Tipping at the Pier in FLL

Carol_Hill

No flames please-this is just an observation and only my humble observation.

Having said all that, I find it interesting that the folks who are the most appalled and are showing the most bravado regarding what they say they would do to an aggressive porter, are those from areas that are not known for tipping.

Ok, I'll bite...what areas are not known for tipping? :confused:

Ok, I'll bite...what areas are not known for tipping? :confused:

It was pretty clear from the posts! Australia and Canada are lovely countries that are not known for being good tippers. No insult intended and like every other observation, there are exceptions from the rule.

Don't mess wit da Union!:cool:
Yup. In many ports, the unions dictate a lot that happens. They can, and will, strike or have the "flu" if they are not happy with conditions. Even when there are signs saying "Tipping is for service", their members will intimidate, "accidentally" lose luggage, etc. Many are honest and hard-working but like so many generalities, it's the few who leave the wrong impression.

Don't mess wit da Union!:cool:[

This thread has me boiling. And I'm not one to be had- when I'm prepared. AND I am prepared for our next trip to FLL. I think we will pack light and just carry our bags on.

Wish I was there right now, I'd have a few words for them if they told me HOW much I needed to pay them. But ofcourse I wouldn't leave my bags with them.

Maybe we should start taking pictures of the porter handling our bags and a close of of the bags.

I think the claim that tipping is 'insurance' is way overrated. We just returned from the Emerald. At Port Everglades, a man took the luggage that our shuttle driver (who we tipped very well) had set out, moved it two feet into a bin, turned to my husband and held out his hand and asked for a tip. They are not supposed to do this. He got NOTHING from us. We still received our luggage, delivered intact to our cabin within 90 minutes or so.

I think the claim that tipping is 'insurance' is way overrated. We just returned from the Emerald. At Port Everglades, a man took the luggage that our shuttle driver (who we tipped very well) had set out, moved it two feet into a bin, turned to my husband and held out his hand and asked for a tip. They are not supposed to do this. He got NOTHING from us. We still received our luggage, delivered intact to our cabin within 90 minutes or so.

It doesn't happen to everyone who doesn't tip, you just have t be the "lucky" one. Kinda like the upgrade fairy!!

Don't mess wit da Union!:cool:[

This thread has me boiling. And I'm not one to be had- when I'm prepared. AND I am prepared for our next trip to FLL. I think we will pack light and just carry our bags on.

Wish I was there right now, I'd have a few words for them if they told me HOW much I needed to pay them. But ofcourse I wouldn't leave my bags with them.

Maybe we should start taking pictures of the porter handling our bags and a close of of the bags.

I make a point of remembering names or jotting them down. Often, I will let them know that I know their names....I got intimidated once and I won't let them do it to me again.

Just curious, how much do people tip the porters at the pier in FLL these days? We will probably have one fairly large heavy suitcase and a case of wine to check. (Definitely NOT Lafite Rothschild '51!! :)) Is $10 too little, too much?? Thanks!

I usually do $5 per bag. :)

We're sailing for the first time in January (out of FLL)..and now I'm worried. Once the bags are on the luggage cart they should make it to the ship, correct? Should we wait to make sure the porter actually puts them on the cart before we head in to board? In the past we've always tipped drivers, bellmen, etc $5-$7 for two bags, and will do the same at the pier. But on the flip side I have no problem telling someone where to go if they try to "intimidate" me into giving a bigger tip. I was a waitress for 2 years and I would never, ever hassle a customer for a bigger tip.

We're sailing for the first time in January (out of FLL)..and now I'm worried. Once the bags are on the luggage cart they should make it to the ship, correct? Should we wait to make sure the porter actually puts them on the cart before we head in to board? In the past we've always tipped drivers, bellmen, etc $5-$7 for two bags, and will do the same at the pier. But on the flip side I have no problem telling someone where to go if they try to "intimidate" me into giving a bigger tip. I was a waitress for 2 years and I would never, ever hassle a customer for a bigger tip.
You won't have a problem.

We tip 2-3 dollars a medium size rolling tote and we each have one tote. FLL isn't as bad as Miami so don't worry about it. Your tip is in line with others. We have seen many that didn't tip at all and their bag got thrown in the same bin with ours.

Archived