REALLY going on in the world at large.

Maybe you should get your news from someone OTHER than CNN/ABC/CBS/NBC. A subscription to Debka (Israeli Mossad for free for basic intel), Stratfor or Janes would get you the REAL picture.

Why would you NOT change your shoes and your t-shirt, quit wearing shorts in areas OTHER than the Caribbean and try to blend in??? This is beyond my belief.

PS I am a SHE and work all over the world-US Military contractor as well as the owner of an INTERNATIONAL logistics company that ships people and freight WORLDWIDE. I REALLY try to protect both my clients and my EMPLOYEES who travel to all parts of the world.

When touring' date=' I plan to wear a polo shirt and a pair of khaki cargo pants with something in each and every pocket. Can't go touring without all my 'stuff.' Will I stand out as a tourist?:rolleyes:[/quote']

Not unless you're also wearing your beer can helmet........

Archived