Money Saved, want to treat hubby, he doesn't wanna go

ColeandAbby

I have saved up all the money it would cost to take a 4 night cruise, just me and hubby in January. This would be our 3rd cruise. Alone. I made a comment about it and he seemed fine, but at dinner tonight, he totally shot me down! If we have the money saved, why would he be hesitant to go? I was getting excited, but now I'm confused. Has anybody else's hubby been reluctant to cruise? Any tips to talk to him to maybe get him to change mind?

Maybe, what he really wants is for you to go with a friend. That will give him 4 days to spend worry-free with his secret girlfriend.

Heartless I see no humor in the comment.

I would ask him why. Maybe he might prefer another place. Explain you saved this money for a special time for the two of you.

Heartless I see no humor in the comment.

I would ask him why. Maybe he might prefer another place. Explain you saved this money for a special time for the two of you.

I thought I would give him a few days and then bring it up again. This would be the first cruise minus the kiddos and a great way for us to catch up, relax and enjoy the cruise w/o chasing the kiddos around! Thank you for the reply!

Talk to him...maybe something's happening at work....who knows? He's the one to discuss this with!

Maybe he's ticked that you've been sockin' away money without him knowing about it!

Talk to him!

He knows about the money. All he has to do is check our account under a seperate money market. This is the best time, next year we may have another family member and crusing will be off the table for a longggg time.

Ask him! Tell him you were really looking forward to going, lay our your reasons, and ask him his opinion. Good luck!

Thank you! I know from the past, he wasn't all excited like I was until he stepped foot on the ship and then he would slowly begin to relax!:D

If he decides he doesn't really want to go, maybe you can go with a friend?

My hubby has always gone on all of our cruises and enjoys them....just not quite as much as I love them.

I'm going in Jan. for the first time without him. Getting away from the snow!

Good luck. Just not the same without him :(

But girlfriend time can be fun too!

I'm so sorry. I had/have the same problem. One time he agreed to go, then backed out after I booked! Fortunately, a friend of mine agreed to go with me. It wasn't the same though.

Everyone is different, so I don't know what will work with your husband. I keep talking about it, and pointing out how reasonable the cost is, and how much fun we had on our last cruise, etc. until he finally comes around. It's not as if we can't afford to go on a cruise - it's just that he doesn't feel like it.

Good luck!!

Good you didn't plan to 'surprise' him with a gift. When I read here, from time to time, people going to surprise their parents, DW, DH whoever, I always think is this about 'them' or about their loved one? Not everyone would be thrilled to pieces to be 'gifted' a cruise. Clearly, DH is among them.

Find a vacation you can mutally agree. What's the sense if he isn't going willingly and happily? Neither of you will enjoy.

I don't think I can really give you an intelligent answer. You really have to ask him why.:confused:

The only level that I can relate to this question was that my wife had to drag me on our first cruise. Now you have to drag me off the ship,so other people can get on:D

I can see why you're disappointed, but you said in your title that you wanted to treat your hubby, so there's not much point in trying to persuade him to reluctantly accept something which he obviously isn't over the moon about. Point out that the money was saved for a special vacation just for the two of you, and sit down together and plan to go somewhere and do something that suits the two of you. You've cruised before, you'll probably cruise again, if you keep an open mind you might be able to come up with something different you'd both enjoy.

He knows about the money. All he has to do is check our account under a seperate money market. This is the best time, next year we may have another family member and crusing will be off the table for a longggg time.

Maybe he likes having a cushion of extra money in the bank more than traveling. Adding another family member can be expensive.

No one but him knows the real reason, so you're going to have to wait a bit and ask him again. Men can be real stubborn with sharing their feelings, but if he knows you want an honest answer, be patient and ask again in a few days.

Good luck!

I often travel on land without my husband but we cruise together! I find it strange that wives talk about "paying for the cruise" . When you are married doesn't the money belong to the family?? Anyway, this is a personal issue and if my husband didn't want to go on a cruise I certainly wouldn't try to drag him! I don't know about others but my DH is NOT fun when he doesn't want to do something!!

My husband doesnt care if he never goes on another cruise after one which was disappointing. So now I cruise with my sister who is delighted as she would otherwise be going solo - at great expense - or nor going. We like that the household budget only pays for one cruise, not two, and we can live without each other for ten days.

One of our table mates last year said "So your husband LETS you cruise without him???" We are still laughing about that!

Last year for Christmas my husband gave me $100 US for a future cruise credit!!!

Part of a good marriage is "Let there be spaces in your togetherness". Its worked for us for more than 32 years!

I planned for our first cruise last August for more than a year. It was to celebrate our 20th anniversary and it was without the kids, who are 17(yes, they are twins). I did so much research, I spent thousands of hours on the computer because DH is very impatient when things don't go as planned. Six months before the cruise, after everything had been paid for, he wants to cancel and "just go to Maine for the week". I was crushed and told him he would have to do the canceling because I wouldn't. He gave in, but, constantly mentioned how much everything was costing. After we returned home, whenever anyone asked him about our cruise, the first thing he mentioned was the things that went wrong. I decided then and there that I would never book another cruise with him. Since the kids will be in college next year, my sister and I are going on the NCL Jewel out of NYC. DH will stay home, watch the house and probably go hunting. While I would love to cruise with him again, I'll let him do all the planning and booking.

Archived