Murder Mystery Dinner

hototo

We particpated in the Murder Mystery Dinner on the Nordam recently. It took place in the Pinnacle Grill and was to be a 6-7 course dinner with a variety of wines and a murder mystery. It cost $65 per person.

The murder mystery was fun and parts were taken by the ships social director, DJ and other staff.

The meal turned out to be a "gourmet" meal with very strange wines. There was little actual food (very small portions). The wines were bitter and not enjoyable.

The sad part was that no one ever told us and the other 100 people at the dinnerthat it wouldn't bethe normal Pinnacle food. To add insult to injury they priced it on out ship board credit as $20 for food and $45 for the wine. They then added 15% gratuity to the $45 since it was alcohol. So the evening costs my wife and I a total of $130 + gratuity of $13.50.

After the dinner we went to our room and ordered room service because we were so hungry.

I suggest that no one else wastes their time or money do the murder mystery dinner if it is offered on your ship.

We particpated in the Murder Mystery Dinner on the Nordam recently. It took place in the Pinnacle Grill and was to be a 6-7 course dinner with a variety of wines and a murder mystery. It cost $65 per person.

The murder mystery was fun and parts were taken by the ships social director, DJ and other staff.

The meal turned out to be a "gourmet" meal with very strange wines. There was little actual food (very small portions). The wines were bitter and not enjoyable.

The sad part was that no one ever told us and the other 100 people at the dinnerthat it wouldn't bethe normal Pinnacle food. To add insult to injury they priced it on out ship board credit as $20 for food and $45 for the wine. They then added 15% gratuity to the $45 since it was alcohol. So the evening costs my wife and I a total of $130 + gratuity of $13.50.

After the dinner we went to our room and ordered room service because we were so hungry.

I suggest that no one else wastes their time or money do the murder mystery dinner if it is offered on your ship.

My what a shock and disappointment for both of you. Thanks for the heads-up.:eek:

And that is why this board is so great....

If a murder mystery dinner had been offered, we probably would have signed up thinking it would be a lot of fun and that we would be getting a pinnacle dinner...... and we would have been just as disappointed as you.

Sorry you had to be ripped off, but I really appreciate that you warned the rest of us!

WOW...... Thanks for the heads up. When I read the title I thought that it sounded fun.I'm sure glad I discovered this site,so much useful information passes through these boards. Once again thanks for taking the time to post your experience.

If this is offered on our cruise on the Nieuw Ansterdam in a couple weeks, I think I will give it a try, just to see and experience it for myself.

I'm sorry you were disappointed. But, this is the first I'd even heard of it and different folks like different things. For me, I'd wave the wine for water as I do not drink.

Joanie

I'd try it too. Sometimes what other people call "tiny portions" my wife and I find just right, particularly in a multi-course experience like this. Also, the derogitory terms in the OP such as "gourmet meal" and "strange wines" sound like a great experience, to me. The last thing I'd want on-board is another mediocre meal off the standard PG menu!

We participated in the Mystery Dinner on the Prinsendam a year ago. It was great fun, however, the food was marginal and the wines not so good.

We found the same true of a recent chef's dinner that we attended on the Volendam. The food was actually quite good overall, however, the wines for the most part were not good, some actually being from the Navigator's wine list. For the price, we expected much better wines.

Live and learn. No more special dinners for us.

To the OP: I was sorry to read you were so disappointed.

Still, I agree with Iceman93 and Joanie. It sounds like the show provided was well done. As we were aboard the Eurodam in September, the widely divergent contemporary comments about the fare offered in its venues reminded me just how subjective our opinions about food and wine tend to be. While I take the OP's comments as something of a "fair warning," I'd definitely give this a try if it was offered on our upcoming voyage.

I'm glad to see the PG being utilized for special evenings once or twice a cruise. Sounds like they are going upscale with not only the Le Cirque evening but a gourmet tasting menu and special entertainment on another night. I would love to try it. There's plenty of nights left to pig-out on a 20 oz bone-in ribeye. ;)

What was the menu and options? The majority of people go to the Pinnacle for Steak. I like the idea of the Murder Mystery, but not changing the menu.

Below is what what served on our April-May 2009 Prinsendam TA. Not sure if the menu is standard to all ships and may have changed over the past year but this should give you and idea.

Murder Mystery Dinner – April 16, 2009

MS Prinsendam

“Alexander Bensonhurst-Wraithwait III’s

Birthday Celebration”

Lightly poached egg, topped with a duo of caviar

Grand Royale Champagne

Chilled tomato bisque, served with shrimp and crab

Linguine pasta, tossed with roma tomatoes, rosemary and basil

Santa Carolina Tres Estellas Chardonnay, D.O. Valle Central 2006

Citrus seared tuna, on a bed of grapefruit scented salad

Filet of beef tenderloin, served with gratin potatoes, Sicilian caponata

and roasted vegetables

Canepa Carmenere, D.O. Valle Central, Chile, 2007

Cointreau Truffle Torte with Blueberry Benedictine Sauce

Harvey’s Amontillado Sherry, Spain

Bob

Just be sure to check ahead of time. I attended a Mystery Dinner last fall on the Amsterdam and it was WONDERFUL!! There was no extra charge for the evening just the normal Pinacle charge. Everyone had the same food and there was no wine included (unless you ordered it separately.) The evening was GREAT fun so be sure to check on your particular setup before saying you would never do it.

Was there a flyer or notice in the daily program? How did you hear they were offering it? Didn't that 'source' inform the costs involved? Was everyone who attended just as surprised (disappointed) as you? Did some of them know there was an alternate menu and wines were charged separate?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to understand how people would not have been able to know what to expect when they book a 'special evening'.

Thanks.

For some of the Sommelier dinners that we have gone to --we were told about it by the Pinnacle manager -- also the cost.

A couple of times they were advertised in the Daily Program.

That has been our experience also, KK.

We have always been advised the cost and what was involved.

That menu sounds delicious to me, and quite different from the usual offerings in the MDR or the PG... which is great! I don't sail nearly as often as some folks here, but still I enjoy variety to include new experiences and new meals. I definitely hope to experience a murder mystery dinner on an upcoming sailing!

And that is why this board is so great....

If a murder mystery dinner had been offered, we probably would have signed up thinking it would be a lot of fun and that we would be getting a pinnacle dinner...... and we would have been just as disappointed as you.

Sorry you had to be ripped off, but I really appreciate that you warned the rest of us!

DH and I would have gone also; that was why I looked at the thread, expecting to find rave reviews. Thanks from us too.

If this is offered on our cruise on the Nieuw Ansterdam in a couple weeks, I think I will give it a try, just to see and experience it for myself.

I'm sorry you were disappointed. But, this is the first I'd even heard of it and different folks like different things. For me, I'd wave the wine for water as I do not drink.

Joanie

Now Joanie - you just passed up the Penthouse Suite for your Aft wrap around and you want us to believe that you arn't going to pass up this oppurtunty!!!! hehe! I just had to post this after seeing your thread about passing up a Penthouse!!!!! Hope you have a wonderful cruise. come back and let us know if they had a MM dinner and how you liked it!!!

Archived