why do americans dress like tourists?

stillwaters

That's a pretty bad generalization, imho. I've seen persons from all nations wearing what you've described. Have you ever been to a place that's visited by persons of multiple nations? I have, such as Buckingham Palace, St Peter's Square and Tiananmen Square and every single tourist looked the same, and I could not tell who was American or Canadian, or French or Spanish or Dutch or whatever. Sorry, but your generalization doesn't cut it.

Purrrr-fectly said, Kitty! :D

want to dress like a stereotypical American, I have no problem with it

Neither do I... but... out of 300 million people, what is "the stereotypical American"?

The cliches mentioned before in this thread, backwards ball caps, NASCAR jackets etc. aren't usually found on Americans on foreign travels. And by that I mean places other than Carlos n' Charlie's at Cancun, mass-market Caribbean & Mexican riviera cruises etc.

The typical American visiting locations where you actually need a passport tend to dress fairly well, are well behaved, and mostly unassuming; blending well with the "typical" tourist from Germany, France, UK...

For those tourists fearful of their wardrobe making them a target of terrorists... well if you really need advice, the best advice is to stay home. But, tell that to those from New York, London, Madrid...

Sh!t happens. All the time. Wrong time, wrong place and it has nothing to do with how you dress. You can go anywhere, and all Americans can dress to not stand out, but it is still known they are American. It is all well and good to do your best to keep that bulls-eye off of your back, but at the end of the day, those that target are fanatics and aren't known for their clear thinking.

I've not worn a windbreaker in over 25 years and (to the best of my knowledge) have never worn white sneakers. Heck, I don't wear sneakers of any color. I will, without hesitation, conform to the areas that require certain dress, but I am not extreme in my dress or attitude and probably go unnoticed.

I'm puzzled as to what an "American dressed as a tourist" means. First of all, unless we're native to that country we're visiting, we are tourists. Secondly, I dress on a cruise much as I do on my day off - clean T-shirt, khakis or shorts, walking shoes. My wife pokes fun at the safari hat I sometimes wear (and yes, I do wear it around town, along with my waist pack!) but hey, I'm not sunburned on the head.

If it's a cold day I may throw on a polo shirt instead of a T-shirt. About the only difference between my day off here at home and being on a cruise is that I do shave when on the cruise. Not so much on a day off from work.

Secondly, have you seen the people visiting New York? They're pretty much dressed the way I described, too.

The only difference I may consciously make is not to wear anything with the flag of a country on it - no matter what the country.

I'm puzzled as to what an "American dressed as a tourist" means. First of all, unless we're native to that country we're visiting, we are tourists. Secondly, I dress on a cruise much as I do on my day off - clean T-shirt, khakis or shorts, walking shoes. My wife pokes fun at the safari hat I sometimes wear (and yes, I do wear it around town, along with my waist pack!) but hey, I'm not sunburned on the head.

If it's a cold day I may throw on a polo shirt instead of a T-shirt. About the only difference between my day off here at home and being on a cruise is that I do shave when on the cruise. Not so much on a day off from work.

Secondly, have you seen the people visiting New York? They're pretty much dressed the way I described, too.

The only difference I may consciously make is not to wear anything with the flag of a country on it - no matter what the country.

I've always suspected that the tourists are dressing like Americans, not the other way around.

Why don't we stop wearing bright white walking shoes and windbreakers?? Lets try to blend in with others.

Ok. I've been reading this thread since it started and I keep coming back to the same question. What exactly SHOULD we wear?

I just love my New Balance white walking shoes with the little pink ribbon. Hard to give that pink ribbon up. :) Perhaps pink tennis shoes? Black? Purple?

And the windbreaker...my goodness...such a useful object in a windy/rainy climate. Or is your problem with bright white windbreakers? Don't have one of those so I'm good to go there.

Can't imagine wearing a burqa, but I guess if in that part of the world I might. Definitely a head covering if that's the custom/requirement.

Wear a maple leaf and bring a hockey stick.

If I wear my maple leaf baseball cap backwards, does that count?:confused:

If I bring part of one of the sticks my grandsons broke (You would think at the price they charge for one they wouldn't break:rolleyes:) that would do?

One of our readhead friends tried to blend in in Namibia!:p You couldn't even get a setting on the camera that would show features on theirs faces without washing her face out!

We were sitting in this restaurant with a great view of all the tourists walking by. On such an occasion we always love to play the game "spot the nationality". Now remember that we could not hear them speak, it was purely on clothing and behaviour. The people that were an absolute no-brainer were the Americans. Yup, white tennis shoes and windbreakers. But also because they looked so lost, out of place and insecure. They were probably on a daytrip from one of the Danube river cruises. We saw this American woman, she must have been at least 85 years old wearing ill-fitting, far too large, bright white sneakers, and she could not walk with them because they were not right for her feet. Wearing what you like is one thing, but you have to also wear something befitting of your age and your body type, maybe matching the rest of your clothing, which actually fits your feet.

You can tell by the way that Japanese tour groups get clothing advice before they come to Europe. They always blend in very well, apart from their facial features and the fact that they travel in large groups of course.

The 'Five Flies' restaurant in Amsterdam in 1956 would put a cupcake type pastry on your table with a small flag of your country. In the dining room where we ate there must have been 6 different flags! The waiters could spot almost everyone, of course they asked for a drink order first so the accent and usage helped. 50+ years later,they have discontinued the practice. When I told out waiter I had eaten there many years before, he said he may have waited my table as he had worked there 45 years. Nice that some things remain the same, isn't it.:)

The Japs carry more cameras than the Americans usually.:rolleyes:

We were in Europe this summer walking behind the lady holding up a sign with a number on it with our Voxx hearing system carrying our camera in the middle of a group of other people doing the same thing. I really don't think it would make an ounce of difference what we were wearing we weren't going to fool anyone.

We were in Europe this summer walking behind the lady holding up a sign with a number on it with our Voxx hearing system carrying our camera in the middle of a group of other people doing the same thing. I really don't think it would make an ounce of difference what we were wearing we weren't going to fool anyone.

Not everyone takes the ship excursions....

My personal thoughts on this matter are -

1- Wear whatever you like and are comfortable in

2- Why is everyone so hung up on what others wear?

3- So what if we look like a tourist! Who are you trying to impress anyway!

But I did buy grey sneakers a few seasons back....

The 'Five Flies' restaurant in Amsterdam in 1956 would put a cupcake type pastry on your table with a small flag of your country. In the dining room where we ate there must have been 6 different flags! The waiters could spot almost everyone, of course they asked for a drink order first so the accent and usage helped. 50+ years later,they have discontinued the practice. When I told out waiter I had eaten there many years before, he said he may have waited my table as he had worked there 45 years. Nice that some things remain the same, isn't it.:)

The Japs carry more cameras than the Americans usually.:rolleyes:

???:eek:???

I think a reason most of us pack way too much is that we want to be able, in the first day or so, to be able to blend in with most of the other cruisers. Woe unto him without walking shorts when 80 percent of the other men are exposing their spindly shanks at the first port on the itinerary.

What's the deal with shorts? I haven't quite circled the globe yet but have done a fair amt of international travel, and, Surprise, people in other countries do wear shorts!

Not sure what the windbreaker thing is about, either. I don't generally wear one, and don't recall seeing Americans wearing windbreakers all over. Not even in America. :confused:

I think a reason most of us pack way too much is that we want to be able, in the first day or so, to be able to blend in with most of the other cruisers. Woe unto him without walking shorts when 80 percent of the other men are exposing their spindly shanks at the first port on the itinerary.

:confused: :confused: :confused: I do not plan my wardrobe based on what some other passenger might be wearing. I don't like wearing shorts and I could care less if I am the only one is long pants.

Nope, not me. Up until our last cruise, when it didn't make a difference whether or not it was carry on or check-in baggage (almost same fee), I packed for a 10-day cruise in a carry-on, not counting my suit. I dress comfortably, don't care what other people think. Even if that means wearing khakis even when it's 90 degrees out but I lessen the chance of being bitten by insects.

Take the NYC subway and see how the "non-american" tourist stand out. They are dress in sturdy walking shoes, layers of t shirts, jack shirts and jackets, and carry sturdy unstylish handbags and always have their maps and brochures in hand. You can pick them out of the crowds very easily.

Those who are heading to work etc, are dressed more urban, or stylish.

I think all travelers dress for comfort, and wear "adaptable" clothes.

Take the NYC subway and see how the "non-american" tourist stand out. They are dress in sturdy walking shoes, layers of t shirts, jack shirts and jackets, and carry sturdy unstylish handbags and always have their maps and brochures in hand. You can pick them out of the crowds very easily.

Those who are heading to work etc, are dressed more urban, or stylish.

I think all travelers dress for comfort, and wear "adaptable" clothes.

PRECISELY

When Americans go to Europe, Asia, Africa, etc. etc., they stick out like a sore thumb because of their WHITE TENNIS SHOES, shorts, fanny packs, windbreakers and the "lost look" on their faces,. DON'T THINK the terrorists, the criminals and touts are NOT watching. They PICK the groups they target.

IF you are only going to someplace in the Caribbean, this advise is NOT for you. Wear your shorts, you Hawaiian T shirts, your Tommy Bahama shirts, your flip flops. Have a ball (I don't cruise the Caribbean-never have been, never will )

The rest of the world-PAY ATTENTION. The world is NOT the glamorous place you think it is. It is DANGEROUS out there. There are terrorists, touts and criminals that are JUST WAITING for your "AMERICANISM". YOU (particularly AMERICANS) are a TARGET. PAY ATTENTION. Blending in is to YOUR benefit. LOOSE the shorts, the WHITE TENNIS SHOES, the windbreakers, the fanny packs, the Dodgers/Pats/Jets/any USA Rock or Country and Country/Western Concert t-shirt. You stick out like a sore thumb.

This from a frequent poster on CC about how LAME some in the USA are:

"I was in Lisbon, about a month ago on a public bus, taking a walking tour. I was shocked to see, two cruise passengers next to me. The man, "strightening" out stuff in his pockets. Proceeded to take out his passport, and wallet. Gave his wife some US money (have no clue why they thought they needed that??) then put the passport and wallet back into his back pocket. I did mention to them, they may want to keep a hand on the wallet and move it to the front, being that he had already shown everyone on the bus where it was. They shrugged their shoulders and moved it. Another couple behind them, standing there with their cruise cards hanging around their necks??? Not sure how much more of a "target" they could put up, on how ripe they were for pickpockets- a clear sign they were not going to have any time, reporting them or making police reports."

PLEASE protect yourself. PLEASE don't be the dummy that gets mugged, ripped off or otherwise threatened.

I travel the world for my business. I am a solo, 62yo woman. I have spent a lot of time in Afghanistan, Iraq (some of the most dangerous places in the world), also Kuwait, China, Vietnam, Cambodia and lots of places in South America. Quite a few are NOT the normal tour places. Am I afraid??? No, but I am cautious. I take care to NOT show my American pride. I blend in. I actually have to interact with the Pashtun warlords-I wear a scarf over my head-no one is the wiser that my hair is snow white naturally. I listen to the military planners. I take heed of their warnings. I DO NOT wear shorts, t-shirts with American sayings on them, fanny packs or WHITE TENNIS SHOES (dead giveaway). I am comfortable, neat and presentable for the State Dept and the US Military. Dockers, a polo shirt and Bass loafers work well for "generic dress" anyplace OTHER than the Middle East. In the Middle East, I wear long skirts (wrap arounds) and a long sleeved, very airy top plus the same Bass loafers (more for the weather than cultural mores, but I would still wear pants, a long sleeved light airy shirt and again, my Bass loafers). Works all the time. Often mistaken for someone working for one of the NGO's (non governmental organizations) which are from all over the world.

No tourist deals with what I deal with. But tourists would be wise to "tone it down, blend in". Your choice!!!

LOOSE the shorts, the WHITE TENNIS SHOES, the windbreakers, the fanny packs, the Dodgers/Pats/Jets/any USA Rock or Country and Country/Western Concert t-shirt.

If we are walking around naked, wouldn't that attract some unwanted attention, not to mention potentially scarring the kids?

Archived