Your Favorite Drugstore Alternatives to Expensive Cosmetics?

FinelyRetired

Has anyone tried using the primer with mineral makeup? Concerned it would cake up....

allow your face to dry from the moisturizer, and the primer. I use the Smashbox and don't even need moisturizer some of the time...I have used the Bare Essentials with it and is just fine.

Now, see, I didn't know this! I have Bare Escentuals mineral makeup and I don't use it because it settles into the fine lines but I never tried using it with primer...can't wait to try it again now. Thanks!

The mineral makeup works well for me, too, but gotta use a primer......I can't use the makeup though if I wear my contacts..my eyes will itch.

A lot of people I've noticed like the Purity cleanser..however I broke out in what look liked hives. My skin itched, was red and burned. :( Maybe you will have better luck with it though.

Yes, this product is great for me but I don't have sensitive skin. It gets all makeup off without drying my skin.

I love false lashes, and extensions which are a lot harder to do but look much more natural (Sally's) and I am a fan of most of the Boot's no7 line and waterproof Lash Stiletto and HATE Bare Minerals but LOVE Everyday Minerals (and their prices) and I love Smashbox primer but honestly the one by Rimmel is just as good!

Lancome owns Loreal? Omg!!

I did not know.

Since I am over 40, I use serious skin care, I buy it from hsn. Their vitamin c moisturizers are wonderful.

I lovr mac, lancomr!!

I always use primers.

• 2 weeks later...
I love revlon colorstay, but I have to work fast with it since it dries relatively quickly.

This stuff is great! I haven't got any color in my lips at all, so to keep from looking dead, I used it daily. It did begin to dry out my lips after awhile, then I found LORAC which is the same as colorstay, but less drying. http://www.loraccosmetics.com/p-69-co-starsbrfont-size18-hour-long-wearing-lip-color-ultra-glossy-top-coatfont.aspx It's more expensive than revlon, but lasts a long time.

I know it's not a drugstore alternative, but sometimes when you get older and skin dries out more, you just have to upgrade.:o

Bobbi Brown had some good advice for lips and lipstick staying power that I have been using with good results. (Can't remember which mag) She uses eye cream to keep lips moist. To keep lipstick on for a long time this is the trick:

Apply color (I use Revlon Colorstay Stain) If using regular tube - press the color into your lip, blot, and repeat. Apply lipliner in same color over stain. I use Cargo from Sephora. Then apply gloss as needed. (Still love my Chanel) I do one more step and use that Cargo reverse lip pencil first to give my lips a little more volume in appearance. I have to say that this is the best way I have found to keep color on even when drinking/eating. Just reapply gloss. I had never found one lipstick that wasn't too drying and lasted a long time .

I didn't read each page so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but..

For anyone who loves/wants to try mineral makeup but thinks that the more well-known brands are overpriced, try Everyday Minerals (look up their website online). It covers well, and my complexion has improved 300% since I started using it. It comes in Glo, Semi-Matte, Matte, and Intensive for those who want more/less shine. They also make blush, eyeshadows (huge selection), lip products and brushes - all are fantastic and priced very reasonably. Even their shipping is priced fairly.

Sorry if I sound like an ad, but I'll never use anything else again!

Hi Everyone!

I have been lurking and reading all your great tips.

I tried the Monistat anti- chaffing gel as a primer it works great. The first time I used too much. So the next time I used it I applied it using my left hand ( I am right handed) and it seemed to work much better.

I finally found Pretty feet and hands in my area. The wal-mart and various drug store chains did not carry it. So I went to the pretty feet and hands website and found at

The Christmas Tree Shops! of all places. It was 6.49 for a bottle.

So I tried that on my face. Lightly massaged it in and then took a shower. It left my skin as smooth as a babie's bottom. :D

So that is my mini- review. Keep the tips coming!

Nora

I use that too.

It is the same as Smashbox Photo Finish primer and it is a well known substitute!:)

Oh, I forgot....my husband dressed up like a zombie for Halloween with full zombie makeup. He gave me a funny look when I put the Monistat "primer" on him but he thanked me later when his face stayed on all night and was easy to remove later!

I have never tried it , but I have also heard that Milk of Magnesia is an excellent primer for oily skin that will not aggravate it if you are also acne prone.

I have never tried it , but I have also heard that Milk of Magnesia is an excellent primer for oily skin that will not aggravate it if you are also acne prone.

I just heard of that myself and tried it for the first time today. So far, I'm not impressed. My t-zone was still shiny by mid day but I'll give it a few more chances before I chunk the bottle.

I just heard of that myself and tried it for the first time today. So far, I'm not impressed. My t-zone was still shiny by mid day but I'll give it a few more chances before I chunk the bottle.

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking about giving it a try , but I probably won't now.

• 2 years later...
This is embarrassing:o and is a closely held secret, but I use Monistat Anti Chafing cream (the stuff you put between your legs) as a foundation primer. It is the best on the market and VERY affordable. My BFF does makeup for some very high profile clients and she's the one who told me about it. I have raging rosacea and it doesn't aggravate it. In fact it has allowed me to use products that would normally cause a flare.

I use it too! Half the price and has the exact same ingredients as top notch primers!

Three years later and I'm still using the same products. I purchased a liter bottle Philosophy Purity cleanser for $52 at Nordstrom, it will last me 3 years. I know because I bought a liter bottle before and it lasted 3 years. I even refill my sisters bottle for her once in awhile with that. It also came with an 8 oz. bottle of the same cleanser. A really good buy, I think they have this sale once a year, my memory of when the sale was escapes me, I think it's been several months, since I didn't have an immediate need for it. It was one of the big cosmetic days they have a couple times a year. Deals like that are hard to pass up. I doubt drug store brands could even cost less.

Edited by Happy ks
sp

I use Aveeno Skin Brightening Daily Wash and Tresseme hair spray.

I keep coming back to Cover Girl loose powder. It works as well as the expensive loose powders from Smashbox and Lancôme at 30% of the cost. To be honest, they also have a shade which matches my skin tone perfectly, the others do not.

Everything else though I use a combination of Lancôme, Smashbox, Urban Decay, Murad, Bumble and Bumble, and Sesderma and have't found any drugstore brands that work as well.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Interesting to see this thread resurrected.

I am currently on the hunt for a new hairspray now that I have a shorter hairstyle. I need some spray to hold it once styled, as my hair's natural tendency is to fall forward.

I am looking for a product that will:

a) Hold well but be flexible

b) Has no smell or only a light, pleasant one (no lingering fumes, please!)

c) Can be brushed out without becoming flakey

d) Adding some shine would be a plus

The drugstore brands I have tried either smell bad (Tresemme; I tried both aerosol and pump), smell good but don't hold well (Garnier Fructisse), or hold well but leave my hair feeling "crunchy" (a slightly higher-end aerosol spray that I otherwise liked).

Any suggestions?

Not a drug store brand, but my favorite hair spray is Paul Mitchell Super Clean. They have 3 formulas, light, regular and extra hold. I use the light formula the most, as I can use a lot without a look of buildup and can brush through it, plus it doesn't have an obnoxious odor like Sebastian Shaper or cheap drugstore brands. It doesn't add shine, but I have found the ones that add shine also weigh down my too soft hair.

I wish all products were fragrance free :rolleyes:

Ducklite, Did you know that Lancome owns and produces L'Oreal? In a pinch you might want to try one of their mascaras. One of their formulas might be very similar to Definicils at half the price. Good luck:D

They may be the same company but they aren't even close. I'm also hooked on Lancome mascara.

Has anyone found something to get rid of brown age spots on face??

No one has said what blush they use and if it looks natural.

Has anyone tried the foundations that are clear and change color to skin tone..Almay?

Can someone post some great looking natural lipstick colors that last??

Has anyone had great success with teeth whiteners??

Thanks for help in advance. S

Although I can't answer all of your questions, there are a couple that I can.

I use Bare Escentials loose powder blushes and they are fantastic FOR ME. I'll no longer waste my time with anything else.

As for teeth whiteners, I spent over $300 to have my teeth whitened at the dentist office. I'd heard about Crest Whitestrips and thought there was no way they could be as good. I was wrong. They worked better and faster. Go figure. :rolleyes:

I am currently on the hunt for a new hairspray now that I have a shorter hairstyle. I need some spray to hold it once styled, as my hair's natural tendency is to fall forward.

?

Have you tried Elnett? I love it! I don't use hairspray very often but when I do - this is one of my faves! Drugstore, but a little more expensive....

Have you tried Elnett? I love it! I don't use hairspray very often but when I do - this is one of my faves! Drugstore, but a little more expensive....

I have read some reviews and many have mentioned that it has quite a strong smell that lingers. Otherwise it sounds great. What is your experience with the scent?

Funny seeing an old makeup thread again.;) I wear "Drugstore"

mascara and it has always worked fine for me....Maybelline, Great Lash.

Actually I just bought a new one today:)

I use Aveeno to wash my face and recently tried their shampoo and

and conditioner. I love the way my hair feels:D

The drugstore brands I have tried either smell bad (Tresemme; I tried both aerosol and pump), smell good but don't hold well (Garnier Fructisse), or hold well but leave my hair feeling "crunchy" (a slightly higher-end aerosol spray that I otherwise liked).

Any suggestions?

I use this brand and love it. It's a little expensive, but you can get them when they're on sale, use the Ulta coupons and it saves a lot.I also love the travel sizes and bring them on a cruise . :http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod4270009

And this http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod4270021

Edited by Moon Orchid

I have read some reviews and many have mentioned that it has quite a strong smell that lingers. Otherwise it sounds great. What is your experience with the scent?

There's an unscented version now!!

(there's also a Target store coupon now you can print from their site if you're interested:p)

The smell never bothered me, but for you, I would absolutely try the unscented.