Military Rate ID Requirements?

We were able to get a military rate for the Allure Inaugural on Dec. 5. My husband was in the Navy for 2 years and the Reserves for 10 years and has a DD 214N Honorable Discharge form, but no official ID. I just printed out our cruise documents and it states that a BLUE ID card is required. He doesn't have that, just the copy of the form.

Has anyone used a copy of the form for verification of the military rate?

I went online and I think that they only give ID's for career military retirements.

I just don't want to get to the check in at the pier and not have what we need. We've never used this rate before. I have called C&A and talked to a res agent and both just read the requirement to me. The loyalty ambassador on the Radiance last week assured us that she thought the form would be fine. I'd feel better knowing someone had actually used the form rather than the ID.

Thanks!

We used my DH's DD214 on our last cruise. I actually had to fax it to them within 48 hours of making the reservation. If they didn't receive it within that time frame, the rate would go back up until they got it. Of course I got it to them right away...no further questions.

We used my DH's DD214 on our last cruise. I actually had to fax it to them within 48 hours of making the reservation. If they didn't receive it within that time frame, the rate would go back up until they got it. Of course I got it to them right away...no further questions.

:cool:I sent mine in ahead of time also. Still brought a copy with me to check-in:cool:

Thanks so much for all the quick replies! I wasn't asked to fax it (I booked online) and we will have it with us for check in just in case. From now on I am going to check the box for military rates along with the residency and senior rates!

I can't believe after all these years of cruising we have never taken advantage of this rate.

We've never been asked for proof of eligibility for any special rate - senior, military or resident (although that one is easy enough to check) on RCI. Carnival makes you fax in your eligibility within 24 hours of booking, which is how I think it should be. So a copy of the DD-214 should be plenty. It's likely that nobody will know what to do with it at the pier.

I am glad that I read this. On RCI's cruise search page it specifies "active duty or retired" and if you check the box on the next screen it says you need an active or retired ID card. It's only if you read the FAQ that you find out that vets with 2 years of service with a DD214 are eligible also. I'll be calling RCI later to see if there is a military discount for our sailing and if it can be applied as I have several DD214's gathering dust:).

We have not been asked for proof at the pier but were behind some people who were so we got out our ids which we have with us anyway. At one time the C&A reps on the phone seemed very confused about the names of the color card you should present, so the form is probably better anyway.

I called last night and unfortunately there isn't a military discount associated with my sailing. The CSR said to keep an eye on it and if a military discount is put on that sailing later I may call back and have it applied to my reservation (which may or may not happen, I know, but if it does that's great and if it doesn't I'm still happy with the price I have so it's no loss).

This is from Royal Caribbean's site:

s.gifAre there special prices for military personnel? - Royal Caribbean International Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in. Spouses of actively deployed, or deceased military personnel, are eligible to book one stateroom as long as the eligible spouse is occupying the stateroom.

:D

but it would also be pretty low to lie about serving your country.

People do it all of the time, that's why Congress passed a law in that regard (but I think the courts have declared the law unconstitutional under free speech grounds).

Archived