Carnival Live News Conference about Splendor at 3pm

Litewait

Cahill would not elaborate beyond next weeks cruise. More would be announce after an accessment of repair needs..

I think it was very good conference, very straight forward, answered all the questions as best they could. Glad to see he is here in San Diego and giving a face to the company.

I agree they did a great job with the press conference. Make a point to apologize over and over for what happened, took total ownership, kept reiterating that their top priorities were:

1. Safety of pax and crew

2. Return as soon as possible

3. Making pax and crew as comfortable as possible

from facebook:

Carnival Cruise Lines

Here’s the latest: Carnival Cruise Lines President & CEO, Gerry Cahill just conducted a news conference in San Diego and provided an update on Carnival Splendor’s return, expected for tomorrow afternoon. He apologized to guests for the challenging situation and thanked them for their patience. He also thanked the Captain and crew for their efforts and the US Coast Guard and US Navy for their support.

I agree they did a great job with the press conference. Make a point to apologize over and over for what happened, took total ownership, kept reiterating that their top priorities were:

I could not get the link...thank you so much for posting what you could on here !!

Wanna_Cruize - awesome reprint of press confernce - thank you so much !

http://www.cbs8.com/

LIVE STREAM @ 3PM: Carnival Cruise Lines holds a news conference on disabled cruise ship's return to San Diego.

Our local station is posting that Carnival will hold a press conference regarding the Splendor at 3pm today..

Thanks for posting the link for the LIVE STREAM, it was very informative.

Did they bring up the passengers whose bags were accidently dumped in water before leaving and taken to laundry and those guests have nothing to wear but bathrobes? I feel so sorry for them but all appears to be upbeat and good to see people helping people. Makes you want to book a balcony after this.

thank you so much for typing this out for all of us...it is really appreciated...

also kudos to Carnival for having their priorities in order...

I get lots of practice trying to document the action on Big Brother's live feeds during the summer!

WC - totally understand BB... you nailed it in summarizing the press conference.

Just off Glory for 5 days to Bahamas as our 1st cruise with Suites. Spent way to much, but now know how to minimize costs where we can. VERY VERY pleased to see how Carnival reacted to this emergency and would cruise with them again based not only on our experience with Glory, but in how they have handled the Splendor.

ONLY suggestion, and would love others to put holes in it, is given the food/no refrig, if in charge, I would have had all the room stewards to Kitchen. Then would have delivered "food/water" kits to the room each day based on number of people in room. The stewards can't do more than make up the beds (no laundry, no fresh towels/sheets), so the time would have been better served to help deliver to rooms food/water/rations instead of making guest go to one location and stand in line for 2 hours as reported.

For example - Delivered to room -

AKA, Balcony Suite - 3 people = 3 large bottles of water (1.5 liters each), 3 packets of PopTarts, 3 cans of Spam, 6 pieces of fruit (assorted), 3 butter dishes of peanut butter, 3 butter dishes of jelly, and one loaf of bread with utensils. (or something like this)

This would have saved the disabled/invalid/diabetic people from having to wait 2 hours for rations and traveling to the Lido deck and people hoarding food without knowing if they really needed it.

IN addition to this, they could have had bar, water, snacks available on one deck (aka Lido), but would have saved the passengers the stress and wait time to make sure 3,000+ passengers showing up at one area got their provisions. If initiated immediately, people would have felt taken care of and anyone showing up would just be getting extras.

This is the only hindsight suggestion I have for Carnival. Otherwise, it seems they have done a good job on the outside looking in so far.

Archived