Is Mexico too dangerous to get off the boat?

NUEBIE CRUISER

We are booked on HAL to Mexico (Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas) on 01/08/11. I've read the State Department warnings about Mexico and I must say that they are alarming. My husband says we aren't getting off the ship in Mexico. I feel that if we book excursions from the cruise line that they wouldn't put you in harm's way. Does anyone have anymore info?

It's definitely safe to get off the ship, and enjoy Mexico. Thousands do every day. Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo san Lucas are not the high crime/drug filled areas of Mexico that are always in the news. They are major tourist destinations, with lots of fun and interesting things to do and see. You don't HAVE to stick to ship's tours to be safe. If you go with a reputable independent company, you will be fine, and as safe as on a ship's tour. Research each of the Ports you are visiting on these boards. There is a wealth of info about tour companies. Pick one that is popular and gets good reviews, and you will be fine. If you decide to just go off on your own, just stay away from seedy, less touristy places.

FYI, on our visit to Mexico, we did Zip-line with Los Veranos, then walked around the old part of the city, visited the cathedral, walked the Malecon, then cabbed it back to the ship. In Mazatlan, we did a Stone Island tour that included a harbor cruise, free lunch, beach time, and two free beach activities. In Cabo we took a water taxi to Lover's Beach, got picked back up later by same water taxi, then walked downtown Cabo, with a stop at CaboWabo.

GO! ENJOY!

DH and I did the Mexican Riviera last spring. He had the same opinions as your DH. I told him we will only book ship excursions and no wandering around alone like we usually do. I didn't want to travel all the way there and not see any of those ports. It's just a bit intimidating that there are armed guards at every pier. But at the same time I'm glad they were there. It turned out to be one of my favorite cruises! (It was Radiance of the Seas RCCL) Just book ship excursions or do your homework here because it does seem like there are very reputable tour guides that many people have used. Treat these ports like you would any new city you would visit. Use common sense (like no walking down dark alleys alone at night!) and you'll be fine.. Enjoy!

We are booked on HAL to Mexico (Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas) on 01/08/11. I've read the State Department warnings about Mexico and I must say that they are alarming. My husband says we aren't getting off the ship in Mexico. I feel that if we book excursions from the cruise line that they wouldn't put you in harm's way. Does anyone have anymore info?

Please read this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1262994 so we don't have to beat this dead horse again!

Just returned from our annual stay in Vallarta and the only people who hide on the ship are fools!!!

No one really has the "additional information" you're asking for. We've all got opinions :) but that isn't "information", y'know? We are going to Mexico on HAL in February (a 10 day cruise), and are doing Mazatlan on our own, and Puerto Vallarta on our own. Also Guaymas on our own. As Laurie S. said, don't be stupid. Be aware, don't flash cash or jewelry, don't go down dark alleyways, don't drink excessively on shore. Don't go looking to score drugs. Don't stare at people.

A previous poster mentioned the "armed guards" -- they were there the last time we went in 2008, too. I think they are Mexican army troops. In Topolobampo (you are not going there), where we docked was a working port, and had fencing and LOTS of armed men. It was not an easy re-entry back there, and everyone's ID was scrutinized. I'd rather go through that than feel that no one was paying attention.

If this is your first trip to Mexico, IMHO, you're probably better off sticking with shore excursions through HAL. You'll most likely feel more relaxed, and able to enjoy them, again IMHO.

The vast majority of violent incidents have occurred in or near the border towns, NOT anywhere near the ports you will visit.

The entire COUNTRY of Mexico is not dangerous just like the entire county of the US is not. Of course there are cities that are having problems but the cruise ports are not those cities. Most of the problems are in the border towns- the nearest border to Cabo for example is over 1000 miles away. Would you stay away from Denver because there is crime in New Orleans?

Please don't paint the entire country of Mexico with the same brush as the problem areas. Millions of tourists visit Mexico on land vacations every year- that hasn't stopped. I was in Cabo for 2 weeks just last month. Chances are that there is more crime in your own city than there is in your cruise ports. Check out a map please.

I think if you are smart and cautious you will be fine. I can highly recommend Joel Ramirez in Acapulco if you are stopping there. He is very professional and will take you where you want to go. Check out his website http://www.acapulcoexplorer.com/ He is also very reasonable in price and extremely dependable. We have used him both times we were in Acapulco.

Mexico is a large country and most (drugs-related) problems are along the borders or big cities.

Those cities along the Mexican Riviera have not only thousands of cruise-passengers daily, but even more "snow-birds"enjoying their long stay there.

Donot be afraid, enjoy your cruise and make some nice trips.

Use common sense as you would do anywhere.

We were on the Spirit last month and never felt we were in any danger even though we went on independent tours. The cruise lines cannot guarantee your safety, they can only guarantee they will not leave port without you if you book through them. Always be aware of what is going on around you (even at home) and use common sense, but enjoy your travels.

In Mazatlan, we did a Stone Island tour that included a harbor cruise, free lunch, beach time, and two free beach activities. In Cabo we took a water taxi to Lover's Beach, got picked back up later by same water taxi, then walked downtown Cabo, with a stop at CaboWabo.

GO! ENJOY!

Did you book Stone Island and the water taxi ahead of time? With who?

A previous poster mentioned the "armed guards" -- they were there the last time we went in 2008, too.

They were in Cozumel in 2000 when I cruised. Great photo op!

As others have said, these ports are safe provided you are safe and use your common sense like you would anywhere, even downtown in your own city. We went to these three ports last month and they were all perfectly fine and safe.

I'm sorry to hear DH has announced you are not getting off the ship; hopefully you can do some more research and let him see that these ports are safe. Cruise ships wouldn't put their passengers or their reputations at risk stopping at "unsafe ports". If and when the time comes for them to pull out of any of these ports, I'm sure they will.

Go and enjoy your cruise.

Please read this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1262994 so we don't have to beat this dead horse again!

Just returned from our annual stay in Vallarta and the only people who hide on the ship are fools!!!

I agree! Why book a cruise to Mexico to just stay on the ship unless you've been there many times and feel liking hanging out on the ship. I'm cruising there for my 9th time in April and plan to get off in every port.

In regards to armed guards at these ports - there were armed guards in these ports prior to the warnings that people are now seeing for the border cities.

The entire COUNTRY of Mexico is not dangerous just like the entire county of the US is not. Of course there are cities that are having problems but the cruise ports are not those cities. Most of the problems are in the border towns- the nearest border to Cabo for example is over 1000 miles away. Would you stay away from Denver because there is crime in New Orleans?

Please don't paint the entire country of Mexico with the same brush as the problem areas. Millions of tourists visit Mexico on land vacations every year- that hasn't stopped. I was in Cabo for 2 weeks just last month. Chances are that there is more crime in your own city than there is in your cruise ports. Check out a map please.

New Orleans is not a border town.

New Orleans is not a border town.

Point is neither is Cabo or any of the ports that cruise ships vist on Mex Rivera. I have been to New Orleans (loved it) but did not feel as safe there as I do in Puerto Vallarta, Cabo or Mazatlan.

Fear Mongers like to paint Mexico as being all bad and dangerous and sadly some close minded people choose to believe what is simply not true<---a little education goes a long way,

Sorry but the OP lost me at * My husband says we aren't getting off the ship in Mexico* If Mr.Qt dared say that to me....he wouldn't be getting off the ship anywhere but the open sea :rolleyes::D

We were in MR last week and felt very safe. We booked tours with operators that were recommended by people on CC and had a great time. Even my mother-in-law who was freaked out about visiting Mexico had a wonderful time and thought the three ports were very nice places to visit. Have fun.

In regards to armed guards at these ports - there were armed guards in these ports prior to the warnings that people are now seeing for the border cities.

This is something new travelers just need to get over. Everywhere you now travel in the world, you find a much higher and visible presence of security. We first saw it in the Caribbean 25+ years ago. Now you see it in France, Italy ... everywhere. Actually, I'd be more concerned if you didn't see it!! Get off the ship and have fun!!

I just got off a Mexican Riviera cruise during Thanksgiving. There were over 2000 people on the ship and none of us had any problems.

For the ports of call people on this forum will paying visits to, I think the local situations are relatively safe and secure. Acapulco might be the one exception to the comment, though. Even in Acapulco, for the vast majority of passengers risks of being victimized are small. Independent travelers, passengers who like to leave the beaten path and explore some of these ports on their own are the ones who need to be more vigilent, however.

Generally, Mexico is at war. The international media pays little attention to it, but it's been very serious and the fields of battle have expanded. Think of war in Afghanistan, in Iraq ... and place parts of Mexico into the same discussion. The kill rates and deaths are approximate. Many innocent bystanders have been killed and/or badly injured. It's very much worse than you can imagine.

But, to stay 'on point,' the ports of call along the Pacific Coast of Mexico are still pretty safe places to visit.

But ... and another 'but' ... what's happening in Mexico is not happening anyplace in the United States ... so comments indicating Mexico, overall, is as safe as "home" are a bit ridiculous.

Enjoy!

But ... and another 'but' ... what's happening in Mexico is not happening anyplace in the United States ... so comments indicating Mexico, overall, is as safe as "home" are a bit ridiculous.

Enjoy!

Living in the Southwest near the border, I disagree with this comment. And, all of Mexico most certainly is not at war internally. I travel there quite often and am in the process of buying a house in San Carlos. I no longer will go to areas that I love, like Monterrey, but there are many very safe areas still.

Copy:

Generally, Mexico is at war. The international media pays little attention to it, but it's been very serious and the fields of battle have expanded.uncopy.

I disagree, Mexico isnot at war. The government is fighting the drugscartels and we all know where the drugs are going to.

Comparing this with Afghanistan or Irak isnot correct. That has a complete different background.

The international media pay far too much attention to this without looking at the reasons why those problems exist and what can be done about it.

Mexico is a large country and certainly not all areas are dangerous

I understand that those of you engaged in tourism promotion in Mexico are worried, afraid and threatened by the negative publicity about the expanding network of terrorism in the country. Wearing rose-colored glasses may suit you, but I think travelers want valid and unfiltered information. This "general" information isn't of much direct value to people disembarking at most of the ports along the Pacific Coast, as I indicated earlier, but your comments require a reply.

Here's one example of the war against terrorism in Mexico. From the great midwest of Mexico. The city of Morelia. Morelia isn't along the USA/Mexico border. Morelia isn't Acapulco, Cuernavaca or other places in the middle of the country where there's been increased terrorist activity. It's the true and great middle-Mexican area.

A couple of days ago terrorists cut-off access/exiting to Merida. The principal routes, highways were blocked by heavily armed persons. Vehicles were hijacked, turned over and burned. Random gunfire broke out. Public transportation in the city, to/from the city and the huge central bus terminal was shut-down. Cities around the country cancelled all service to Morelia. The Governor declared a state of emergency. Schools were closed. People were told to stay in their homes.

Morelia is no small town. It's a city the size of Atlanta, Boston, Baltimore and Denver (to name a few). Just imagine, a city in the USA or Canada of that size where terrorists had siezed and closed routes into and out of. Imagine that Atlanta closed its schools. Boston cancelled all public transportation. Baltimore shut-down.

These Morelia-type events took place in 11 areas of the state of Michoacan. The Wisconsin of Mexico, so to speak. Innocent people died in the attacks. A baby included - shot to death while being held by its mother who was riding in a taxi which was attacked for no good reason.

An estimated almost 50,000 children have been orphened as a result of these terrorist attacks throughout Mexico - according to a report from NGO's I've read.

No, not all of Mexico is a battlefield. Many parts of it are, though. And to deny this is to admit to ignorance - or deceit.

The international press nor does the Mexican press cover most of what's happening. Reporting is being done by word of mouth, by twitter, by Facebook - because media outlets in Mexico are censoring/not reporting - becuause so many reporters are being murdered because they print these things.

The comparison with what's happening in Afghanistan and Iraq is on-point. It's something also referred to by the U.S. Ambassador to Mexico. The battlefields move frequently and there's no predicting when and where it will move. One day it's in Jalisco (like yesterday and today), or it's in Morelia (the other day), or in Mexico City, or Cuernavaca, or Cancun, or in Manzanillo or near Hermosillo. The Mexican military patrols large portions of the country heavily armed and in APC's. Small tanks are used. Aircraft is used. It's big-league war.

You can run but you can't hide from the truth.

Now, back to our regularly-scheduled programming: read my earlier comments in this discussion about visiting the ports-of-call in this region.

DH and I did the Mexican Riviera last spring. He had the same opinions as your DH. I told him we will only book ship excursions and no wandering around alone like we usually do. I didn't want to travel all the way there and not see any of those ports. It's just a bit intimidating that there are armed guards at every pier. But at the same time I'm glad they were there. It turned out to be one of my favorite cruises! (It was Radiance of the Seas RCCL) Just book ship excursions or do your homework here because it does seem like there are very reputable tour guides that many people have used. Treat these ports like you would any new city you would visit. Use common sense (like no walking down dark alleys alone at night!) and you'll be fine.. Enjoy!

We've been to Mexico a couple dozen times or maybe more....well, too many times to count. Once we heard of all the more recent violence in Mexico, we were nervous about keeping our reservations on the Radiance last spring as well (wonder if it was the same cruise). We did do all ship sponsored tours and so glad we did. We usually go off on our own and don't venture too far from the tourist areas but found ourselves in what may have been some dicey situations. We ended up having the time of our lives on this cruise...one of our favorite of all times. All this after we had kind of sworn it off completely. Needless to say, we have another booked and are very much so looking forward to it. The only port where I think it is a bit unsafe, especially if you try to do it on your own, is Mazatlan. This is really not one of my favorite ports but went to Stone Island last time and really had a good time.

There are areas in the bay area where I live where I would not venture out too far all alone....heck, just had jury duty in a not so desirable area and they had to shut down the train due to police activity -- so found myself stuck there for awhile -- nothing to do but hang around in the jury room until I heard it was ok to go back home. Oh yeah, and it was a gang related murder trial to boot. Glad they ended up excusing me on that one. All I am saying is that there are many very dangerous areas right around our hometowns and we use our common sense or intuition to keep us safe. I think if you do the same while on vacation, you may just give yourself the opportunity to have the time of your life, as we did on the Radiance last year.

PS -- if you choose to stay onboard, that might be very fun as well (do not make you a fool by any means). We have done that on several occassions and was really a treat to have the whole boat / pool area to ourselves. I think either decision you make will be the right one! Just enjoy!!

Archived