Large vs. Standard Insides on Eurodam & Nieuw Amsterdam

Aruba

I just booked a "Large Inside" on Nieuw Amsterdam (K-1115). Does anyone know what the differences are between the large and standard inside staterooms on the Eurodam and N.A.? On the deck plan, this room looks more square and less rectangular.

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere; I did a search but couldn't find it.

If you go to Joanie's site that is gathering photos of all the various cabins on HAL ships, you will find photos of Eurodam J1048 (Main Deck) that I put up which will show you how wonderful the "square" arrangement is! Our friends in a verandah couldn't believe all the room we had vs theirs. MUCH easier to see into the closet. We loved it. Will book it again.

The large insides on Main Deck (your deck) on the Vista and Signature ships are huge. I've stayed in them several times and am very happy there.

The other large insides are smaller than large insides on the S- and R-class ships.

The standard insides are tiny.

You chose well.

I'm sorry Ruth, they're probably going to take away one star from my soon-to-be 3-star mariner status for not knowing the answer to this question but...what are the vista and signature ships?

...what are the vista and signature ships?

They are the largest of HAL's ships. The four Vista ships are named for the directions: Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam.

The Signature ships are the newest. They can be thought of as Vista.2, as they are very similar, but have an extra deck where the Tamarind is. Those are the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam.

No loss of Mariner * status, but you owe me a fistfull of chocolates. ;)

I'm sorry Ruth, they're probably going to take away one star from my soon-to-be 3-star mariner status for not knowing the answer to this question but...what are the vista and signature ships?

It would help you to read the sticky threads at the top of the page :D

Joanie's website is listed there under the thread labled: Photos of HAL Staterooms/Cabins

and there is also a thread there called: An Introduction to the Ships and Classes of the HAL Fleet

Signature Class Hal ships are the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Eurodam and the Vista's are the Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam and the Zuiderdam.

What an extraordinary websit. I can't begin to imagine the effort that went into creating and maintaining that! Looks like the large interior category K stateroom was a good choice -- and others must agree because I snagged the last one.

PS - Ruth, next time we cruise together there will be a bag full of chocolates awaiting you in the Piano Bar. :D

Without exception , the J cabin, is square and offered of several ships also as a K... but not sure. Just make darn sure its square and except no substitute.

It is much larger and better laid out than any other cabin except a suite !!!..... It is a wonderful departure from the tunnel cabins. The closet position... the corner sofa.... its just flat wonderful.

Then the location is mid-ship on the Main deck with direct fast access to everything from shows, dining and boarding. Its perfect in its location for the perfect cabin. This means no need for elevators oth the hassel of trying to get one at crush times

It is my first choice and you need to book earily to get one as I am not the only person who has figured this out.....:rolleyes: there are only about 26 on the whole ship.... and they charge almost as much as a outside cabin.. but it is so worth it.

I think its the best cabin type Holland America has to offer:D

We are booked on the Eurodam in an H cabin, Deck 4. We could not get a large inside where we wanted it, so booked an obstructed oceanview. The cabin has a sofa, which I like having, but it is a narrow room. If you have stayed in one of these, please comment about your reaction to the layout.

Alice

We are booked on the Eurodam in an H cabin, Deck 4. ... If you have stayed in one of these, please comment about your reaction to the layout.

I did once stay in an obstructed outside on Upper Promenade on the Noordam. I was very happy with the cabin. It was roomy, full of light, with a bathroom that was more than adequate in size.

The only problem, and it's a problem in so many of the Vista cabins, is the lack of drawer space. There were drawers under the bed and under the sofa, but they are hard to reach.

I would happily take such a cabin any time.

We stayed in one of the large standards (K1116 to be exact) on the Westerdam in March. The cabin was gigantic! It is more of a square shape than rectangular. There's a large corner sofa and coffee table right when you enter, followed by the vanity area and then closets. There's a lot of floorspace in the center of the cabin, and the beds are on the right side, sort of in a corner. I'm probably not explaining it well, but the room is very large and comfortable. We loved the location too - one deck up to most of the entertainment, lounges, and MDR. I was worried about noise from the MDR/kitchens above, but we never heard a peep. Again, you made a good choice - the room is fantastic!

Here's a link to the photos my daughter took of our cabin: http://sailing.smugmug.com/Westerdam-March-2010/Westerdam/11723518_UNPrj#829111353_RMN4a

Thank you for the link to your photos -- that cabin is huge!! And I'll have the one right next to it. Looks like I made a good choice. I'll be traveling solo and won't know what to do with all that space. :D

I think I have one of the large cabins but not one you mention. We are on Upper Verandah deck, cabin I6069. Was told it was the LARGE one too.

Ruth, can you give me more info.

Sorry, I truly can't. :o It was my understanding that only the insides on Main Deck were the huge ones, but I haven't visited all the decks.

On the deck plans they are separated out as large inside and the I6069 was included. I am hoping to get an upsell maybe, but I like mid ship cabins so I am picky. I took this since it was on a nice mid deck and pretty mid ship.

ANything about this location that you can share would be appreciated. Thanks for all the info.

Archived