Silly SWA ?

39august

They still offer snacks; on my last few flights the flight attendants brought around baskets with 3-4 different types of snacks (i.e. peanut butter crackers, pretzels, sun chips etc.) and you picked which ones you wanted.

It's been a few years since I flew SWA. Do they still offer peanuts or other snack? I know the checked bags are free...yea!

VERY often the price with WN is the same price (or higher) as another airline PLUS baggage fees.

PLEASE check all your options. And buy your own food or there will be a fee for buy on board. Why anyone wants to ride "Greyhound of the Skies" with no chosen seating, no FF flier perks that get you any place other than the Continental 48 and the heavy restrictions of WN (NO interline baggage, NO interline flights) is beyond me??? PLEASE check your options!!!

VERY often the price with WN is the same price (or higher) as another airline PLUS baggage fees.

PLEASE check all your options. And buy your own food or there will be a fee for buy on board. Why anyone wants to ride "Greyhound of the Skies" with no chosen seating, no FF flier perks that get you any place other than the Continental 48 and the heavy restrictions of WN (NO interline baggage, NO interline flights) is beyond me??? PLEASE check your options!!!

That's a little harsh. Not everyone who posts here flys all over the world all the time as you do (and points that out frequently!) No, Southwest is not always the cheapest anymore, but often it is a very good choice for someone who does one or two domestic flights a year. When you post a rant like this, it makes what you have to offer (when it's valuable) less persuasive.

Sorry TT....Greatam was doing a real service by pointing out that WN DOESN'T always have the cheapest pricing. And that it will well behoove travelers to crunch the numbers to find out just what is the best option.

Sometimes that is WN. Sometimes not. Greatam said to check out all your options, don't just drink the Kool-Aid. I have to echo that sentiment.

Please point out the factual errors in her posting. If it is just that you think it is "harsh", well....life is harsh. Paying too much for your trip is "harsh". Telling it like it is without sugar coating is....harsh.

Put me in the "harsh" column. And you can have my ration of CBKA (Canyon Blue Kool-Aid).

The OP is not interested in your opinions about Southwest. They get me where I want to go cheaper and more comfortably with much friendlier service than those other lines. And they make a profit.

The OP is not interested in your opinions about Southwest. They get me where I want to go cheaper and more comfortably with much friendlier service than those other lines. And they make a profit.

PLEASE keep drinking the Kool Aid!!!

That's a little harsh. Not everyone who posts here flys all over the world all the time as you do (and points that out frequently!) No, Southwest is not always the cheapest anymore, but often it is a very good choice for someone who does one or two domestic flights a year. When you post a rant like this, it makes what you have to offer (when it's valuable) less persuasive.

Harsh, NO. REALITY, yes. There are VERY often cheaper flights INCLUDING baggage fees on other airlines. WN's business model is to WAIT to post prices until the cheap flights (INCLUDING baggage fees) have been sold out.

We track this in our business DAILY from MAJOR airports point to point.

No rant at all-it is fact. Sorry you don't take agree. Why you would deny yourself an assigned seat, deny yourself FF miles that are no good outside the Continental US (approx 500 million FF miles accrued on credit cards that go begging which are PRIMARILY NOT on WN) or forego interline baggage or interline flights IF another airline is cheaper (including baggage fees)?

Your choice-I have no money in other airlines and certainly no money in WN. Shouldn't others be INFORMED that there are OPTIONS (just as I posted)

Sorry TT....Greatam was doing a real service by pointing out that WN DOESN'T always have the cheapest pricing. And that it will well behoove travelers to crunch the numbers to find out just what is the best option.

Sometimes that is WN. Sometimes not. Greatam said to check out all your options, don't just drink the Kool-Aid. I have to echo that sentiment.

Please point out the factual errors in her posting. If it is just that you think it is "harsh", well....life is harsh. Paying too much for your trip is "harsh". Telling it like it is without sugar coating is....harsh.

Put me in the "harsh" column. And you can have my ration of CBKA (Canyon Blue Kool-Aid).

Thanks

So FEW realize the reality of the situation.

Yes, it is harsh and everyone knows it. It is a known fact that greatam hates SW (yes I will use that since those who hate SW hate that designation too!). Search other threads. greatam values F class upgrades, international lounges and confirmed seats. Sometimes other airlines are cheaper than SW, even with baggage fees included. Again, search this forum and others to prove that SW fares sometimes are cheaper than any other airlines' fares ever were on certain routes. Sometimes lower fares were NEVER offered on other airlines. Fact, yes (search this forum for people who were tracking fares for their flights for months before SW published their fares). Will it be disputed? Of course.

Guess where greatam's continuous quoting of SW's business model comes from? AMERICAN AIRLINES. She said it herself:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24219484&postcount=16

Of course if I were with a competing airline I would make such comments. Perhaps this was confirmed from independent sources, but no one has ever posted a link to such an independent finding, at least that I am aware of. I am all ears to legitimate independent confirmation of this.

It behooves everyone posting on this forum to consider all airlines and all advice, not just from those who are the "experts." Unfortunately those of us who try to give some sort of balance are often smacked down. But I can handle it.

FWIW....just looked up flights on WN vs DL from BNA to FLL for next Friday departure, coming back a week later on Saturday.

WN wanted $249 for the flight down, a bargain $130 "web special" for the return, plus taxes for $409 total. DL, on the other hand, was $250 round-trip (virtually the same as the lowest WN one-way down) plus taxes for $291 all in. A difference of $118.

Sometimes WN is cheaper. On my first search, WN was more expensive. Whether or not that is "hating" WN, I leave to you. What it does say is simple: "It behooves you to search all options and not reflexively buy a ticket on WN just because "they have the lowest prices". Which they don't"

Again....please point out the factual errors. I think we can all agree that WN sometimes has the cheapest pricing. But why can't you also agree that sometimes WN is far more expensive than their competitors??

As for being a shill for AA....I will be the first to say that I will steer my travel decisions to DL. They give me benefits that justify paying a premium for a ticket, at times. Greatam gets benefits, 6Rugrats gets benefits, as do many others. Do we lose sight of reality -- no. We advocate for an informed, educated, skeptical consumer. If that means buying/flying on WN -- go to it. Just have both eyes open and knowing what you are getting. It's all part of free choice and capitalism.

Yes, it is harsh and everyone knows it. It is a known fact that greatam hates SW (yes I will use that since those who hate SW hate that designation too!). Search other threads. greatam values F class upgrades, international lounges and confirmed seats. Sometimes other airlines are cheaper than SW, even with baggage fees included. Again, search this forum and others to prove that SW fares sometimes are cheaper than any other airlines' fares ever were on certain routes. Sometimes lower fares were NEVER offered on other airlines. Fact, yes (search this forum for people who were tracking fares for their flights for months before SW published their fares). Will it be disputed? Of course.

Guess where greatam's continuous quoting of SW's business model comes from? AMERICAN AIRLINES. She said it herself:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24219484&postcount=16

Of course if I were with a competing airline I would make such comments. Perhaps this was confirmed from independent sources, but no one has ever posted a link to such an independent finding, at least that I am aware of. I am all ears to legitimate independent confirmation of this.

It behooves everyone posting on this forum to consider all airlines and all advice, not just from those who are the "experts." Unfortunately those of us who try to give some sort of balance are often smacked down. But I can handle it.

I really hate your "spin". I USED to fly WN all the time out of PHX to LAX. After about the 10th MISSED meeting because they consolidated the 7 or 8AM flight with the later flights and made me late to my meeting WITH NO EXPLANATION, I said enough was enough. That was actually a few years ago. I put up with their crappy seating, their goo-goo flight attendants, their happy/happy way of handling things. After a while, it just got old, boring and VERY PATRONIZING. For an occasional flier, it may seem fun and happy. For someone who flies on a regular basis, it is truly a drag. WN COUNTS on the occasional, leisure flier. There are VERY few self respecting FF who will fly WN on a regular basis.

READ the WN forward statements AND the WN prospectus if you REALLY want to know what the business model is. Just because I posted that a VERY knowledgeable AA person stated it does NOT mean it is not true. It was Herb Kelleher's business model when he first went for financing in conjunction with Coopers/Lybrand to expand the 4 plane company in 1974. I have heard Herb speak at numerous logistic conferences and besides his love of cigarettes, Wild Turkey and just plain fun, his main objective was to WAIT until other airlines sold off their cheap seats, THEN open up the schedule. Gave him more money, a larger profit margin, even in this day of "two bags free". That IS the business model.

PLEASE know what you speak of.

And I certainly posted that the OP should avail themselves of ALL options, NOT just look at WN.

That IS the business model.

It is certainly not the most definitive source, but Wikipedia lists the following as the BUSINESS MODEL for LCCs like Southwest Airlines:

"Low-cost carrier business model practices include:

• a single passenger class
  • a single type of aircraft (commonly the Airbus A320 or Boeing 737 families), reducing training and servicing costs
  • a minimum set of optional equipment on the aircraft, further reducing costs of acquisition and maintenance, as well as keeping the weight of the aircraft lower and thus saving fuel:
    • no AVOD etc.; often excluding conveniences such as ACARS and autothrottle
    • no in-flight entertainment systems made available
    • no seat recliners, seat pockets, window blinds or seat headrest covers

[*]a simple fare scheme, such as charging one-way tickets half that of round-trips (typically fares increase as the plane fills up, which rewards early reservations)

[*]flying to cheaper, less congested secondary airports and flying early in the morning or late in the evening to avoid air traffic delays and take advantage of lower landing fees

[*]fast turnaround times (allowing maximum use of aircraft)

[*]unreserved seating (encouraging passengers to board early and quickly, thus further decreasing turnaround times)

[*]simplified routes, emphasizing point-to-point transit instead of transfers at hubs (again enhancing aircraft use and eliminating disruption due to delayed passengers or luggage missing connecting flights)

[*]encourage the use of direct flights. Luggage is not automatically transferred from one flight to another, even if both flights are with the same company.

[*]generation of ancillary revenue from a variety of activities, such as à la carte features and commission-based products

[*]emphasis on direct sales of tickets, especially over the Internet (avoiding fees and commissions paid to travel agents and computer reservations systems)

[*]employees working in multiple roles, for instance flight attendants also cleaning the aircraft or working as gate agents (limiting personnel costs)

[*]a disinclination to handle Special Service passengers, for instance by placing a higher age limit on unaccompanied minors[1] than full service carriers

[*]aggressive fuel hedging programs

[*]passengers paying charges for extras, such as hold luggage, online check in and priority boarding

[*]avoiding using jetways to board and alight passengers by using a mobile stairway which is a cheaper alternative.

[*]not supplying meals in a flight, but offering snacks, sandwiches and drinks instead to purchase on board

[*]no refunds or transfers to later flights in the event of missed flights, i.e. if the aircraft leaves on time without a passenger who arrived late, he will have to buy a wholly new ticket for the next flight."

No place in this list of business practices is the notion that WN or other LCCs wait until other low fares have been sold out. (As an aside, who would Southwest wait for in a market like Providence to Baltimore where no other airline has nonstop flights?) Like frugaltravel, I await to see some independent confirmation of anything else to the contrary.

No place in this list of business practices is the notion that WN or other LCCs wait until other low fares have been sold out. (As an aside, who would Southwest wait for in a market like Providence to Baltimore where no other airline has nonstop flights?) Like frugaltravel, I await to see some independent confirmation of anything else to the contrary.

Don't hold your breath.

Geez, all the OP asked was whether SW still offered peanuts or other snacks. :o

It's unfortunate that a lot of folks got wound around their axles over other issues.

True, but the rants come every time SW's name is mentioned.

Back to the original posters question. Southwest serves free soft drinks, juice and coffee. Alcoholic drinks and monster low carb energy drinks may be purchased.

There is no food for purchase, all snacks are free. The type of snack is determined by the length of your flight. Peanuts and/or pretzels on short flights, and they are served on longer flights as well in addition to a breakfast bar or cheezits for medium length flights and a snack box with 3 choices on long flights.

Enjoy your flight!

Harsh, NO. REALITY, yes. There are VERY often cheaper flights INCLUDING baggage fees on other airlines. WN's business model is to WAIT to post prices until the cheap flights (INCLUDING baggage fees) have been sold out.

We track this in our business DAILY from MAJOR airports point to point.

No rant at all-it is fact. Sorry you don't take agree. Why you would deny yourself an assigned seat, deny yourself FF miles that are no good outside the Continental US (approx 500 million FF miles accrued on credit cards that go begging which are PRIMARILY NOT on WN) or forego interline baggage or interline flights IF another airline is cheaper (including baggage fees)?

Your choice-I have no money in other airlines and certainly no money in WN. Shouldn't others be INFORMED that there are OPTIONS (just as I posted)

Did you even read what I wrote??? I said, no, often Southwest is not the cheapest anymore. I said that it is often viable. No where did I say that it was always the best. You people who HATE Southwest are welcome to your opinion, but to constantly bash it is as silly as Sgt. Shultz (or whatever his name is) who can see no wrong with Southwest.

I'd love to be able to fly Southwest more as I live so much closer to HOU than IAH, but most of the time it doesn't work out.

It goes without saying, but apparently it does have to be said, that often SWA IS the least expensive. If SWA gets you where you are going, interline agreements are a don't care, as are many other irrelevant arguments. In some cases, SWA is the only carrier to offer a nonstop between two cities.

As for snacks, it depends on the length of the flight as to the variety of FREE snacks offered, but will include peanuts and pretzels. With SWA, you are always FREE to bring on additional food if you choose.

WN's business model is to WAIT to post prices until the cheap flights (INCLUDING baggage fees) have been sold out.

But if you don't LOOK for flights until WN has posted their fares, because you don't NEED tickets until then, aren't the cheap flights sold out anyway?

In addition to the free baggage allowance, free snacks, and often witty flight attendants another thing great about Southwest is being able to change your flight without any change fee and get credits towards a future flight if the price drops after you book. They are definitely my favorite airline for domestic flights.

Geez, all the OP asked was whether SW still offered peanuts or other snacks. :o

LOL...I can't think of a more innocuous question, except maybe "what color are the seats on SWA aircraft". Yet I am sure such a question could still spark a debate :rolleyes:

Perhaps Southwest isn't always the cheapest around they things that Southwest does do is lowers the overall average fare between markets to a reasonable level.

They other thing Southwest has walk up fares that wont break the bank, even if they have a monopoly on that route. Case in point the cheapest round trip fare on Delta between Atlanta and Nashville for tomorrow (leaving 10/21 returning 10/22) is $731.91 that is with tax. Just going off of memory I recall that Delta either has or close to 100% of the market share. BTW the most expensive fare on the same day is $1,132.90

Compare that to a Southwest monopoly market of Las Vegas to Reno roundtrip on Southwest comes to $327.40. the most expensive is $357.40

Also right now the available days to book is the furthest out its been in a long time. Apparently there was a fair amount of complainants about that. With out looking it up I believe it is more then 200 days of available. inventory to sell.

But if you don't LOOK for flights until WN has posted their fares, because you don't NEED tickets until then, aren't the cheap flights sold out anyway?

No fair interjecting reality into the discussion.

SWA biz model doesn't depend on what other airlines do. SWA is the clear leader and it is the SWA biz model that many other airlines would LUV to be able to copy. :D

Archived