For Those Who Have Been on Alaska Cruises -- Jeans Question

Terre

We're going on our first Alaskan cruise next year and I'm wondering if dining is more relaxed than on Caribbean cruises. My question is -- and please don't flame me -- are really nice jeans allowed at dinner? I have a really pretty sweater that I want to take, but it looks better with jeans than regular pants. The jeans I wear with it are not ripped or faded anywhere and don't really look like jeans.

I have NEVER worn jeans to dinner, but really love this sweater and am having a hard time deciding what to pack for this cruise regarding dinner wear.

I believe that jeans are allowed, just not torn and faded ones. Someone will have the wording from Princess!

Thanks...no mine are not torn or faded...don't even really look like jeans. I will certainly abide by the rules, but wanted answers from those who have actually been on Alaska cruises and can answer with first hand knowledge.

Dining room requirements for Alaska as the same as everywhere else. NO jeans or shorts in the dining rooms. If you wish to wear jeans you will need to eat at the buffet for dinner.

I am not sure where you received your information from, but jeans are definitely allowed in the dining room on Princess ships. As long as they are not torn or freyed. They are even listed under the dress code as allowable on the Princess website.

Heck, on our one and only Alaska cruise many years ago, there was a man at our table on FORMAL night in jeans and a flannel shirt. So, it was even allowed way back when. ;)

Dining room requirements for Alaska as the same as everywhere else. NO jeans or shorts in the dining rooms. If you wish to wear jeans you will need to eat at the buffet for dinner.

Your information is blatently incorrect. Jeans are allowed in all Princess dining rooms on the smart casual nights as long as they aren't torn or frayed.

We see jeans in Alaska MDR even on the formal nights. On formal nights, they stand out. On other nights we still notice them, then continue to enjoy our evening. I think because so many wear jeans on deck for the weather it is easier to wear jeans to dinner for them.

Princess FAQ: Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Jeans, especially the ones you describe, are allowed. You will have shoes too, right? :rolleyes:

On 3 cruises to Alaska, I saw quite a few people wearing jeans to the dining room for dinner. They fit the Princess guidelines - no holes, no fraying. I never saw jeans in the dining room on formal night.

I think nice jeans on the smart, casual nights are fine - especially if you wear a nice sweater or blouse with them.

Let me say 'from observation' that we saw a lot more wearing jeans to dinner in Alaska than on any other itineary. ;)

I agree - saw more people wearing jeans to dinner in Alaska. Of course, who would want to wear jeans on a warm, tropical cruise like the Caribbean?:p

We're going on our first Alaskan cruise next year and I'm wondering if dining is more relaxed than on Caribbean cruises. My question is -- and please don't flame me -- are really nice jeans allowed at dinner? I have a really pretty sweater that I want to take, but it looks better with jeans than regular pants. The jeans I wear with it are not ripped or faded anywhere and don't really look like jeans.

I have NEVER worn jeans to dinner, but really love this sweater and am having a hard time deciding what to pack for this cruise regarding dinner wear.

On our last two Princess Alaska cruises, there have been several passengers wearing jeans in the MDR. Even on formal night we have seen jeans. Enjoy your cruise.:)

I would wear jeans to the dining room on a non-formal night in a heartbeat! I can wear a pair of jeans "dressed up" and feel pretty darn good in them! My jeans only go to the dry cleaners and look better than some casual pants that are considered appropriate wear for the dining room!

On our Alaskan cruise in July, DH wore jeans with a nice button down, collared shirt and he looked fine. I can honestly say I didn't notice what people were wearing in the dining room. My agenda was focused on EATING! LOL!

Although they aren't the most poplar choice to wear for dinner I've seen all jeans in all sorts of conditions worn on Princess over the years from dressy to sloppy & never seen anyone who was turned away yet from the DR. I really wonder what it would take to get refused entrance?

I agree - saw more people wearing jeans to dinner in Alaska. Of course, who would want to wear jeans on a warm, tropical cruise like the Caribbean?:p

People who like the casual & comfortable feel of a pair of jeans. ;)

The clothing worn in the main dining room for dinner on our Alaska cruise was by far the most casual we have ever seen before or since on a Princess cruise. Saw jeans, tee shirts, those pull on thin athletic pants with the elastic waist, etc. Not for me, but that is what we observed.

I have also worn jeans in the MDR during our Alaska trip. We went in August and the nighttime weather does get quite chilly, so having the option of wearing jeans and a sweater to dinner and then not having to go back to your room to change for the evening activities nice. Also with restrictions on luggage you can leave those pants at home instead.

Jeans, especially the ones you describe, are allowed. You will have shoes too, right? :rolleyes:

Oh, yes, proper shoes!

Thanks, everyone. I felt that Alaska cruises would be more informal, but didn't want to make a faux pas!

Brought this subject up a while ago. It appears that Princess has no dress code for its MDR and anything goes. They state that they do have a code but in reality they will not enforce it.

It's true that they don't enforce the dress suggestions to the letter & but they're not quite that disregarding about it.

Archived