How long from Cruise Port to Airport in San Juan?

John73

I thought I was all set with airfare for my Dec 13th to 24th Cruise on the Millennium but it looks like American decided to cancel my flight. I was originally scheduled to leave at noon but with the cancellation the only flight they have departs at 8:30AM. The itinerary notes that the Millie will dock at 7AM. Is there any realistic chance that I'll make the 8:30 AM flight? or should I just change and book with Continental for $400 more? American will 'protect' me on a 5:15 flights that gets in on Christmas day instead of Christmas eve, but they say that may also book up completely. I'm leaning towards cancelling the American flights and moving to Continental but not thrilled about it costing about $400 more. Advice? How far is it from the cruise port to the airport in San Juan?

I thought I was all set with airfare for my Dec 13th to 24th Cruise on the Millennium but it looks like American decided to cancel my flight. I was originally scheduled to leave at noon but with the cancellation the only flight they have departs at 8:30AM. The itinerary notes that the Millie will dock at 7AM. Is there any realistic chance that I'll make the 8:30 AM flight? or should I just change and book with Continental for $400 more? American will 'protect' me on a 5:15 flights that gets in on Christmas day instead of Christmas eve, but they say that may also book up completely. I'm leaning towards cancelling the American flights and moving to Continental but not thrilled about it costing about $400 more. Advice? How far is it from the cruise port to the airport in San Juan?

While it is about a 20 minute ride from the cruise port to the airport in San Juan (without traffic), there is no way you can make an 8:30 flight. In fact, it is most likely that there is no way you will be off the ship by 8:30 a.m. I bet if you call Celebrity, they will tell you not to make a flight until 11:30. Sorry to hear about your inconvenience.

Sorry to hear about your dilemna. I agree with the other posters that an 8:30am flight might be next to impossible.

The airport is very close to the cruise port however, I remember long lines and several steps to get to your gate at this airport. First you get your bags screened through agriculture and get a sticker. Then you wait to check in with your airline. Then, you have the security line.

Hope you are able to get another later flight. Good luck!

any chance of you changing your AA flight to the next day and staying overnight in San Juan, then you can leave early and catch an early morning fligh home the next morning?

Agreed, 8:30AM flight almost impossible to make.

Before I would spend $400 extra on a Continental flight, I would ask AA to change your flight to the next morning and take the $400 and stay at the Ritz Carlton. It would be a great end to your cruise and completely relaxing as you could take the 8:30 flight out of SJU and miss all the cruise passanger traffic

B.

I would also agree that you are extremely unlikely to make the 8:30am flight. You have to get off the ship after she docks (assuming she docks ontime), get your luggage and go through customs, get transportation to the airport, drive to the airport in San Juan traffic, check your bags, go through airport security and then get to your gate.

Take the later flight and let your trip end on a good note instead of a mad rush to try and catch a flight you are unlikely to make.

We are on the same cruise .... stay overnight and relax in San Juan. We booked the Sheraton OSJ on Hotwire for $99+taxes.

Hi John,

My sister and her 3, as well my Aunt and Uncle both had the same issue on their flights home to San Diego and Los Angeles. (We're on your cruise Dec 13-24). My Aunt was able to get on another flight around noon that day. My sister was put on the 8:30. She ended up cancelling her flights with AA (AA cancelled and refunded with no charge) and rebooking on US Air.

I agree there's no way you'll make it for an 08:30 flight. So if you don't want to get in late on the 24th/early 25th then stay overnight in San Juan and enjoy it, then take an early flight on the 25th.

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon here - no way you'll make an 8:30am flight. There is a nice Embassy Suites right by the airport. You may want to stay there and catch the early flight on Christmas Day. I'm not sure if the airlines are doing it this year, but in the past my brothers-in-law would fly on Christmas Day because it was cheaper than flying on Christmas eve. Just another little item to think about that could actually save you a little money.

Before I would spend $400 extra on a Continental flight, I would ask AA to change your flight to the next morning and take the $400 and stay at the Ritz Carlton. It would be a great end to your cruise and completely relaxing as you could take the 8:30 flight out of SJU and miss all the cruise passanger traffic

B.

True, but the catch is that waiting another day has me arriving 'home' to visit family on Christmas day vs Christmas Eve. I have a feeling my Mom won't like that too much.

OK, I'm now decided that he 8:30 has no chance.

There is a 9:15 but I suspect thats not really all that much better in terms of making the flight, is it?

Sounds like I either need to cancel the cruise or have my family accept that I won't be in until early afternoon on Christmas day. Dang, neither is a really good option.

Well, looks like I got it figured out. I'm now routed leaving at ~12:15 and arriving in to Austin on Christmas eve instead of San Antonio. It is about an hour drive each way, but I think my Dad will be happy to do that instead of having me come in on Christmas day.

Well, looks like I got it figured out. I'm now routed leaving at ~12:15 and arriving in to Austin on Christmas eve instead of San Antonio. It is about an hour drive each way, but I think my Dad will be happy to do that instead of having me come in on Christmas day.

That sounds like a good solution. The 9:15 flight would not have been wise. I think the cruise line generally does not recommend before noon from SJU and certainly anything before 11 is risky and before 10 extremely risky, rapidly progressing towards impossible.

Hope you have a great cruise and Xmas :)

In looking at my itinerary, the ship docks at 6AM, not 7AM. My family is pushing me to try and make a 9:15AM flight from SJU to Dallas to San Antonio.

I decided to just book a 1:10 departure from San Juan to Dallas and then pay $98 to fly southwest from Dallas to San Antonio and arrive in a bit later on Christmas Eve.

Your plan sounds smarter than your family's idea. The additional hour still would have made it awfully tight to make the flight. It may be costing you a little more money, but you will certainly enjoy your cruise more, if you do not have to worry the entire trip about getting back to Texas.

In looking at my itinerary, the ship docks at 6AM, not 7AM. My family is pushing me to try and make a 9:15AM flight from SJU to Dallas to San Antonio.

I decided to just book a 1:10 departure from San Juan to Dallas and then pay $98 to fly southwest from Dallas to San Antonio and arrive in a bit later on Christmas Eve.

Keep in mind the ship does not necessairly dock at 6am, it is scheduled to dock at 6am; it may be early, it may be late. Even if it is early, nobody may leave the ship until it is cleared by local authorities. Even if the ship pulled in at 5am, the local authorities may not clear the ship until 7:30 or 8am. Also factor in that at SJU there is an extra step - agricultural screening. So in addition to lines to check in and security, you face a third line. SJU is an airport where you often do really need to arrive 90-120 minutes early in order to make it to your gate on time. SJU is often very busy with long, slow moving lines.

If you had given in to your family and opted for the 9:15am flight there is a good chance you would have missed it and then possibility been stranded a day or two, as well as been facing massive charges for needing to change your ticket (you'd likely be looking at a change fee AND the difference in fare from the price you paid, to the going rate for the last minute ticket). Better to be a bit late on Xmas eve than potentially miss Xmas all together and be out hundreds or even $1,000+.

If anyone has flown out of San Juan airport recently, are you able to verify whether or not the previous posts about leaving cruise tags on bags to skip the agricultural scan still apply?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=16612217&postcount=4

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=17378174&postcount=5

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=17378225&postcount=6

TIA

Archived