Tux or not to tux...

OK...no "dress code" rant here, just need some advice. I'm one of those dying purists who always enjoyed dressing for dinner of formal nights. My last cruise on Cunard's Queen Victoria was superb because, among other things, everyone on board dressed for dinner and I got a lot of use out of my tuxedo. That said, I do want to take yet another Caribbean cruise but am thinking I might as well just leave my tuxedo at home since the dress codes seem to be rarely enforced and people wear just about whatever they want anywhere, at any time, on the ship. I supposed I can face the fact that times have change (not that I like it mind you) and go with the oh-so-casual flow. How DO people dress in the dining room this year? Are tuxedos a thing of the past? I do not want to be the only person at the table in a tuxedo - with perhaps my neighbor in jeans and a shirt - as I then feel horribly overdressed (even if I was dressed properly). So, what to do? Bite the bullet...nix the tux...just take a jacket and a tie and be done with it? What can I expect on RCL this year...need to know before I book (or perhaps not book) my next cruise. Thanks in advance...

I rent a tux from RCCL. It is in the closet when I get there and they pick up the day after the last formal night. I think it is great that I don't have to buy it, clean it, or carry it. As far as what others are doing I don't let that bother me.

Shak

My husband and I travel with another couple, both men wear a tux to both formal nights. We have done many cruises on RCI and never once have they felt out of place in a tux. Some cruises have more men wearing them than others, there is no way to know. We love to dress up and never wear casual clothes to dinner no matter what the dress is for the evening. So I say if you like to dress up take the tux...you wont be sorry. There are always other men dressed in a tux....:)

Personally I like a tux:)

but one nite on a week or 2 nites on two weeks is a pain

espcially if you are flying.

But what ever your comfort level is! DO IT!

I have seen everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

My husband and I travel with another couple, both men wear a tux to both formal nights. We have done many cruises on RCI and never once have they felt out of place in a tux. Some cruises have more men wearing them than others, there is no way to know. We love to dress up and never wear casual clothes to dinner no matter what the dress is for the evening. So I say if you like to dress up take the tux...you wont be sorry. There are always other men dressed in a tux....:)

I totally agree. There are usually between 4 and 12 of us cruising and the gentlemen all wear tuxedos on formal nights. I also never wear casual clothes to dinner, that is what makes me happy.

Tux it. Look superb. Feel superb. Agree with above cruiser who rents, and the cruiseline has it hanging in our closet upon arrival. What could be easier?

I have done scientific studies and have found that:

-the formal evening dinners even taste better while wearing a tux;

-if you make up a nametag, e.g. 'Executive Engineer', or 'Chief Services Officer' or something similar with the cruiseline logo, the dining staff will treat you real nice;

-note: don't ask to sit at the Captain's table while wearing the nametag, or you risk getting caught and thrown overboard;

-wearing the tux in the daytime while strolling around the deck will get you lots of tips, free drinks and your photo with the regular tourists;

-wearing the tux during port excursions will get you free taxis;

-wearing the tux in the pool will get you arrested;

-note: tux may shrink in the hottub;

My husband owns two! He has a black jacket as well as a white one. OMG is he sexy in his tux. :p

Both of my sons (15 and 19) love wearing their tuxes for formal night. It's a huge hit with this family as it's something at home here we would rarely ever have a chance to do.

I'd say go for the tux, enjoy your evening..life is too short! :D

I'm enjoying all of these responses - and am glad the advice runs to "take the tux" which is just fine with me! I expected more "just wear jeans and flip-flops and you'll be fine" so this has been refreshing. So, I'll take my tuxedo on my next cruise and dress the way I always do! I was afraid everyone was dressing down these days...I, of course, love to dress for dinner and I agree with the one poster who said he thinks the food even tastes better when one is in a tux! So thanks everyone...merci!

I'm enjoying all of these responses - and am glad the advice runs to "take the tux" which is just fine with me! I expected more "just wear jeans and flip-flops and you'll be fine" so this has been refreshing. So, I'll take my tuxedo on my next cruise and dress the way I always do! I was afraid everyone was dressing down these days...I, of course, love to dress for dinner and I agree with the one poster who said he thinks the food even tastes better when one is in a tux! So thanks everyone...merci!

Do come back and post a photo of you in your tux, please.

See picture up in the corner,

that is me, on Voyager this past April.

I rented from RCCL, was great.

I was worried about me taking my own measurements.

But it fit so good, felt good, and boy I looked good !!!

I got the black/ white tux, so could change it up the second night.

:rolleyes:

My husband owns two! He has a black jacket as well as a white one. OMG is he sexy in his tux. :p

Both of my sons (15 and 19) love wearing their tuxes for formal night. It's a huge hit with this family as it's something at home here we would rarely ever have a chance to do.

I'd say go for the tux, enjoy your evening..life is too short! :D

This California girl agrees, a man in a TUX looks great. I have 3 sons, 3 years ago we purchased tuxes for each one at that time I wanted to have a formal shot with all my men wearing tuxes, it was easier to get them on a cruise than in a photography studio....They be taking their tuxes on 2 upcoming cruises, a 4 day and 7 day, I can't wait to see my men dressed up.

Another vote for the tux. One of my favorite things about cruising is that my husband wears his tux!

We have never been on a cruise where most people were not dressed appropriately for dinner. I'm sure there were a few but I am so focused on how wonderful people look that I don't even notice.

OK...no "dress code" rant here, just need some advice. I'm one of those dying purists who always enjoyed dressing for dinner of formal nights. My last cruise on Cunard's Queen Victoria was superb because, among other things, everyone on board dressed for dinner and I got a lot of use out of my tuxedo. That said, I do want to take yet another Caribbean cruise but am thinking I might as well just leave my tuxedo at home since the dress codes seem to be rarely enforced and people wear just about whatever they want anywhere, at any time, on the ship. I supposed I can face the fact that times have change (not that I like it mind you) and go with the oh-so-casual flow. How DO people dress in the dining room this year? Are tuxedos a thing of the past? I do not want to be the only person at the table in a tuxedo - with perhaps my neighbor in jeans and a shirt - as I then feel horribly overdressed (even if I was dressed properly). So, what to do? Bite the bullet...nix the tux...just take a jacket and a tie and be done with it? What can I expect on RCL this year...need to know before I book (or perhaps not book) my next cruise. Thanks in advance...

I find it ironic that people that are following the guidelines feel out of place or overdressed:(. I intend to wear a tux as long as RCI offers the tux rental on the AOS when we go in far too many days to count.

May I suggest filling both your Ying and your Yang. Dress with the Tux top attire and match that with a pair of plaid shorts and flip flops. Best of both worlds.;):D

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there:).

Oh yeah wear the tux! My girls, 18,20,23 all love the guys in tuxes. My DH is so awesome looking that it adds to the fun of the trip. There are a lot of tuxes and we love it. The girls pull out all the stops also and have glittery gowns on which is a lot of the cruise for them. it's fun to play dress up.

Archived