Big Mistake

Corvette

I made a big mistake booking Oceania CC cabin. I paid $800 extra and for what? This is what they give you for an extra $800. Not even real champagne or a free cocktail in the lounge. Never will I do this again..going back to X RCL and Regent.

* Welcome Bottle of French Sparkling Wine (Categories A1-A3, PH)

* Cashmere Throw Blanket

* Complimentary Tote Bag

* Hand-held hair dryer

Upgraded bathroom amenities and toiletries (Oceania Branded made in Italy and France, plus French milled soap, shower cap, cotton balls, Q tips & emery board)

In addition to the stateroom amenities, Oceania Cruises' Concierge Level staterooms also offer guests special service enhancements.

• Priority Embarkation at 11:00am and Dedicated Check-in desk

• Priority luggage delivery

• Priority Restaurant Reservations

• Complimentary Shoeshine Service

• Complimentary pressing of two garments

I do not book Oceania at this level, but my initial reaction is that all of this information is completely, fully disclosed in all the literature you get from Oceania, so why are you surprised/upset?:confused:

I suppose I assumed that since there was to be a separate CC lounge on Marina that it would offer breakfast or at least canapes like all the other lines do when they have a CC lounge. Well learned my lesson and will never book that cat again. This will be my first cruise on Oceania so hope I like it.

I suppose I assumed that since there was to be a separate CC lounge on Marina that it would offer breakfast or at least canapes like all the other lines do when they have a CC lounge. Well learned my lesson and will never book that cat again. This will be my first cruise on Oceania so hope I like it.

What you quoted is for the R-ships

for the Marina

Exclusive Concierge Level Special Amenities

(In Addition to Receiving All Stateroom Amenities)

* Exclusive Access to Private Concierge Lounge

* Services of a Dedicated Concierge

* Welcome Bottle of Champagne

* Laptop Computer with Wireless Internet Access+

* L’Occitane Toiletries

* 1,000-Thread-Count Linens

* Cashmere Lap Blanket

* Complimentary Oceania Cruises Logo Tote Bag

Exclusive Concierge Level Special Privileges

* Priority Early Embarkation and Dedicated Check-In Desk

* Priority Luggage Delivery

* Priority Restaurant Reservations in Toscana, Polo Grill, Jacques and Red Ginger

* Complimentary Shoe Shine

* Complimentary Pressing of Garments upon Embarkation++

+Internet usage charges apply.

++Limitations apply.

for the Marina the Concierge lounge ...still a work in progress

Lyn

Sorry, Corvette you are disappointed but as CintiPam and countless others have posted their opinions about, this is old news. I do book these cabins, but not for the amenities listed. I choose my cabin for location and square footage. Just a personal preference, so if I don't expect anything else, I am not disappointed. What I look forward to are the extra nights in the Speciality Restaurants, but it isn't the reason I booked the concierge cabin. I like the extra room to chase myself around the room :D

Corvette - I don't believe CC on O is worth it unless you want to be GUARANTEED 2 extra meals in the specialty restaurants.

As one poster said, the real benefit to CC on most lines is the cabin choice. On O, we don't think it's a big deal (not on the R ships) as we book an Outside on the R ships. Balconies are too tiny to be usable. On Celebrity M ships we pay for CC to get a huge aft balcony. It's about the cabin, not the extra hors d'oeuvres (which I can live without since I do believe I am sufficiently fed on any cruise LOL)

If you really love your cabin location and size and want those extra meals in Toscana and Polo, you will not be disappointed. Sailing on O is a treat in any class of service.

In the past, concierge class on the Regatta class ships (categories A1, A2 and A3) included a refrigerator while those in category B and below did not. Even earlier, the Cat B and below cabins did not have a DVD player or a hand-held hair dryer. Now, or in the near future as the updates are completed, all cabins will have a fridge and all categories have had hand-held hairdryers and DVDs for some time, now.

There isn't much difference in location -- category A cabins are mostly on deck 7, and category B cabins are on Deck 6.

A Knitter, you may be thinking of Penthouse suites instead of concierge, because there is absolutely no difference in size between concierge and categories B, C, D and F (cat E is smaller, and there are 4 cat C cabins on decks 6 and 7 that are slightly larger because they incorporate space that would normally be a balcony).

There are dozens of past threads about the value of the Concierge class cabins. There is no concierge lounge on the Regatta class ships; there is no dedicated concierge person for this class of cabins (there is a concierge person who is available to everyone aboard). I have chosen concierge class in the past because I really, really wanted the fridge, but now that there is (or will be) a fridge in every cabin, they will have to roll out some new perks for me to book category A. I'm in a category B4 on 3 Marina voyages new year. I don't need the space, and I don't care about location other than avoiding forward cabins in rough seas.

I DO like stern cabins, and will book one any chance I get, category A or B.

These are all decisions that should be examined and decided BEFORE booking, on any ship on any cruise line. For me, that's the most important function of Cruise Critic.

By the way, concierge class DOES include a special menu for hot breakfasts in the cabin; lower categories get a continental breakfast. And, as several have mentioned, those guaranteed extra nights in the specialty restaurants are nice -- but not worth the fare differential.

In the past, concierge class on the Regatta class ships (categories A1, A2 and A3) included a refrigerator while those in category B and below did not. Even earlier, the Cat B and below cabins did not have a DVD player or a hand-held hair dryer. Now, or in the near future as the updates are completed, all cabins will have a fridge and all categories have had hand-held hairdryers and DVDs for some time, now.

There isn't much difference in location -- category A cabins are mostly on deck 7, and category B cabins are on Deck 6.

A Knitter, you may be thinking of Penthouse suites instead of concierge, because there is absolutely no difference in size between concierge and categories B, C, D and F (cat E is smaller, and there are 4 cat C cabins on decks 6 and 7 that are slightly larger because they incorporate space that would normally be a balcony).

There are dozens of past threads about the value of the Concierge class cabins. There is no concierge lounge on the Regatta class ships; there is no dedicated concierge person for this class of cabins (there is a concierge person who is available to everyone aboard). I have chosen concierge class in the past because I really, really wanted the fridge, but now that there is (or will be) a fridge in every cabin, they will have to roll out some new perks for me to book category A. I'm in a category B4 on 3 Marina voyages new year. I don't need the space, and I don't care about location other than avoiding forward cabins in rough seas.

I DO like stern cabins, and will book one any chance I get, category A or B.

These are all decisions that should be examined and decided BEFORE booking, on any ship on any cruise line. For me, that's the most important function of Cruise Critic.

By the way, concierge class DOES include a special menu for hot breakfasts in the cabin; lower categories get a continental breakfast. And, as several have mentioned, those guaranteed extra nights in the specialty restaurants are nice -- but not worth the fare differential.

Right you are as usual Don. I prefer the Aft or Bow of the ship and those are usually the concierge categories. The PH was in fact bigger and that was a treat for my 55th. Although it was wonderful to have a Butler, the best part was the in cabin dining from the Specialty Restaurants. Would I pay extra just for that, no, but location, location, location, yes.

Looking forward to the Marina a year away and you must be excited to be a part of it in a few short months. Can't wait for yours and others reviews. :)

This is my first Oceania post so ... be nice to me!

Every person has their own wants and needs when it comes to cruising and for me it usually comes down to the the balcony "real estate", notably the size and location.

I have booked my first Oceania cruise on Marina and will be travelling with friends who have usually travelled in Concierge class on Oceania. We have all been somewhat surprised that what appears to be the largest and most desirable balconies are indeed, the cheapest!

The aft verandas on deck 7 appear to be about triple depth on the deck plans and are born out on examination of photos of the actual ship in construction.

It sort-of seems weird that these were not classified as a "premium" cabin ... which brings me back to the OP's thread.

I agree - Concierge Class doesn't get you much but I also agree with the responses - it's all carefully spelled out in the category descriptions.

I guess that my meandering point is that through CC and the cruise line itself, there's a lot of information out there and a little bit of work and research will prevent unpleasant surprises and sometimes come up with unexpected treats!

Actually the aft cabins on deck 7 are concierge cabins. The aft cabins on deck 6 are not concierge and are slightly deeper than those on deck 7 and 8 - hence they have always been our first choice - cabins 6090 and 6093.

Sorry, after posting this I see you were writing about the Marina - I was writing about the other three ships. Our friends are joining us on the Marina and they have booked a cabin on deck 7 aft after looking at the photos, as well.

Not that I disagree with Corvette but the not real champagne. In France unless the wine comes from the champagne region it can't be called champagne - it might be exactly the same or better than many French champagnes but it can't be called that. According to many "wine authorities" what we have as US domestic shouldn't be called champagne either.

Not even real champagne

Champagne is defined by where it is made and not by the quality of the contents of the bottle. There is some wonderful California "champagne" that is not champagne. There is also some louse French champagne that is real champagne.

Select your wines by what is in the bottle, not what is on the label.

DON

Actually the aft cabins on deck 7 are concierge cabins. The aft cabins on deck 6 are not concierge and are slightly deeper than those on deck 7 and 8 - hence they have always been our first choice - cabins 6090 and 6093.

Sorry, after posting this I see you were writing about the Marina - I was writing about the other three ships. Our friends are joining us on the Marina and they have booked a cabin on deck 7 aft after looking at the photos, as well.

Benita, there is a difference between aft cabins, which are any cabins in the after part of the ship, and stern cabins, which are the ones to which you are referring.

You and Dr. Cocktail are correct about the balcony cabins on Deck 7. Starting with 7108 on the port side and 7111 on the starboard side, the balconies are considerably deeper. The same is true of a few of the cabins in the forward part of the ship. I've booked 7108 for two of my cruises on Marina, but was a little late on one of them and had to settle for 7118.

When I first saw the deck plans, I had my TA call Oceania and received a response from Tim Rubacky, who said, "The biggest balconies are indeed at the least expensive price for a veranda stateroom."

Benita, there is a difference between aft cabins, which are any cabins in the after part of the ship, and stern cabins, which are the ones to which you are referring.

You and Dr. Cocktail are correct about the balcony cabins on Deck 7. Starting with 7108 on the port side and 7111 on the starboard side, the balconies are considerably deeper. The same is true of a few of the cabins in the forward part of the ship. I've booked 7108 for two of my cruises on Marina, but was a little late on one of them and had to settle for 7118.

When I first saw the deck plans, I had my TA call Oceania and received a response from Tim Rubacky, who said, "The biggest balconies are indeed at the least expensive price for a veranda stateroom."

Does this hold true for the Aft cabins on deck 7 on the Marina?

My TA told me that the rear penthouse suites on deck 7 on the Marina have no rear facing windows or balconies.

The balcony is on the side of the ship and it doesn't wrap around.

Does any one know if that is correct because if the balcony does face the rear I would have certainly booked it. I ended up with PH 10029 very close to the middle but not!

No matter, I am so excited. It is my first time on Oceania!

The value or lack of value of the CC benefits is in the eye of the beholder. But since the OP is sailing on the Marina, there should be ample time to change her reservation to a non-CC cabin at a lesser cost.

I don't think we know what will be in the CC lounge at this time. Looking forward to finding out.

I sailed on CC cabins on Celebrity and there's no CC lounge offered, but there is an expanded room service breakfast menu and afternoon canapes, same as O offers.

Well learned my lesson and will never book that cat again. This will be my first cruise on Oceania so hope I like it.

Maybe you can ask for a downgrade back to a B Cat ..I am sure others would take the upsell to A and be happy about it

Hope you enjoy the cruise anyway

Lyn

We had one, 7012, on Insignia last summer. Came with some amenities, some French champagne, a fridge and hot room service breakfast, plus extra specialty restaurant reservations (we got extra dinners there when the main dining room was too busy anyway.)

I paid a little more for concierge and felt I got what I paid for.

I would not have used a "special" concierge class lounge though. Our onboard friends were from inside cabins to suites. We enjoyed seeing them all and would have felt strange if someone was excluded for not booking a special cabin. Everyone was paying a good deal of coin for the trip, and the "inside cabin" folks were taking 3 back to back cruises, hence were "better" customers than we were (plus repeat customers.)

We had one, 7012, on Insignia last summer. Came with some amenities, some French champagne, a fridge and hot room service breakfast, plus extra specialty restaurant reservations (we got extra dinners there when the main dining room was too busy anyway.)

I paid a little more for concierge and felt I got what I paid for.

Since all champagne is French, other "bubblies" are classified as sparkling wine. The last time we had "French Champagne" (Perrior Jouet) as a concierge perk was in 2005. We have cruised many times since with Oceania in concierge but we got sparkling wine. Our last cruise with them was 2009 IST-SIN and are leaving this weekend for b2b IST-CPT and CPT-SIN. That would be great is they have gone back to Champagne. What label of Champage did you get? Can't wait to have some again.

[

Since all champagne is French, other "bubblies" are classified as sparkling wine. The last time we had "French Champagne" (Perrior Jouet) as a concierge perk was in 2005. We have cruised many times since with Oceania in concierge but we got sparkling wine. Our last cruise with them was 2009 IST-SIN and are leaving this weekend for b2b IST-CPT and CPT-SIN. That would be great is they have gone back to Champagne. What label of Champage did you get? Can't wait to have some again.

Real Champagne in OS this past May-June. It was non-vintage Perrior Jouet and very good by our standards.:)

I think they serve Perrier Jouet at the Captain's M & G and also the Past Guest party.

We found we prefer it over Mumm's now when we have Champagne ;)

We also like Pol Roger ...we are not connoisseurs by any means but we know what we like ;)

Lyn

Archived