To upgrade or not to upgrade that is the question....

Debaria

Hi I am completely new to cruising and going on my first cruise..ex Australia on the Rhapsody of the Seas. I am travelling by myself with my three children. I have booked a JS for my self and my youngest child (aged 11) and an inside cabin for my two older children (20 & 15). My 11 year old has shown great interest would like me to upgrade to a Grande suite. From what I can understand there does not seem to be any significant benefits from a JS. The room oops cabin does not seem that much bigger etc... I suppose I am really trying to justify to myself the considerable extra expense. I imagine some people may think that I could upgrade my daughters inside cabin - but if they are anything like they are at home then the blinds would be closed 24/7.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Ask yourself these questions:

Do you have the extra money for the cabin?

Is the GS in a better location?

Will you be spending a significant amount of time in the cabin that you and DS will need the extra space?

If you answer no to any of these questions, then you have your answer. Hope this helps.

With the GS, you will get the Suite Perks and access to the Concierge Lounge...but beware....you can never go back. *evil laugh*

DH and I bought a GS for our Serenade cruise last year. Two weeks later while I was at the TA's office finalizing details, DH was on the phone with us and he asked off-hand how much to upgrade to OS. It was only a few hundred more for the both of us (by some fluke), so he said "what the heck". Now is he SPOILED! and will only sail OS. LOL

With the GS, you will get the Suite Perks and access to the Concierge Lounge...but beware....you can never go back. *evil laugh*

DH and I bought a GS for our Serenade cruise last year. Two weeks later while I was at the TA's office finalizing details, DH was on the phone with us and he asked off-hand how much to upgrade to OS. It was only a few hundred more for the both of us (by some fluke), so he said "what the heck". Now is he SPOILED! and will only sail OS. LOL

That's OK........as long as you have it to spend........RCCL loves you.

We were cruising in RS's and OS's for the last 8 years, and now have had to cut back to GS's.

Some are fortunate to sail in inside cabins, and think nothing about it.

If we had to cut back to an outside cabin..........it's still a cruise.

We love our suites.......because I love to watch the sea go by....and read, comfortably. I also love dinner in our cabin.......with all of the trimmings....table cloth, silver and china. Sometimes breakfast as well.

In a suite they do it all for us..........and tell me that RCCL is not just another middle of the line ship. We certainly do not feel that way about them. If you want service.......make them feel like family.....and it's amazing what they will do.;):D:)

Rick

PS......I'm not letting out secrets here.....it's just the way that RCCL will treat you.....if you treat them as people that are there to help you.

I think in your situation I would stay with the JS. The only advantage

of going with the GS would be to have access to the concierge

lounge which I don't thing the Rhapsody has anyway. Either way,

you wouldn't be able to take any of your children in with you.

You'll be quite comfortable in a JS. If money is no object then

by all means upgrade. (What's the price difference?)

I think in your situation I would stay with the JS. The only advantage

of going with the GS would be to have access to the concierge

lounge which I don't thing the Rhapsody has anyway. Either way,

you wouldn't be able to take any of your children in with you.

You'll be quite comfortable in a JS. If money is no object then

by all means upgrade. (What's the price difference?)

And I completely agree with you. The JS is large on a Vision Class ship, and I agree......I don't believe that there is a Concierge Lounge on the Rhapsody.;)

Rick

Price difference is think about 1500 Aus. I am really not interested in the lounge but i am interested in getting on and off quickly, seats at shows and around the pool. I have read quite a few posts regarding lounge chairs around the pool.....I suppose it is just like when you stay at a resort and people get up early to reserve spots.

A JS is much larger than a standard cabin..space for 2 will NOT be an issue. True, on sea days, the area right around the pool edge will be packed...but if you go up a level (and that 's where the "reserved seating" is), there are plenty of lounges and more room to spread out...that's our preferred area, anyway!

Price difference is think about 1500 Aus. I am really not interested in the lounge but i am interested in getting on and off quickly, seats at shows and around the pool. I have read quite a few posts regarding lounge chairs around the pool.....I suppose it is just like when you stay at a resort and people get up early to reserve spots.

There is no reserved seating at the pool on Vision class ships. And the reserved seating in the theatre is at the back behind the sound/lighting guy. We never used the reserved seating, always got better seats on our own. I honestly don't think you will do better for that extra cost.

Thank you for all your replies. There really does not seem any real benefit in upgrading - no pool lounges - poor seating for shows. I was hoping that there would be some positives of upgrading - but even the cabin does not seem that much bigger.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Deb

The last time I looked (about an hour ago) the corner aft JS 8088 was available. No extra perks per se but it has an awesome large balcony where all 4 of your can hang out at times. I'm on the other corner :D Give your TA a call and see if they can snag it for you.

I'm with the others, no real benefits in going above a JS unless your never going to leave your cabin. With kids, I find that highly unlikely :p

Look forward to hopefully meeting up with you guys!

Deb

Archived