Service Charges

shenaniganzz

I didn't want to threadjack on the other thread about the charges. I just want to clarify the amounts.

Are the tips calculated at 12 per day per guest. IE 3 guests in a cabin is $36 each day in the pool. So at the end of our 10 day cruise we will owe $360 for our cabin?

TIA!

I didn't want to threadjack on the other thread about the charges. I just want to clarify the amounts.

Are the tips calculated at 12 per day per guest. IE 3 guests in a cabin is $36 each day in the pool. So at the end of our 10 day cruise we will owe $360 for our cabin?

TIA!

You are correct.

From NCL's FAQs:

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

Each guest has their own account, and each account is charged $12 per day. You can choose to have each account charged to the same credit card or have each account secured by a separate method. It's very flexible.

But yes, as the day goes by, each guest WILL use enough staff services to justify a $12 tip. Think about it this way: If you were going to a nice place and ended up with a $67 bill, and you wanted to tip a stnadard 18%, that tip would come to $12.

Now, tell me if you think you are going to spend a day on a cruise ship and NOT do something akin to going out and having a $67 tab. Dinner alone would qualify!

$67 per person for an MDR dinner? Seriously?

The service charge is part of a cruise's cost, and the crew work hard for it. But come on, no need to grossly exaggerate. The entire cruise can be had for less than $67 per person per day.

The service charge is part of a cruise's cost, and the crew work hard for it. But come on, no need to grossly exaggerate. The entire cruise can be had for less than $67 per person per day.

And the crew does just as much for someone in a last-minute-booked $50/day inside room as for someone in a $125/day oceanview.

I thought the OP just wanted clarification of the amount?

Why are we starting ANOTHER thread to justify the amount?

Hope not. It doesn't matter if we justify it or not. It is what it is and not a bad deal at that.

TIA!

You can choose to prepay the DSC so you don't get that big whallop at the end of the cruise. Just contact your PCC or TA and they'll take care of you.

Some of us actually do go to restaurants and spend $60 per person for appetizers, entree, dessert, and drinks. I have spent more for a good quality bottle of wine in a restaurant...

Not all of us go to McDonalds to celebrate a wedding anniversary or birthday...

For those people who really find that $12 to be too high... you can always be "that guy" and lower it at the front desk. If your issue is that you feel most of the money goes to NCL, not the staff (or is improperly distributed), use that money you took off your service charge for direct cash tips for the crew members on board.

Some of us actually do go to restaurants and spend $60 per person for appetizers, entree, dessert, and drinks. I have spent more for a good quality bottle of wine in a restaurant...

Not all of us go to McDonalds to celebrate a wedding anniversary or birthday...

Why bless your heart. We too dine out at places other than fast food joints and tip well for good service.

The post I was referring to was asserting that $12 was a fair tip for an MDR dinner (akin to Applebee's, Chili's or Olive Garden according to what I have heard of those chains). And, when you have that $60 per person meal on board a ship, you are paying a surcharge for the specialty restaurant as well as 15% on your beverage bill.

For those people who really find that $12 to be too high... you can always be "that guy" and lower it at the front desk. If your issue is that you feel most of the money goes to NCL, not the staff (or is improperly distributed), use that money you took off your service charge for direct cash tips for the crew members on board.

Please go to the NCL site and read what it says about lowering tips.

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread but this is just so wrong.

Please go to the NCL site and read what it says about lowering tips.

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread but this is just so wrong.

I am not advocating lowering one's charges. I am just saying that if people really think for whatever reason it is an undeserved amount... it is technically not mandatory... although I am sure the front desk will want to know what was below par causing you to lower your amount. I personally would never lower it, knowing that it goes into the incentive program. I personally tip in addition to the service charge, knowing it gets routed a lot before entering the check of the people who helped me.

From NCL's FAQs:

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

And I'm still trying to figure out if I can pay that off with my $300.00 of on board credit?

Why bless your heart. We too dine out at places other than fast food joints and tip well for good service.

The post I was referring to was asserting that $12 was a fair tip for an MDR dinner (akin to Applebee's, Chili's or Olive Garden according to what I have heard of those chains). And, when you have that $60 per person meal on board a ship, you are paying a surcharge for the specialty restaurant as well as 15% on your beverage bill.

Actually that $12 per passenger DSC included tips for three meals, and one or two snacks as well, along with the room steward tip. Not to mention the others involved in pampering you that day outside the bar tips. I don't feel $12 per person per day DSC on a cruise ship is too high...

I rank cruise ships restaurants and dining rooms as equal to resort hotel restaurants. Resort hotels dining prices are not as cheap as Applebees, so think in terms a bit higher... Motel 6 is not a resort hotel...

Cheapskates think in terms of Dennys. Sorry, I rank cruise ship dining much much higher... You book a cruise on a ship, a resort hotel, not a Motel 6 in Dodge City, Kansas. Don't complain about Hilton prices and fees, you are not spending a week in a Motel 6...

Actually that $12 per passenger DSC included tips for three meals, and one or two snacks as well, along with the room steward tip. Not to mention the others involved in pampering you that day outside the bar tips. I don't feel $12 per person per day DSC on a cruise ship is too high...

I rank cruise ships restaurants and dining rooms as equal to resort hotel restaurants. Resort hotels dining prices are not as cheap as Applebees, so think in terms a bit higher... Motel 6 is not a resort hotel...

Cheapskates think in terms of Dennys. Sorry, I rank cruise ship dining much much higher... You book a cruise on a ship, a resort hotel, not a Motel 6 in Dodge City, Kansas. Don't complain about Hilton prices and fees, you are not spending a week in a Motel 6...

Your kind words are truly appreciated. Bless your heart again.

I don't have a problem with the DSC that NCL adds . . . it's a bargain and well deserved by the crew. Just recognize that it is close to 20% of the total fare for a seven day inside and well less than that for a "top" price balcony.

I don't have a problem with the DSC that NCL adds . . . it's a bargain and well deserved by the crew. Just recognize that it is close to 20% of the total fare for a seven day inside and well less than that for a "top" price balcony.

You are lucky to find such bargains for 7 day cruises - $60 per day?

20% tip for good service sounds right to me!

Archived