chef's table?

schnoobie

Princess has sure done a great marketing job! Whenever I read posts about the Chef's Table, posters are concerned about being "selected." Ooooohhhh.....selected to spend $150! Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it is as terrific as everyone says it is and might even participate some time. I just think it is kind of funny that the participants feel so special and fortunate for having been selected to spend $150. I was on a galley tour about 5 years ago and purchased a copy of Courses. If I understand correctly, this book is included with your Chef's table experience. Does anyone know if this is a second volume of sorts or if it would be the same book I purchased 5 years ago? Thanks.

I know what you mean...LOL....I attended the Chef's Table on the CB last June.

My husband had no interest at all so I went by myself and had a blast.

The money would have been a big waste for my hubby, who would much prefer to order a steak in the Crown Grill.

The food was very nicely prepared and presented, but I think it's the whole experience that people like, with the wine pairings and all.

After all, how often you you eat sorbet with vodka poured over it or eat dessert off of a plate made out of spun sugar?

During the kitchen tour, the Captain happened by and graciously posed for photos with us.

I'd try for it again on another ship, but would be ok with it if I didn't make the list. The Crown Grill is equally as good for me, and I already have a cookbook.,

It's well worth it and doing it on the Crown or any other large ship will ensure the best experience, as the small ships galleys are just too tight to allow you to benefit fully.

Do you know if the Sun Princess ' galley is big enough to enjoy the Chef's table?

Do you know if the Sun Princess ' galley is big enough to enjoy the Chef's table?

You don't actually dine in the galley; you're only in there to have champagne and hors d'oeuvres and to get to see the galley in action. I did the CT on the Dawn and there was plenty of room for the caviar tray to keep appearing in front of me and for the waiter to bring around a bottle to refill my glass. Believe me, you'll be fine!

The cookbook is basically the same. We compared the one we got at the Chef's Table with the one that we got back in 2003. Pretty much the same.

Does each participant receive a cookbook?Or is it by cabin number?Since everyone is spending the same with exception to non wine option,I would think each person gets one.

I was on a galley tour about 5 years ago and purchased a copy of Courses. If I understand correctly, this book is included with your Chef's table experience.

The galley tour that is after the cooking demo in the Princess Theater is nowehere near the same as when going there at the start of the Chef's Table dinner.

On the tour after the demo, you are luckly to spot any food being prepared.

On the Chef's Table tour you are in the middle of the preparation and serving of dinner and often need to get out of the way of the waiters with their trays. And you get to have champagne and hors d'oeuvres (in our case being prepared by the head chef) while there.

It's word of mouth, as many passengers are not even aware of the program.

And it is also usually in the Patter on embarkation day although many people do not notice it due to the amount of information in the cabin that day.

From the 1st Patter on a recent cruise:

AN EVENING AT THE CHEF'S TABLE "Join our Executive Chef at the Chef's Table for an unforgettable experience - Executive Chef Christophe Belin offers a brilliant insight into the workings of the most dynamic, fine dining experience on the seven seas; French champagne and hors d'oeurves at a hot spot in the galley during "rush" hour, follwed by a multi-course tasting menu at the V.I.P. Chef's table in the dining room - A must for the culinary connoisseur. $75 per person including wine pairing. For reservations, please call the Dining Hotline, #6219."

Does anyone know if you can make Chef Table reservations for more than your cabin. We are traveling with 5 other couples. Can I call the Dine line for all of us..?

Yes you can, but do it quickly after getting onboard.....:):):)

Bob

I believe that each couple gets one book, but when I went alone I got a book and when I went with my sister we each got one. Since I already had one I gave it to another couple so they could give one as a gift. It is a wonderful meal, enjoy!

We've done the Clef's Table of couple of times, and probably won't be doing it again. The first time a couple of years ago when it was a new concept it really felt over the top and something special. But earlier this year on the Star to be truthful were a little disapointed (not a popular sentiment here on CC I know) first off they only served veal, (1st time it was the trio of beef/veal/pork) we weren't told in advanced it would only be veal, which in it's self seemed a bit abbreviated and veal definetly is not my wife's favorite for humane reasons, and also apart from that this time the whole evening felt a little rushed & a bit staged to us as if they were just going though the motions in comparison to the 1st time.

Of course it's something you should try once for yourself and than decide.

Srpilo

During a cruisetour next July we arrive at the pier very late. Can I book the chef's table through the princess lodges or do I still have to wait until after boarding. I am worried that I will be too late since the train from Denali arrives in Whittier so late. We are scheduled to arrive at 5:15. I booked the cruise tour through Princess (EB4) on July 2.

We have just come back from a cruise on the Sun Princess and they didn't do the Chef's Table. When I enquired with one of the waiters they told me it was only on the ships with Anytime Dining :(

We have just come back from a cruise on the Sun Princess and they didn't do the Chef's Table. When I enquired with one of the waiters they told me it was only on the ships with Anytime Dining :(

Not true as it is offered on the Ocean, Royal and Pacific Princess ships which do not have anytime dining.

Possibly it is not offered just on the Australia based Princess ships.

During a cruisetour next July we arrive at the pier very late. Can I book the chef's table through the princess lodges or do I still have to wait until after boarding. I am worried that I will be too late since the train from Denali arrives in Whittier so late. We are scheduled to arrive at 5:15. I booked the cruise tour through Princess (EB4) on July 2.

No, you can't book it whilst on the tour. Best suggestion is to find someone else on your roll call who will be boarding early and also doing CT themselves and have them book you in. We did this for a couple last cruise who were also on a late arriving cruise tour.

Definitely call the DINE line. The earlier the better. If you really want to go to the Chef's Table, I would recommend boarding early to get your name on the list. You can usually make reservations for the Specialty Restaurants after embarkation. They usually have a table outside of Sabitini's the day of embarkation and someone there around 2 or 3pm to make reservations.

Hi! Are you on the 1/5/11 Mexico cruise?

If you are, please join us on our roll-call at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24512659#post24512659

When we were on the Coral in May (same cruisetour), I figured we would be too late to sign up but I was only the second to sign up and I got to the dinning room after 5:30. I ended up canceling because it was on one of the formal nights and we wanted to eat with some new friends.

That's not right if they only allow one cookbook per couple - they should give them a discount. I purchased the cookbook about five years ago and to tell you the truth - I've never tried any of the recipes.

Only one rose per couple and only one set of pictures per couple also.

Only one rose per couple and only one set of pictures per couple also.

Forgot about that - well then they should give a little discount for couples. Never going to happen.

It's still worth it and think about the weight of two of those cookbooks!!!

May Mom and I did CT on the Ruby, in 2009, we both got the cookbook, rose and 2 pictures each.

We both enjoyed the experience very much and look forward to signed up for on the Crown, next month.

That's not right if they only allow one cookbook per couple - they should give them a discount. I purchased the cookbook about five years ago and to tell you the truth - I've never tried any of the recipes.

I bet if you ask nicely, they'll give you another one. You can always use it for a present. ;)

Archived