Inaugural review

This will be short and sweet. The ship was a marvel. The service was very good. Everywhere we went on board the areas were immaculate. We ate in CHOPS and GIOVANNI'S TABLE both were excellent. The shows...Blue Planet and Oceanaria were amazing. Terrific production of CHICAGO but it just doesn't have that WOW factor ( just my opinion) that other Broadway shows like perhaps Grease might have with its' big production numbers and colorful costumes. But still extremely entertaining. Loved the whole experience. Would tell anyone....definitely arrange to cruise on The ALLURE!!

short and sweet. i agree. the only problem was leaving the ship this am was the immigration hold in the terminal for about 20 mins. we waited on the ship till they gave the go-ahead. they had 2000 repeat passengers on the trip and many inaugural presents were delivered to the cabins by the stewards. for anyone unable to pre book events i saw all the people on standby get in to the shows,

I read on another thread that this weekend there were issues with not having enough custom/immigration officials on Saturday. Someone complained on a thread that they only had two for U.S passengers for the Oasis debarkation. I know that this is totally out of the cruise line hands but I wonder why all of a sudden there was a shortage? This can make debarkation a nightmare.

That number of C&A past guests is one reason that I chose not to go on an inaugural sailing. The Concierge lounge had to be a nightmare.

I read on another thread that this weekend there were issues with not having enough custom/immigration officials on Saturday. Someone complained on a thread that they only had two for U.S passengers for the Oasis debarkation. I know that this is totally out of the cruise line hands but I wonder why all of a sudden there was a shortage? This can make debarkation a nightmare.

That number of C&A past guests is one reason that I chose not to go on an inaugural sailing. The Concierge lounge had to be a nightmare.

Just today there are over 22,100 passengers disembarking and embarking on eight ships in Port Everglades.

RUBY PRINCESS

MSC POESIA

ALLURE OF THE SEAS

COSTA ATLANTICA

CARNIVAL MIRACLE

CELEBRITY SOLSTICE

NIEUW AMSTERDAM

CORAL PRINCESS

I would imagine the CBP (US Customs & Border Protection) is a bit overwhelmed. This being said I'm not making excuses for them. The ship schedule has been published for a long time, and they know how many CBP Agents it takes to process various ships in a reasonable timeframe. I would also think the port fees that these cruise lines pay (actually the cruise line passengers) go to support the CBP, with the expectation that the disembarking passengers are processed as efficiently as possible.

It's hard for me to believe that there were only two CBP agents processing OASIS OF THE SEAS. Perhaps this is what passengers saw at any given moment, but the other CPB agents could have been out of sight dealing with other issues or there may have been other processing areas out of view to the passenger. Say it takes an average of 30 seconds per passenger for the CBP screening, and OASIS carries 5400 passengers. That would mean one CBP agent could process 2 passengers a minute, or 120 passengers an hour. It would take two CPB agents 22.5 hours to clear OASIS based on the 30 seconds per passenger average. Obviously that is not the case. I would say there are more like 15 CBP agents for OASIS, with the goal of clearing all passengers in about three hours. At an average of 30 seconds per passenger this could be accomplished.

It's quite possible an excessive amount of CBP agents called out sick, or more were on vacation than usual, and this contributed to the slower processing of the ship?

Ernie

in addition to todays immigration delays,which is a Sunday the same thing occured on Sat Nov20 in ft lauderdale when i disembarked from the crown princess. they said it was because all the agents were assigned to the oasis. seems like the truth is that simply put there are not sufficient agents to handle the passengers.

Ernie, according to the poster, they had more non US officials than US. He stated that debarkation took over an hour as it was really backed up. I am hoping that this was a rare situation as both times on the Oasis, there was plenty of officials and it was quick and painless.

Yes I don't think it was the norm. There could have been a variety of reasons for the back-up that the passengers are not privy to.

In general I think OASIS and ALLURE carry a high percentage of non-US passengers. These ships really appeal to the International market. On my OASIS cruise, we heard a lot of German, French, Portuguese, Spanish, and Italian. I think something like 46% of the passengers were non-US citizens. It gave the ship a very International feel which was great. My understanding from comments by Royal Caribbean executives, is that this large non-US mix of passengers is quite typical for these ships and that their International sourcing of passengers is going very well. With this in mind, I would think the CBP is prepared, but keep in mind the CBP is a government agency. Nuff said! ;)

In any case, you and I both know that Royal Caribbean has done EVERYTHING in their power to expedite embarkation and disembarkation. Some things are just out of their control, and honestly disembarkation can take just as long if not longer on ships 1/2 the size of OASIS and ALLURE.

Ernie

Yes, disembarkation was a problem. We were ready to leave the ship at 8:15 but they were not letting anybody off the ship until close to 9:00. So we stood in a very long line on the Promenade deck waiting to get off. When we finally were allowed off, we soon arrived at the lines for US citizens and Non-US citizens. We were all told by customs authorities to blend together on the same lines...this helped move the lines at a faster pace. My husband was wondering if this long wait normally happens when you disembark these huge ships in Fort Lauderdale...but I had not heard of this happening on a regular basis before.

This will be short and sweet. The ship was a marvel. The service was very good. Everywhere we went on board the areas were immaculate. We ate in CHOPS and GIOVANNI'S TABLE both were excellent. The shows...Blue Planet and Oceanaria were amazing. Terrific production of CHICAGO but it just doesn't have that WOW factor ( just my opinion) that other Broadway shows like perhaps Grease might have with its' big production numbers and colorful costumes. But still extremely entertaining. Loved the whole experience. Would tell anyone....definitely arrange to cruise on The ALLURE!!

I haven't seen a question addressed anywhere on any of the "outings' on the Allure as of yet. I was wondering about the temperature inside the ship. On the Oasis last summer, the temperature inside the ship could range from just "comfortable" to borderline almost uncomforably warm. Just wondering how it is on the Allure? Some we have been on are downright cold, so I'm fine with just comfortable. Don't really want to go to uncomfortably warm. :cool:

I haven't seen a question addressed anywhere on any of the "outings' on the Allure as of yet. I was wondering about the temperature inside the ship. On the Oasis last summer, the temperature inside the ship could range from just "comfortable" to borderline almost uncomforably warm. Just wondering how it is on the Allure? Some we have been on are downright cold, so I'm fine with just comfortable. Don't really want to go to uncomfortably warm. :cool:

Never experienced uncomfortably warm. However, sometimes it was on the cool side in some venues so I brought a wrap with me wherever I went.

Yes, disembarkation was a problem. We were ready to leave the ship at 8:15 but they were not letting anybody off the ship until close to 9:00. So we stood in a very long line on the Promenade deck waiting to get off. When we finally were allowed off, we soon arrived at the lines for US citizens and Non-US citizens. We were all told by customs authorities to blend together on the same lines...this helped move the lines at a faster pace. My husband was wondering if this long wait normally happens when you disembark these huge ships in Fort Lauderdale...but I had not heard of this happening on a regular basis before.

Up until the cruised on the Oasis out of FLL, my three previous cruises out of FLL were the worst ever for debarkation. Once was on Carnival and twice on RCI. The Oasis restored my faith in the port. Hopefully this was just unusual situation. I guess we shall see over the next few weeks. Did you do the express debarkation(carry your own luggage off) or did you do the normal debarkation?

Up until the cruised on the Oasis out of FLL, my three previous cruises out of FLL were the worst ever for debarkation. Once was on Carnival and twice on RCI. The Oasis restored my faith in the port. Hopefully this was just unusual situation. I guess we shall see over the next few weeks. Did you do the express debarkation(carry your own luggage off) or did you do the normal debarkation?

We did normal debarkation and our friends who were with us wheeled their own luggage ...either way normally works perfectly fine...but today was definitely a glitch in the process. There were tens of hundreds of people standing on lines in the Royal Promenade for way too long.

Yes I don't think it was the norm. There could have been a variety of reasons for the back-up that the passengers are not privy to.

In general I think OASIS and ALLURE carry a high percentage of non-US passengers. These ships really appeal to the International market. On my OASIS cruise, we heard a lot of German, French, Portuguese, Spanish, and Italian. I think something like 46% of the passengers were non-US citizens. It gave the ship a very International feel which was great. My understanding from comments by Royal Caribbean executives, is that this large non-US mix of passengers is quite typical for these ships and that their International sourcing of passengers is going very well. With this in mind, I would think the CBP is prepared, but keep in mind the CBP is a government agency. Nuff said! ;)

In any case, you and I both know that Royal Caribbean has done EVERYTHING in their power to expedite embarkation and disembarkation. Some things are just out of their control, and honestly disembarkation can take just as long if not longer on ships 1/2 the size of OASIS and ALLURE.

Ernie

My experience of two weeks on the Oasis supports your facts that a large amount of non-US passengers want to sail these ships. The only nationality you left out which was substantial on my cruises were Asians.

The Oasis restored my faith in the port.

Well I don't think you can give credit to the port, it's really Royal Caribbean that can be credited with restoring your faith. Besides terminal 18 (which Royal Caribbean is responsible for), the remaining terminals at Port Everglades are just as you remember them. Fairly outdated, converted cargo sheds that in many cases are too small for the amount of passengers they process.

CELEBRITY SOLSTICE had been enjoying terminal 18, until ALLURE has taken over for Sunday departures. She has now been assigned to terminal 25 and there are problems. These mega-ships are just too big for the terminals, and throw in 8 ships on a single day and there is chaos. Terminal 18 is specially built and designed to handle OASIS and ALLURE, and it shows. I personally have not had significant problems at Port Everglades, but I know many people have.

The Port of Miami has a much better infrastructure. Pretty much all the terminals are new, or newly refurbished, and the port traffic is nicely divided between passenger and cargo. This means no long back-ups waiting to get into the port as trucks have their own check-point, and passenger traffic does not have to go through the check-point. It will get even better when the port tunnel is completed, which is currently under construction. It will detour all trucks in and out of the port away from downtown, and through a tunnel underneath Government Cut that will connect it directly with MacArthur Causeway and I-95. It will be a huge improvement for port traffic and traffic in and around downtown Miami.

Ernie

You cruised in June when the outside temperature was consistently extremely hot. Probably putting a stress on the ship's Air Conditioning system. I traveled in September when the temperature was warm but cooler and we had no discomfort with inside temperatures anywhere.

Point being asking this of cruisers sailing in December may not have any bearing on what the inside temperatures will be on the hot summer months sailings.

You can judge for yourself in two weeks. Enjoy your cruise and be ready to bundle up.

We had beautiful, cool weather the entire trip on Allure, so that contributes markedly to the comfort of the Board Walk area and the Central Park area. As for indoor venues such as the Amber Theater, Dazzles, the Prominade and the main dining room, for example, I found those places very cool. I had to wear the warmest clothes I had packed, but I am Floridian, so my idea of "warm" clothes might be comical to hardier folks from the north.

Exactly a year ago on Oasis, I thought it was one of the hottest cruises I had taken. The weather had to be near record breaking for that time of year. As I recall Labadee was nearing 100 degrees that day. (Of course, RCI can't be blamed for the temperature in Labadee.)

I think weather has a lot to do with the comfort levels of outdoor venues on these ships, but I was never hot or too warm in the indoor venues on either Oasis or Allure.

Just off the Allure today, and no problems at all with speedy disembarcation. Wonderful 4 night trip on a beautiful brand new ship in the same configuration as the Oasis with a few new venues and rearrangements and art work. Impressive architecture and detail work is noticeable everywhere. Beautifully decorated.

We were on the port side and left the drapes open all the time on our E-class balcony cabin. Late in the day hot sunshine came into the room in the afternoon and the A/c couldn't keep the cabin cool. Problem solved by drawing the drapes to keep out the hot hot sun (which is one reason for the cruise anyway) from overheating the room. The shows were all good, and we ate every meal in the DR with very good food every time.

The Bathroom had new amenities, at least for an E cabin, in the form of an extra bottle of shampoo, conditioner, bathing gel (soap, I think), and lotion. I tried the shampoo-conditioner in the plastic-enclosed shower with the 3 inch curb with success. No water got onto the floor and I got clean with manageable hair.

And get this, there are 3 electrical outlets together now on the top of the desk! I did not see any double European outlets in our cabin but I think they may be made available within the same unit as there were two holes of European size and width filled with small screws, which I suspect could easily be made available for two pronged plugs.

Overall, a great ship with very comfortable beds and a great cruise blessed with beautiful weather .

Labadee was not affected by the earthquake, but has changed a lot since I was last there 3 years ago. It is less rustic and more commercial with fewer beaches. All food came from the ship and nobody I heard of got sick on the ship or shore. I did the new "roller coaster" twice and it was fun. It is more like a bobsled run with sharp fast turns but no sickening drop offs.

I've read a lot about Ken Rush, but I thought he was just fine as the CD and was hilarious at the love and marriage game and the 70,s night.

They delayed departure for 45 minutes for late-arriving guests, most likely cruise-air Pax held up by a winter storm in the midwest.

We were on the Oasis last February and Allure this week. I can't say which is better, as we loved them both. All the people I spoke with on the ship, including the crew were happy (and proud) to be on the ship. Very gala. Jim

Never experienced uncomfortably warm. However, sometimes it was on the cool side in some venues so I brought a wrap with me wherever I went.

You cruised in June when the outside temperature was consistently extremely hot. Probably putting a stress on the ship's Air Conditioning system. I traveled in September when the temperature was warm but cooler and we had no discomfort with inside temperatures anywhere.

Point being asking this of cruisers sailing in December may not have any bearing on what the inside temperatures will be on the hot summer months sailings.

You can judge for yourself in two weeks. Enjoy your cruise and be ready to bundle up.

We had beautiful, cool weather the entire trip on Allure, so that contributes markedly to the comfort of the Board Walk area and the Central Park area. As for indoor venues such as the Amber Theater, Dazzles, the Prominade and the main dining room, for example, I found those places very cool. I had to wear the warmest clothes I had packed, but I am Floridian, so my idea of "warm" clothes might be comical to hardier folks from the north.

Exactly a year ago on Oasis, I thought it was one of the hottest cruises I had taken. The weather had to be near record breaking for that time of year. As I recall Labadee was nearing 100 degrees that day. (Of course, RCI can't be blamed for the temperature in Labadee.)

I think weather has a lot to do with the comfort levels of outdoor venues on these ships, but I was never hot or too warm in the indoor venues on either Oasis or Allure.

Thank you so much to everyone for your responses. I agree that the outside temps were probably a factor to the inside temps when we cruised on the Oasis. I live where it is consistently humid (along the border of TX & Mexico, close to the coast), so the Caribbean isn't too different. Just in case, I will throw in a wrap. Better to have it and not need it rather than wishing I had brought something along. Thanks again everyone! :)

It seemed a bit warm when we were docked, but while at sea our stateroom ans all venues were comfortable.

We were in group 40 for disembarkation, and it DID go in order, not like Ken Rush said in the video, so we were in the middle of the pack. Luggage finding was a breeze, and the customs wait was a total of 10 minutes, not bad, we thought.

Embarkation was an absolute dream. We arrived at 11:45, and waltzed on board. The only way it could have faster would be if we were on skates.

There was an unexpected "immigration hold" just at the time when the Windjammer let out which compounded the delay. Up until then, there were no delays with disembarkation. The delay was about 20 minutes of NOBODY leaving the ship. This led to the lines and wait for the next 1 hour. With 8 ships in port at the same time, immigration agents were spread thin as well.

And get this, there are 3 electrical outlets together now on the top of the desk! I did not see any double European outlets in our cabin but I think they may be made available within the same unit as there were two holes of European size and width filled with small screws, which I suspect could easily be made available for two pronged plugs.

No, definitely not! I first thought it´s a Europen plug in (until I saw the screws). But those two holes are too far away from each other for a European plug in. It´s just screws. I had to use the one underneath the vanity desk.

I doubt that on this Labadee Extravaganza there were lots of non US passengers. Let´s say it´s way to expensive to go over from Europe just for a 4 night cruise (unless you´re doing a B2B). On a German board a German TV station was searching for German passengers on this cruise and they didn´t find any.

steamboats

Many of the foreigners I observed on the Four-Night Lab. Extrav. were Asian. I saw many prosperpous looking Filipinos. I notice them because I lived in Manila for years. There also were many Asians and people who appeared to be from India or Pakistan. I also hear people speaking Portuguese. That makes me happy to hear because I lived in Brazil for several years and my youngest son was born in Lisbon, Portugal. I also hear folks speaking languages that sounded Eastern European, but I am no expert in that arena.

Archived