Rhapsody of the seas delayed in sydney

livingstone

Hi,

My neice is on that ceuise .she sent me a text msg at 7pm and said they were delayed waiting for bunkering.not a bad place to be delayed from...sydney harbour

Col:)

So is my neice:). I checked the Sydney Ports webiste earlier in the day to find out what time she was leaving and at that stage it said 8pm.

On the Nov 8th cruise the captain made an announcement that we would be a bit late leaving also, due to the refuelling taking longer than planned. As it worked out, we were sailing away not long after 8 I think, and made up the time during our 2 sea days so it didn't affect our itinerary or our time in the first port, but I wonder if refuelling on time is going to be a continuing problem when leaving from this port?

On the Nov 8th cruise the captain made an announcement that we would be a bit late leaving also, due to the refuelling taking longer than planned. As it worked out, we were sailing away not long after 8 I think, and made up the time during our 2 sea days so it didn't affect our itinerary or our time in the first port, but I wonder if refuelling on time is going to be a continuing problem when leaving from this port?

Hi,

When we were on Rhapsody in December 09 I was speaking to one of the officers during during the walk for "wishes at Sea" and he said Sydney OPT was not a good port to get in and out of in the time allocated.he said getting provisions on and off the ship was very time consuming because the area cannot accomodate more than one truck at a time so they can only load from one point.He also said because of being so close to the ferry terminals made bunkering a slow process as well as the traffic on the water in and around the Quay made manourving the ship tricky.During that chat he told us that RCI had permission to dock Radiance class ships.....hence the arrival of Radiance of the Seas next year......very interesting chat

Col:)

:D:D:D I wonder if they shop at Woolies or Coles they can get the 8c discount?

Hahaha Sandi, that goes without saying as they probably use the shop a dockets on the other side for specials too....Can you imagine them taking the ship to Wharf 1 ship repairs to for 10% off the oil and lube job...or maybe 10% of their next set of photo prints ;):D:p

Hahaha Sandi, that goes without saying as they probably use the shop a dockets on the other side for specials too....Can you imagine them taking the ship to Wharf 1 ship repairs to for 10% off the oil and lube job...or maybe 10% of their next set of photo prints ;):D:p

LOL, Jas. You'll soon be able to ask the Captain yourself! ;) Only 68 days to go for you.

A bunker is a defensive military fortification.

Bunker may also refer to:

Bunker (golf), a sand trap on a golf course

Bunker is alternate name (coined word) of barge ships

Fuel on a ship is called bunker fuel

Fuel accessed via a large tank or via the provision of a fuel card is referred to as 'bunkered fuel'

The fuel (usually coal) container on a steam tank locomotive or ship, or a chamber in a building for furnace coal

Búnker refers to a faction of far-right francoists in the period of Spanish democratic transition

Bunker gear, a colloquial term for the protective clothing worn by firefighters

scorce wikipedia

The coal that was needed to power OLYMPIA was stored in coal bunkers. Coal bunkers were large compartments in the ship that were simply storage rooms used strictly for coal. These storage rooms were arrayed on the ship in a way that allowed them to function as additional armor. They were placed along the hull, to protect the more vital inner areas, such as the engine rooms and boiler rooms, in case of attack. The thought was that if the ship took a hit, the projectile or torpedo would explode on impact with the coal in a coal bunker, if it did explode when it hit the hull. The mass of coal would protect the inner portions of the ship, and the coal bunker could simply be sealed off to stop the flooding.

scorce wikipedia

bun·ker (bngkr)

n.

a. A bin or tank especially for fuel storage, as on a ship.

b. Fuel, such as coal or fuel oil, used especially in ships. Often used in the plural.

2. An underground fortification, often with a concrete projection above ground level for observation or gun emplacements.

3. Sports A sand trap serving as an obstacle on a golf course.

tr.v. bun·kered, bun·ker·ing, bun·kers

1. To store or place (fuel) in a bunker.

2. Sports To hit (a golf ball) into a bunker.

scorce dictionary

As Thied does not appear to get my joke or know the meaning of bunker without looking at several dictionaries I post this to illustrate my point

From a site detailing occupations on ships:

The carriers dumped coal into the bunker for three hours before the trimmers arrived.

I think it amazing what they call a bunker

a. A bin or tank especially for fuel storage, as on a ship.

b. Fuel, such as coal or fuel oil, used especially in ships. Often used in the plural.

2. An underground fortification, often with a concrete projection above ground level for observation or gun emplacements.

3. Sports A sand trap serving as an obstacle on a golf course.

tr.v. bun·kered, bun·ker·ing, bun·kers

1. To store or place (fuel) in a bunker.

2. Sports To hit (a golf ball) into a bunker.

I think when tjhe price of crude oil was over 75 USD , there was a plan to charge the fuel surcharge, to passengers, but I think that was scrapped at the end of 2009, Now that would give them (the cruise line) more than 8c a L DISCOUNT Whithout even spending a cent at woolies and with thank to there own customers. Does anyone know if they ever did charge that on any cruise?

Bunker fuel is technically any type of fuel oil used aboard ships. It gets its name from the containers on ships and in ports that it is stored in; in the days of steam they were coal bunkers but now they are bunker fuel tanks.

There is a good article here http://www.brighthub.com/engineering/marine/articles/33665.aspx

Archived