Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

Let me preface this by saying that I know little about interstate commerce, etc....

But would it make more (or less if you educate me) sense to spend the extra day at sea and tug the boat to San Diego? Looks like they restored running (albeit, cold) water and toilet facilities. Perhaps they can restore additional utilities today.

But I see quite an inconvenience in debarking 3000 passengers in Ensenada, going through customs, and providing dozens of busses across the border for them to endure a day-long drive, have the pax cross the border (again) to get them to San Diego.

Plus, wouldn't it be more prudent to repair the boat in an American port?

Unless conditions on the Splendour are a threat to health and/or safety, I'd rather stay on a drifting boat and make the best of it rather than face the prospect of a potentially untenable situation in Ensanada, knowing the prospect of getting to SD isn't going to be pretty.

I'm certain I'm missing something here, and I welcome your comments to better educate me on the decision to debark everyone in Mexico rather than spend the day at sea and go straight to San Diego.

Thanks,

Alan

At the hospital where I work, the provision for loss of water is to put trash bags in the toilets. They can then be changed as needed. Perhaps the ship is doing that?

I think the suction on those toilets would pull the bags right on down. I cant imagine being the one to have to remove those plastic bags and dispose of them.

Let me preface this by saying that I know little about interstate commerce, etc....

But would it make more (or less if you educate me) sense to spend the extra day at sea and tug the boat to San Diego? Looks like they restored running (albeit, cold) water and toilet facilities. Perhaps they can restore additional utilities today.

But I see quite an inconvenience in debarking 3000 passengers in Ensenada, going through customs, and providing dozens of busses across the border for them to endure a day-long drive, have the pax cross the border (again) to get them to San Diego.

Unless conditions on the Splendour are a threat to health and/or safety, I'd rather stay on a drifting boat and make the best of it rather than face the prospect of a potentially untenable situation in Ensanada, knowing the prospect of getting to SD isn't going to be pretty.

I'm certain I'm missing something here, and I welcome your comments to better educate me on the decision to debark everyone in Mexico rather than spend the day at sea and go straight to San Diego.

Thanks,

Alan

I'm assuming Ensenada because a ship can't leave from a US port without docking in a foreign port or they face fines. That's the simple version...someone else can probably give you more specifics.

I'm assuming Ensenada because a ship can't leave from a US port without docking in a foreign port or they face fines. That's the simple version...someone else can probably give you more specifics.
Fines are not an issue they would get a waver from the PSA because it is classed as an emergency.

Thanks,

Alan

well they have to get the passangers off the ship . for many resons ,its not that far from cali .just getting the ship to ensanada will be alot of work the splendor is a good size ship .its not pretty but sometimes travel is a real pain . but so worth it .im sure the lil bar right off the dock in ensanada will be just packed sounds like carnival is doing a good job so far

Thanks,

Alan

I'm pretty sure that no hot water, no hot food and no ac are considered a threat to both the health and safety of the passengers and crew.

Also there is no way any medical problems can be handeled.

Best thing is to get everybody off the ship at the closest port, Get them back in country and then carnival can worry about getting the ship back to whatever port they need to start inspection and repairs.

Once they dump the passengers, I imagine the crew will stay on Splendor. If they can't get a generator or two working, I think Splendor will be towed back to the US.

I doubt the Jones Act is a factor in Carnival's decision - there will no doubt be lots of lawsuits and forcing passengers to spend an extra day would cost more than any possible, albeit unlikely, fine.

I'm pretty sure that no hot water, no hot food and no ac are considered a threat to both the health and safety of the passengers and crew.

Also there is no way any medical problems can be handeled.

Best thing is to get everybody off the ship at the closest port, Get them back in country and then carnival can worry about getting the ship back to whatever port they need to start inspection and repairs.

Defintely got it.

I ask because, if the crew can get running water back within the day, how practical it would be to get hot water and food. But your answer is most probably the right one.

(though I. for one, would rather stay on the boat and hang on the deck - don't need hot food or hot water to enjoy my time!!!)

Thanks.

Uh please explain to me how being trapped on a ship with no electricity, no AC and broken toliets beats a day at work? And they did get a refund and a free cruise as they should. You people are unbelievable.

As you can see I posted my reply as soon as news broke out. I was not aware of the conditions until later in the day. And yes any day beats a day at work.

What's unbeliavable is the way people attack other people's post.

I would expect that the Splendor will be towed to a suitable repair facility, my guess would be San Francisco.

I wonder what Carnival will do with the passenger service crewmembers once the ship makes either Ensenada or the repair port. Do they stay on longer and clean the parts of the ship that need regular cleaning? Once that is done, at least for the time being do they re-assign them to other ships for the time being until their contracts expire and essentially have maximum crew levels on ships or do they have a contract provision where they release crew members and void their current contracts?

I simply don't believe that Splendor is sailing with passengers anytime soon. I could be wrong but I think she is out of business for 6-24 weeks.

I loved the comment about the toilets all "swooshing" at the same time! Also, if I was a passenger I would love the fact that basically i just got a "free" cruise being they are getting completely reimbursed and recieving a future comparable cruise. It can't be too bad on the ship right now, I would just grab my book and find a deck to sit on and enjoy the weather.

Klev hit the nail on the head. My wife and I were discussing this last night. It will take about 100 buses for the passengers plus 6000 odd pieces of luggage.

Can you imaging what it will be like at the San Ysidro border crossing into the US??

Our hearts go out to the passengers and crew.

I have had it happen twice- fortunately just lost power. Once on the old Sun Princess in the Inside Passage and once on the Silver Cloud off South America.

I doubt there is a single passenger who wants to stay on that ship for a minute more than they have to. Tow to the nearest port is absolutely the right decision because I'm sure the passengers feel trapped in a situation completely out of their control. Once in Mexico, at least they can make their own decisions....rent a car, take a bus, get a meal. Psychologically, that will make a tremendous difference.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4211

This is the official statement of Cruise Critic.

According to this - they still have toilets, navigation, and emergency lighting and electric. They are eating sandwiches and the like and the passengers are comfortable.

This really shakes me up...our kids are on the Dream and my heart went flip flop when I heard about the fire.

Our prayers and hopes are with the crew and the passengers and the Coast Guard.

As you can see I posted my reply as soon as news broke out. I was not aware of the conditions until later in the day. And yes any day beats a day at work.

Whats unbeliavable is people attacking other peoples post.

I don't know where you work but most people do not have an endless amount of vacation days. These people are not going to get back the vacation days that they wasted sitting on a broken ship.

Klev hit the nail on the head. My wife and I were discussing this last night. It will take about 100 buses for the passengers plus 6000 odd pieces of luggage.

Can you imaging what it will be like at the San Ysidro border crossing into the US??

Our hearts go out to the passengers and crew.

I have had it happen twice- fortunately just lost power. Once on the old Sun Princess in the Inside Passage and once on the Silver Cloud off South America.

They will probably clear all the passengers and luggage as they come off the ship and then put them on the bus so that they are just waved through. Customs is the least of their concerns. the cruise lines do this all the time and I can assure you that between them and CBP they have it down to an art.

But would it make more (or less if you educate me) sense to spend the extra day at sea and tug the boat to San Diego?

Tug tow to San Diego would be longer than "one day"

I GUARANTEE people smarter and more knowledgeable than you or I have looked into this option and have determined that the best option is to debark passengers at the nearest possible port.

Persons without the proper documentation to re-enter the USA from mexico (read, no passport) might have to stay on the ship until it goes to san diego. That's what's happened in the past.

I would do that, but my fiance isn't a huge disneyfan, unlike me :) Plus the fact that it is a week away from Christmas, Disneyland will so crowded. I use to have a season pass when I live in Los Angeles and Christmas is one of their busiest times. I'm just going to have to sit tight like everyone that has a cruise booked on the Splendor and hope that the damages weren't that bad. I've called a few hotels in the area to see what their availabity is for that day, but since it is right before Christmas, most are booked for holiday parties. Hope they have some updates with useful information about upcoming Splendor cruises soon!

Perhaps see if RCCL has any cabins (and wedding space) for that sailing date? Or see what there is going out of San Diego maybe that day or close?

Wonder how long it will be until we can actually some pictures of the damage. Atleast there is no major damage according to that report so i think it might be just a quick fix and a paint job

Where did you get no major damage? The coast guard said no structural damage, NOT no major damage. I can assure you that there is major damage and it is going to take weeks to repair, not days.

Archived