Ft Lauderdale embarkation

ILoveMyDogs

We have cruised with Regent four times. We were very impressed with their embarkation process It was so much easier and faster than on any other lines that we had been on . We did have one exception and that was boarding the Voyager in 2009 for a Panama Canal cruise. The process at the port was painfully slow and disorganized The problem appeared to be with the Port Everglade check-in team and not Regent . Does anyone know if there has been any improvement in the process? We have an upcoming cruise out of Fort Lauderdale in January on the Mariner. Thanks

We have cruised with Regent four times. We were very impressed with their embarkation process It was so much easier and faster than on any other lines that we had been on . We did have one exception and that was boarding the Voyager in 2009 for a Panama Canal cruise. The process at the port was painfully slow and disorganized The problem appeared to be with the Port Everglade check-in team and not Regent . Does anyone know if there has been any improvement in the process? We have an upcoming cruise out of Fort Lauderdale in January on the Mariner. Thanks

I am not sure where the problem lies

It took us over an hour to board the Voyager on Nov 23 in FLL.

On Dec 2nd we were seated in the dining room of the Spirit in 15 minutes having lunch (also in FLL).

Only time we have embarded at Ft L. it was very smooth. Navigator trans-Atlantic in 2009. We arrived at about 11.30am and were seated and asked to wait. I would guess there were arounf 75-100 people there by noon. Promptly at noon we were asked to come in row order (ie in order of our arrival) to the counter where we checked in and got our suite cards. We then boarded and by 12.20 we were having lunch. I have read one post about a painfully slow embarkation though... and am hoping that on 7th Jan it will be as it was in 2009!

Thanks, yes. I started ironing shirts yesterday (the only time I ever iron!) And got the suitcases out to air out. Today I finish ironing and start printing out paper that I need, and putting together stuff to bring. It's tough because I don't have a whole room any more to devote to this activity. And I can't lie things around on the floor or else they will be covered with white and orange cat hair.

We have snow on the ground this morning, in fact it's snowing right now. So am looking forward to some warmth and sun!

I am going to try to persuade "the boys" (David and Jim) to wait until about 1 p.m. for embarkation, to avoid sitting in the waiting room. But since it's Jim's first time on Voyager, this will be tough.

had about 30 min.or so wait,,,,staff said much busier earlier,,,so not too bad....also,,about the warmth,,,,brrr...I m near Orlando and weather in FL is cold,,,,hi 50s and mid 30s...so dress accordingly,,,sure will be warmer ,,,but this is all week....this is rare,,,what global warming????

Good luck in "my room" hahaha....ps...about those infamous granola bars,,,,hubby didnt get back till 3 30 on ziplining,,,,and on Santo Tomas tour and boat ride,,,,many asked me about them,,since the "snacks" offered were questionable,,,and didnt want to chance it....and I ONLY gained 3 # in 7 days,,,,so food TOO good and plentiful.....:D

Temperatures in the 50's F -- that is about 15C I think? Sounds like heaven to me, stuck in the snow here in Switzerland! And we have had 3 weeks of lousy weather with temperatures below 0C which is under 32F... can't wait to sit in the queue for embarkation at Port Everglades in January!!

Thanks, yes. I started ironing shirts yesterday (the only time I ever iron!) And got the suitcases out to air out. Today I finish ironing and start printing out paper that I need, and putting together stuff to bring. It's tough because I don't have a whole room any more to devote to this activity. And I can't lie things around on the floor or else they will be covered with white and orange cat hair.

We have snow on the ground this morning, in fact it's snowing right now. So am looking forward to some warmth and sun!

I am going to try to persuade "the boys" (David and Jim) to wait until about 1 p.m. for embarkation, to avoid sitting in the waiting room. But since it's Jim's first time on Voyager, this will be tough.

You made me laugh when you mentioned ironing. If it were not for cruises my iron could rust just sitting there:-) We have the same issue with kitty fur. As I recall, you were going to try to do this cruise with one carry-on. . . . is that still the plan?

You made me laugh when you mentioned ironing. If it were not for cruises my iron could rust just sitting there:-) We have the same issue with kitty fur. As I recall, you were going to try to do this cruise with one carry-on. . . . is that still the plan?

No, we've given up on the carry-on. We're going to check one bag, the rolling garment bag. It's just so easy to pack and unpack. I think I saw that my evening attire would get pretty boring. Plus we're staying in Florida for a while afterwards.

I opened the big bag on the bed this morning to air it out, and my cat immediately jumped into it. The bedroom door is now closed, much to his chagrin.

On the 11/23 cruise, it didn't do any good to arrive before the 2:00 embarkation time quoted by Regent, as they put everyone in a holding area until they were ready to start the process. By that time, the holding area was packed; however, they proceded rather smoothly and orderly.

The food served on two of my excursions to the Mayan ruins wasn't too bad. I had planned to turn down any such local food and beverages for fear of picking up an unwanted bug, but hunger prevailed. In fact, the fruit salad offered at one stop was among the best I can recall ever having.

In March, we had a minimal wait boarding the Navigator. Noon was given as embarkation time and I think we got there about 11:45. We had time to sit down and fill out a brief health form and within about ten minutes we were called up, processed and were sipping our first glass of wine by 12:20 while our teenager took a quick exploratory lope around the ship. Disembarkation was also very straightforward. We were called by luggage tag colour and were through in about ten minutes.

Wendy, when my bags come out my two cats sit on them and won't leave. They know the signs. They also leave fur all over everything.

Ditto here. Every cat I have ever had has done the same. They are experts in seeing the signs of impending travel. Missy Cat sat on my husband's black pants in his open suitcase yesterday. And he was just going on business. I am still here, and actually that is her favorite time as she gets to sleep in our bed if he is away.

On the 11/23 cruise, it didn't do any good to arrive before the 2:00 embarkation time quoted by Regent, as they put everyone in a holding area until they were ready to start the process. By that time, the holding area was packed; however, they proceded rather smoothly and orderly.

The food served on two of my excursions to the Mayan ruins wasn't too bad. I had planned to turn down any such local food and beverages for fear of picking up an unwanted bug, but hunger prevailed. In fact, the fruit salad offered at one stop was among the best I can recall ever having.

We're VERY careful not to eat in many remote areas. We were in Copan several years ago and gave our box lunches from the ship to very appreciative youngsters. An "Ugly American" gave the kids ONE M&M each! She would've done herself a favor by giving all of them away - she clearly didn't need any more calories.

Boarding in FLL has been a complete pain in the a** for us, both on our 11/23/10 Voyager cruise and on a prior Silversea cruise. Some guests seem to get through quickly, but we've had to wait 1 to 1.5 hours. I guess it depends on the time you arrive, how many are in the "holding cell" with you, and what the pace is of the FLL authorities at your time of arrival.

We did the Bermuda April/May 2010, and same story, got there at 11:45, about 40 folks in chairs ahead of us, promptly at noon they started processing, 12:15 on the pool deck with a diet coke. Ship was completely sold out. On return, we were staying in town for three days, so purposely waited for the "please get off the boat" message and we were out of customs and in a cab by 9:15. There were less then ten unclaimed bags when we walked out. Two other Navigator FLL and the same story. I never worry about booking the 10:50 Jet Blue to Washington Dulles due to fast disembarkation. Have also done Celebrity there seven times and the port never seems to be a problem. I understand any one trip can be bad, but FLL is our favorite. Our two times out of Baltimore were not good coming or going, just because they do not have the full time staff that FLL and Miami have. Miami is very good too, just a further ride to the airport.

Archived