Live from Caribbean Princess 12/5-12

cdamion

The Preamble

I'm just a few hours from boarding. Before I start the live updates, I just wanted to give a little bit of background so you can put my posts in perspective. First, I am a 40yo guy. I travel fairly frequently - mostly land based trips. I have stayed in hotels ranging from a room with plywood walls and a padlock on the door in Central America to Hyatts, etc. With restaurants, I eat at tiny hole-in-the-wall places to expensive restaurants. My expectations change depending on where I am or what a place is trying to be.

I am solo on this trip, but it wasn't originally planned that way. My fiancee had to stay behind to take care of her mother who just spent over 2 weeks in the hospital after suffering some mini-strokes. You may have seen my thread a few weeks ago asking for advice. After lots of talking she encouraged me to go. Her and her mom will go on a cruise on their own as soon as her mother is healthy enough to go.

I have travelled plenty by myself over the years, but never on a cruise. So, I am somewhat apprehensive about going on a cruise alone because they seem so geared towards couples, families, and groups.

Day 0

Today I fly out of Chicago O'Hare to San Juan to board the ship tomorrow. The only problem is Chicago is getting hit with its first snowstorm and many flights are delayed or cancelled. I keep checking online and it says 'on time' for the SJU flight, so I head to the airport prepared for a long delay. After hearing the dismal weather forecasts the day before, I decided that if the flight was cancelled, then I would simply not go. I would not fight to get to San Juan on other flights, I would just take it as a sign and skip the trip.

Once I got to the airport I waited in line so I could cancel my fiancee's ticket. I had hoped against hope that she would join me, so I kept all reservations as they were. After waiting through a very, very slow security line for 45 minutes because TSA had only one x-ray machine operating, I got to the gate just in time for boarding. It seemed we were to be one of the handful of flights that were to leave on time. Once I got to my seat and called Princess to cancel my fiancee's cruise since they would be closed by the time I landed in San Juan. After about 30 minutes of them de-icing the plane that was covered with about 4 inches of snow, we pushed back and took off for warmer weather.

A little while into the flight, I looked at the empty seat next to me (the only one on the plane) and thought about how my fiancee was supposed to be sitting there next to me. I got very sad and began to second guess my decision to go. I distracted myself by doing some work (yes, I brought work along because I thought I would be at the airport for hours). I also wrote out invitations to the ship's officers to join us at the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet. Princess was very helpful with scheduling the meet and greet. If the Princess person I spoke to is reading this, thank you.

We finally arrive in San Juan only about 20 minutes late and I take a taxi to the San Juan Water and Beach Club in Isla Verde. I don't really know what to make of this place. It is supposed to be 3.5 stars, but doesn't quite make it. I'm holding off on judging it until after I absorb it. It is very blue here - as in everything is bathed with blue fluorescent light, even inside the rooms. I had to turn off the light in my room because it was driving me nuts. I felt like I was in a giant bug zapper. It is clean and nice, but loses major points because the shower only has two temperatures - cold and colder. I let it run for over 30 minutes and it would not get warm. Oddly, the sink has very hot water. No worries, I am only here for less than 12 hours. I will just wait until I can take a shower in what Im sure will be an exceedingly spacious shower in my stateroom.

I headed out to eat at an outdoor restaurant/bar recommended by the hotel, which was a hole in the wall place, but had the best Puerto Rican food I've had ever. I was just here for business a few months ago and ate at several different places and didn't really like any of them (I always seek out local places rather than chain restaurants when I travel). The food last night made up for all the misses last time. The waitress was definitely on island time and the process of ordering, eating, and getting drinks took well over 2 hours. If I was at a restaurant at home or in a hurry I would have been upset, but I learned long ago that when you are in the islands you need to adjust to island time.

I have to admit, I was quite sad last night that my fiancee wasn't here with me. After I ate I went and stood on the dark beach, and talked to her on the phone. Afterwards, I stood there at the edge of the sea (well, it ended up being a little past the edge - my shoes and pants are drying in front of the a/c) allowing myself to be sad for what was supposed to be our trip. Then I took a deep breath and told myself to make the best of it, just go get on the ship, and enjoy the week that I am lucky enough to experience. Then the wave came. I've missed you too Caribbean.

Glad you made it.

I know its got to be sad once you got there.

I would feel the same way.

Making the decision is one thing but when you are actually enroute it finally hits you.

Just try and enjoy yourself knowing that soon enough you will be back home.

Bon Voyage!

Glad you made it.

I know its got to be sad once you got there.

I would feel the same way.

Making the decision is one thing but when you are actually enroute it finally hits you.

Just try and enjoy yourself knowing that soon enough you will be back home.

Bon Voyage!

I will be more than fine. I am quite excited today. I allowed myself last night for being sad. I am actually getting ready to head to the port in about 10 minutes. Now it is time for fun and relaxation. My favorite part of today (besides getting on the ship) is going to be turning off my cell phones for 7 straight days. That has not happened for a really really long time.

By the way photography is my hobby, so once I get back, look for lots of pics.

Stay tuned for more...

Glad you made it. Really looking forward to your live posts. You should be almost on the ship by now. I hope you love your cruise. Remember all the game shows are in Club Fusion at night and watch in your Patters for all other activities during the day.

Stay tuned for more...

I love pictures!...

I was sorry to hear that you were unable to share this vacation with your fiance. Hoping her Mom does well.

And, hoping that you enjoy your cruise, solo..

Glad you made it - we're from Chicago and share your worry about snow days at O'Hare. We just got off the Thanksgiving cruise on the CB and had a wonderful time. We thought the food was excellent, got upgraded from a BB to an AC mini suite, shows were very mediocre at best but we enjoyed MUTS. We were on your itinerary and LOVED it - although we didn't see much sunshine until Aruba - hopefully the front has moved on and you have sunny skies.

Looking forward to your updates!

Thanks so much for this thread. Sorry your fiance couldn't make it and I hope your next cruise works out for the two of you. Could you tell me more about the San Juan Beach Club? We will be going on the Caribbean Princess in Jan and we are currently looking for a decent place to stay the night before the cruise.

We just got off the Thanksgiving cruise on the CB and had a wonderful time.

I'm so sorry to bother you, but can you explain to me why you, and others, refer to the Caribbean Princess as the CB??? I haven't been able to figure it out on my own.

I'm so sorry to bother you, but can you explain to me why you, and others, refer to the Caribbean Princess as the CB??? I haven't been able to figure it out on my own.

That is the 2 letter code Princess refers to it as. CP is for Sea Princess (and came before the Caribbean Princess was built).

So glad you made it cdamion. We're all right there with you. ;)

Don't spend too long in your spacious red hot shower will you?

Look forward to your next report and kind regards to your fiance. :)

I 2nd that. Looking forward to your trip report on Monday morning, the very beginning of my work week :(

I will be more than fine. I am quite excited today. I allowed myself last night for being sad. I am actually getting ready to head to the port in about 10 minutes. Now it is time for fun and relaxation. My favorite part of today (besides getting on the ship) is going to be turning off my cell phones for 7 straight days. That has not happened for a really really long time.

Stay tuned for more...

Thank you CDAMION for writing this day by day account. My wife and I are planning to do a back to back next July and although we have been on the Caribbean Princess, we are curious as to how she is.

I do want to give you a compliment for your writing. You write a good and easy to read review and I for one really appreciate it.

Thanks and keep writing.

Bob

Archived