tipping Maitre D for what reason ?

What would be the reason you would tip Maitre D ? This was our first cruise so bare with me. We went to the dining room most nights, we were there for first night we we saw the Maitre D give his introductions of the head staff, when he got the staff to do thier dance, and thier farewell song. Not once did he approach us, come to the table.... nothing. We received an envelope in our room so that we could tip him... What was the reason we should tip him? Pardon my ignorance but the front hostess were the ones we tipped extra..... they went out of thier way for us without us even asking for anything special. Every night when we went in for dinner we just told them where every they want to seat us was great for us. The hostess knew us by name the Maitre D did not know we were even there but his hand was out to receive that envelope on the last night. Please educate me on this.

Some folks tip him if he's able to change your seating assignment for you, if you don't like the one you were given (this obviously doesn't include anytime dining).

Me and DH rarely eat in MDR (maybe 2-3 times on a 7+ nighter), so I have never tipped a Maitre D. I'm sure folks will flame me for that, but I'd rather give extra to the folks doing the grunt work.

The "theory" is that the Maitre d' is the one who trains and manages everyone (from the Hostess to the Assist Waiters) so that your dining experience is everything it should be.

But since he/or she already makes a salary, this "tip" is up to the individual.

This is not like the cabin stewards or wait staff that do indeed depend on tips for their salary.

Personally, we always tip the Maitre d' because they handle a special need for our son. And since we need special assistance, then we feel like ( in our case ) they are earning a tip.

However, each individual has to decide if they have (or have not) earned a tip from them. This is an instance where it is a true "tip" .... therefore up to the individual who gives it.

I don't subscribe to the idea that you tip the Maitre d' if you are happy with the overall service. Especially now, with the pooled tips and anytime dining, you don't even directly tip wait staff.

If the Maitre d' has done something for you personally, like handle a special request or work out some problem for you, and you are happy with that, a tip is appropriate.

But as a matter of course we do not tip the Maitre d'.

We generally do not tip the MD unless he has done something special for us.

My DW has food allergies and each night the hostess will come to our table to preorder food for the next night and than make sure it is done correctly. For that she gets a very generous tip.

I think this is a great question because I've always wondered the same thing. Why should I tip someone I've never had any interaction with?

On my last cruise we finally had a maitre d' worth tipping. We didn't have any special requests for him, but he was always present and clearly overseeing our well-being. He went around to every table and interacted with all the passengers most nights. I also saw him at every food venue the during the cruise ensuring that the food was presented properly. He even greeted passengers one evening at the metal detectors as we re-boarded the ship from a port. He did get a tip from me for showing me--finally--why a maitre d' should be tipped!

I have a feeling about which maitre'd you had...you were in the back dinng room correct? I too had that one and the M'd was useless. The hostess, Slavica was amazing and did more for me/us than the M'd. She got the tip, not the M'd!!!!!!!

I have tipped maitre'ds in the past cuz A) I've sailed with them before, B) He was so damn hot and so damn nice to us (alas, he died before I could see that hot stud muffin again), and C) They came to the table every night and made the experience special!

I have a feeling about which maitre'd you had...you were in the back dinng room correct? I too had that one and the M'd was useless. The hostess, Slavica was amazing and did more for me/us than the M'd. She got the tip, not the M'd!!!!!!!

I have tipped maitre'ds in the past cuz A) I've sailed with them before, B) He was so damn hot and so damn nice to us (alas, he died before I could see that hot stud muffin again), and C) They came to the table every night and made the experience special!

I LOVE HER!!! She is the best!!! I've handed her an envelope for her, too!!!

Yes, I leave a tip for the MD'. Many times he has helped us with tables and seating... or a bottle of wine... or other things.

But, on one ship -- I never saw him. I was seated way in the back... He did nothing special for us... And nope, I just took care of the waiters!!!

Now I do tip at lunch and breakfast when I get great service too!!! I think that's a thankless job!! And I always remember their names to be mentioned specifically to Carnival Corp!!!

My last cruise, the Maitre D' was so bad we didn't even get an envelope in our room. He came by our table the first night, that was it.

Ken Byrn, of course is another matter. I had the pleasure of having him as a Maitre D' a few months ago.

Melanie

My last cruise, the Maitre D' was so bad we didn't even get an envelope in our room. He came by our table the first night, that was it.

Ken Byrn, of course is another matter. I had the pleasure of having him as a Maitre D' a few months ago.

Melanie

Got to love Ken. So sad he's off the Legend.

I thought it was really tacky when I walked onto the MDR on that last night and the M'D was standing there collecting the loot. It was the only night he was greeting guests as they arrived.

I'm sure he did a great job as the service, meals and entertainment was all very good, but he is paid a real salary.

If I had any special request I would happily tip the M'D.

We are very easy to please and we only took our kids to the MDR a couple of times - but we still left the full tips in place of course.

I would prefer to give any extra tips to the room steward or waiters.

the head waiter is included in your tips...there's no reason to tip the Maitre' d unless they do something major for you!

You are posting Royal Caribbean info on a Carnival board. Carnival's head waiter is the waiter serving you, wheras the Royal Caribban head waiter is really one step down from the Maitre D.

We tipped him our last cruise because we were next to the Captains Table, and shared waiters with the Captain. He was there at every turn, filling glasses, bringing/clearing plates, and was genuinely interested in how our meal and cruise was. My prior two cruises, I don't think I ever saw the Maitre'D leave his station/desk.

We tipped the Maitre D' Paul on our last cruise. We were in the London Dining Room. Every night he was there to greet us. He came around to our table at least once every night. He always asked about the food and would let us know about the shows coming up. On my DD's birthday he came around twice. Every night was Showtime with the waiters and the last two night our waittress invited DD to dance with them. One night my DH only ate a couple bites of his main entree because he just didn't personally care for it, nothing really wrong, just not his taste. Our waitress had asked a couple of times about bringing him something different but he was full from the appetizer and looking forward to dessert (he'd ordered choc. melting cake), so he declined. When the maitre d' asked if everything was to our liking we were on our dessert and said yes. Then our waitress told him DH had not liked the entree. We had to talk the maitre d' out of going and fetching something right then for him.

We had gotten a special table just as requested over to the side. We did not have to make any changes because it was already set up for us ahead of time when I first checked our table.

By the 2nd night of the cruise he was greeting my DD by name. Our special needs hostess Nicoletta was there every evening to plan the gluten-free meals. We tipped her as well.

I believe the maitre d' sets the tone and professionalism for the entire staff. All the staff were very hard working and eager to please. We could not have been more pleased. We felt in our situation a tip was appropriate.

But I am also one of those that feel tipping is a personal decision. I would not criticise one who chose not to tip the maitre d'.

Archived